How much does the radius at the surface of the water increase per inch?

In summary, the problem involves finding the rate of change of the radius of a truncated cone with a smaller radius of 5 feet, larger radius of 10 feet, and a depth of 1 foot. The given information can be used to write a simple function that relates the two radii and the depth of the cone, which can then be used to find the desired rate of change.
caters

Homework Statement

A truncated cone has smaller radius of 5 feet, larger radius of 10 feet, and a depth of 1 foot. Total volume is approximately 183 cubic feet. If I have water in there at x inches how much does the radius at the surface of the water increase per inch?

Homework Equations

f(x) = x^n
f'(x) = nx^(n-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

If I know this then I can just multiply it by the number of inches a particular volume takes up in a truncated cone with a particular smaller radius(in this case 5 feet). I would imagine that this requires me to do this derivative:

$$\frac{dr}{dx} \pi r^2 x |0\leq x\leq 12\, and\, 5 \leq r \leq 10$$

where x is the height from the bottom of the truncated cone to the surface of the water.

However I think the rate of change is constant since the slope of the metal surface is constant so that would require that I take the derivative twice. That would give me the derivative of 2pirx which since everything but the x is a constant relative to the derivative operator would be 1. But it can't change by 1 foot per inch or it would have to have a larger radius of 17 ft.

So what is $$\Delta{r}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Radius increases 5 feet in 1 foot. So it increases how much in 1 inch?

Other comments:

Radius increases 5 feet in 1 foot of depth. Hmm... Kind of a very broad bowl. Ok.

Who says the surface is metal?

Why are you taking derivatives of volumes?

If you are going to do it using volumes and derivatives, you need the volume as a function of x, not as a function of r and x, since you want r as a function of x. So what is r as a function of x? Oh wait, that's the thing you are looking for...

Well this is one of the problems related to my solar still so the surface is metal.

the reason I am taking derivatives of volumes is so that I can find $$\Delta{r}$$ since the derivative is the rate of change and that is exactly what I am looking for is the rate of change of the radius for every inch of water.

caters said:

Homework Statement

A truncated cone has smaller radius of 5 feet, larger radius of 10 feet, and a depth of 1 foot. Total volume is approximately 183 cubic feet. If I have water in there at x inches how much does the radius at the surface of the water increase per inch?

Homework Equations

f(x) = x^n
f'(x) = nx^(n-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

If I know this then I can just multiply it by the number of inches a particular volume takes up in a truncated cone with a particular smaller radius(in this case 5 feet). I would imagine that this requires me to do this derivative:

$$\frac{dr}{dx} \pi r^2 x |0\leq x\leq 12\, and\, 5 \leq r \leq 10$$

where x is the height from the bottom of the truncated cone to the surface of the water.

However I think the rate of change is constant since the slope of the metal surface is constant so that would require that I take the derivative twice. That would give me the derivative of 2pirx which since everything but the x is a constant relative to the derivative operator would be 1. But it can't change by 1 foot per inch or it would have to have a larger radius of 17 ft.

So what is $$\Delta{r}$$
The problem is asking for the rate of change of the radius of the truncated cone w.r.t. depth. Why do you assume that this is a function of πr2?

You are given three pieces of information about the changing radius:
1. the smaller radius is 5 feet
2. the larger radius is 10 feet
3. the depth of the cone between these radii is 1 foot, or 12 inches.

Can you write a simple function which relates the two radii and the depth of the cone?

Hint: plot the relationship between the three pieces of data given above.

Related to How much does the radius at the surface of the water increase per inch?

1. How is the radius at the surface of the water affected by an increase of one inch?

The radius at the surface of the water will increase by approximately one inch. This is due to the surface tension of water, which causes it to form a curved surface. When an additional inch of water is added, the surface tension will cause the water to spread out and increase the radius at the surface.

2. Is the increase in radius consistent throughout the entire body of water?

No, the increase in radius at the surface of the water will only occur at the surface. As you go deeper into the body of water, the radius will decrease due to the pressure of the water above.

3. Does the type of container or vessel used affect the increase in radius at the surface of the water?

Yes, the type of container or vessel used can affect the increase in radius at the surface of the water. For example, a wider and shallower container will have a larger increase in radius compared to a taller and narrower container.

4. Are there any factors other than surface tension that can affect the increase in radius at the surface of the water?

Yes, temperature can also have an impact on the increase in radius at the surface of the water. Warmer water has a lower surface tension, so the increase in radius may be slightly larger compared to colder water.

5. Is the increase in radius at the surface of the water a linear relationship with the added inch of water?

No, the increase in radius at the surface of the water is not a linear relationship with the added inch of water. It will follow a curved pattern due to the surface tension of water. The increase in radius will also be affected by the shape and size of the container, as well as the temperature of the water.