How High Did the Basketball Player Jump?

• Thread starter majormuss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basketball
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a basketball player jumping for a rebound and determining the height of the jump. Different equations and attempts at solving the problem are mentioned, with confusion arising due to the player's initial velocity being unknown. Eventually, it is determined that the correct answer is '2' and the conversation ends with gratitude for the help provided.
majormuss

Homework Statement

A basketball player jumped straight up to grab a
rebound. If she was in the air for 0.80 second,
how high did she jump?
(1) 0.50 m (3) 1.2 m
(2) 0.78 m (4) 3.1 m

Homework Equations

d=Vit + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

my calculations lead to '4' as my final answer, but the book tells me otherwise. There must be something I am missing. need help.

Physics news on Phys.org

majormuss said:

Homework Equations

d=Vit + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

my calculations lead to '4' as my final answer, but the book tells me otherwise. There must be something I am missing. need help.

The player is initially at rest and is only subjected to the acceleration of gravity.

rock.freak667 said:
The player is initially at rest and is only subjected to the acceleration of gravity.

Exactly!, that's i also assumed and if u work it out with that formula the answer turns out 3.1 m/s... but the book says my answer should be 1.2m/s... doesn't make any sense to me at all.

majormuss said:
Exactly!, that's i also assumed and if u work it out with that formula the answer turns out 3.1 m/s... but the book says my answer should be 1.2m/s... doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Well actually '2' seems to work out more, I don't know how your book for 1.2m.

At the highest point, t=0.4s.

The problem is that the player's initial velocity is not zero, but unknown. I need to be on my way or I give the eq. you need.

majormuss said:
A basketball player jumped straight up to grab a
rebound. If she was in the air for 0.80 second,
how high did she jump?

Hi majormuss! :smile:

She reached the top after 0.40 seconds, so the question is the same as 'how far does something fall in 0.40 seconds?' :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi majormuss! :smile:

She reached the top after 0.40 seconds, so the question is the same as 'how far does something fall in 0.40 seconds?' :wink:

thanks bro, that was very helpful...it turns the answer was really '2', I misread!.. thanks everyone.

Related to How High Did the Basketball Player Jump?

1. What is basketball player kinetics?

Basketball player kinetics is the study of the movements and forces involved in basketball, such as jumping, running, and shooting. It combines principles of physics, biomechanics, and human movement to understand how players generate and control their movements on the court.

2. How does basketball player kinetics affect performance?

Basketball player kinetics can significantly impact an athlete's performance by improving their efficiency, power, and technique. For example, understanding the biomechanics of shooting can help a player improve their accuracy and consistency.

3. Can basketball player kinetics prevent injuries?

While it cannot completely prevent injuries, studying basketball player kinetics can help identify potential risk factors and develop strategies to minimize them. For example, understanding how certain movements put stress on the body can help players modify their technique to reduce the risk of injury.

4. How do scientists study basketball player kinetics?

Scientists study basketball player kinetics through various methods, including motion analysis, force plate measurements, and muscle activity recordings. They may also use computer simulations and mathematical models to analyze and predict the movements and forces involved in basketball.

5. How can understanding basketball player kinetics benefit coaches and players?

Coaches and players can benefit from understanding basketball player kinetics by using it to improve their training, technique, and overall performance. It can also help them make informed decisions about game strategy and team dynamics based on individual players' strengths and limitations.