How Fast Does Volume Increase When Pressure Decreases in Adiabatic Expansion?

You will get an equation in terms of dP/dt and dV/dt.Since the volume V and the pressure P are related by the equation PV^(1.4)=C, we can use implicit differentiation to find the relationship between their rates of change. In summary, at a certain instant where the volume is 450 cubic centimeters and the pressure is 81 kPa and decreasing at a rate of 10 kPa/minute, the volume is increasing at a rate of approximately 1.23 cubic centimeters per minute.
Neil6790

Homework Statement

When air expands adiabatically (without gaining or losing heat), its pressure P and volume V are related by the equation PV^(1.4)=C where C is a constant. Suppose that at a certain instant the volume is 450 cubic centimeters and the pressure is 81 kPa and is decreasing at a rate of 10 kPa/minute. At what rate in cubic centimeters per minute is the volume increasing at this instant?

Homework Equations

I have no idea what any relevant equations would be.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know really where to start but I figured the kPa would be 71 and then 61 and so on... Maybe I take the derivative of the entire thing but that's an option

Physics news on Phys.org
You have :

PV^(1.4)=C

Try differentiate it. If you do you will see it become a algebra problem where you will
be solving for dv.

I agree with tnutty, try differentiating it implicitly with respect to t(time).

Related to How Fast Does Volume Increase When Pressure Decreases in Adiabatic Expansion?

What is the Rate of Increase problem?

The Rate of Increase problem is a mathematical concept that involves determining the percent increase of a value over a period of time. It is often used in business and economics to analyze growth rates and forecast future trends.

How do you calculate the rate of increase?

The rate of increase is calculated by taking the difference between the final value and initial value, dividing it by the initial value, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage. The formula is [(final value - initial value) / initial value] * 100.

What is the significance of the rate of increase?

The rate of increase is significant because it helps us understand the growth or decline of a particular value over time. It can also help us make predictions about future trends and make informed decisions in business and economics.

What factors can affect the rate of increase?

There are several factors that can affect the rate of increase, such as changes in demand, competition, economic conditions, and technological advancements. These factors can either accelerate or slow down the growth rate of a value.

How can the rate of increase be used in real-life scenarios?

The rate of increase can be used in various real-life scenarios, such as predicting sales growth, analyzing stock market trends, determining population growth, and forecasting inflation rates. It is also helpful in decision-making processes, such as budget planning and investment strategies.