How Fast Must a Basketball Player Jump to Reach 85.8 cm?

• Thread starter adad22
  • Start date
In summary, a 92.7 kg basketball player can jump to a height of 85.8 cm by bending his legs until his upper body is dropped by 64.0 cm before beginning his jump. However, the question of what speed he must leave the ground with in order to reach this height cannot be solved without knowing additional information such as the initial height or time taken to reach the top. Any help in solving this problem is appreciated.
adad22
A 92.7 kg basketball player can leap straight up in the air to a height of 85.8 cm. The player bends his legs until the upper part of his body is dropped by 64.0cm, then he begins his jump. With what speed must the player leave the ground to reach a height of 85.8 cm?

The mass is given for the next part of the question which switches to dynamics, or at least that is my assumption. I can not seem to solve for the initial velocity as he leaves the ground because his height is not given nor the time it takes to reach the top or anything else for that matter. I can do the 2nd part on my own if only i could get this first part.

I think I am missing something obvious, any help is greatly appreciated.
-Adrian

Physics news on Phys.org
THank you for moving

Last edited:

I understand your confusion and frustration with this problem. It seems like there are missing pieces of information that are necessary to solve for the initial velocity of the basketball player. In order to accurately calculate the initial velocity, we would need to know the player's height, the duration of their jump, and the acceleration due to gravity. Without these values, it is impossible to accurately solve for the initial velocity.

I would suggest reaching out to the source of the problem and asking for clarification or additional information. In science, it is important to have all the necessary data in order to make accurate calculations and conclusions. Without all the information, any solution would be based on assumptions and could lead to incorrect results.

In the meantime, you could also try setting up a range of possible scenarios and calculate the initial velocity for each one to see if any of them match the given height of 85.8 cm. This could give you an idea of the possible range of values for the initial velocity, but it would not be a definitive answer without all the necessary information.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem-solving!

Related to How Fast Must a Basketball Player Jump to Reach 85.8 cm?

1. What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics is the study of the motion of objects without considering the causes of the motion, such as forces. Dynamics, on the other hand, involves the study of the causes of motion, including forces and their effects on an object's motion.

2. What is a kinematics/dynamics problem?

A kinematics/dynamics problem is a problem that involves analyzing the motion of an object and determining the causes of that motion, such as forces. These types of problems often require the use of equations and calculations to solve.

3. How do you approach solving a kinematics/dynamics problem?

First, you must identify the given information, such as the object's initial and final position, velocity, and acceleration. Then, you can use equations and diagrams to determine the unknown variables and solve the problem. It is important to understand the concepts and principles involved in kinematics and dynamics to effectively solve these types of problems.

4. What are some common equations used in kinematics/dynamics problems?

Some common equations used in kinematics/dynamics problems include the equations for average velocity and acceleration, as well as the equations of motion for objects moving with constant acceleration, such as the equations of uniform motion and the equation of motion with constant acceleration.

5. How can kinematics/dynamics problems be applied in real-life situations?

Kinematics and dynamics are used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics, to understand and analyze the motion of objects. These concepts can be applied to real-life situations, such as designing efficient machines, analyzing the movement of athletes, or understanding the motion of celestial bodies.