How Fast Must a Basketball Player Jump to Reach 83.7 cm?

• Thread starter meudiolava
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basketball
In summary: AZING!In summary, the player must leave the ground at a speed of 58.1 cm/s in order to reach a height of 83.7 cm.
meudiolava
A 93.7 kg basketball player can leap straight up in the air to a height of 83.7 cm, as shown below. The player bends his legs until the upper part of his body is dropped by 58.1 cm, then he begins his jump. With what speed must the player leave the ground to reach a height of 83.7 cm?

I'm really stumped on how to do this question. I tried calculating the velocity he has when he reaches the ground, but that isn't right.

I don't really know what to do with the distance he drops his body by either.

A little help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the question state how high the player can reach when standing on their toes? That's the baseline height that is needed, IMO. That is the position the player is in as they "leave the ground", and then you just use the standard kinematic equations to calculate the Vo needed to get whatever the delta-y is up to 83.7cm.

That's what i did, but the answer is wrong.

I used:

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad

I made:
a= -9.81 (because its in the negative direction)
d=8.31 m
and Vf 0 (once he reaches the top he has no more velocity). Then I isolated for Vi.

I think I have to do something with the fact that he's bent over a bit, but I have no idea what. I also don't understand why my method isn't working.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

What does the picture "shown below" show?

did you change everything into SI units?

Here is the picture. I hope this works!

And yes, I changed it to SI units. Thanks for the suggestion anyways!

Attachments

• bball.png
    bball.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 468
meudiolava said:
That's what i did, but the answer is wrong.

I used:

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad

I made:
a= -9.81 (because its in the negative direction)
d=8.31 m
The distance is given as d = 83.7 cm = 0.837 m.

meudiolava said:
I think I have to do something with the fact that he's bent over a bit, but I have no idea what. I also don't understand why my method isn't working.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Your method is correct. The fact that he is bent over appears to be irrelevant to this part of the question.

AM

Related to How Fast Must a Basketball Player Jump to Reach 83.7 cm?

1. What is the purpose of studying the mechanics of a basketball player's jump?

The purpose of studying the mechanics of a basketball player's jump is to better understand the physical movements and forces involved in producing a successful jump. This can help coaches and trainers improve players' techniques and prevent injuries.

2. How high can a basketball player jump?

The height of a basketball player's jump can vary greatly depending on their physical abilities and training. The current world record for the highest standing vertical jump is held by Kadour Ziani at 60 inches, but most professional basketball players have a vertical jump between 28-40 inches.

3. What muscles are used in a basketball player's jump?

The main muscles used in a basketball player's jump are the quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, and calf muscles. These muscles work together to extend the legs and propel the player off the ground. Core muscles also play a role in stabilizing the body during the jump.

4. How can a basketball player improve their jumping ability?

To improve their jumping ability, basketball players can focus on strength and power training exercises such as squats, deadlifts, and plyometrics. They can also work on their technique and form, as well as incorporating proper nutrition and rest into their training routine.

5. Are there any risks associated with jumping in basketball?

Yes, there are risks associated with jumping in basketball. Repeated high-intensity jumping can put stress on the joints and muscles, increasing the risk of injury. It is important for players to properly warm up, stretch, and use proper jumping techniques to minimize the risk of injury.