How Effective Are These Logical Negations?

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
In summary, we discussed the concept of negation and how it applies to various statements. We covered examples such as the existence of a grey cat, the ownership of cats, the color of fire engines and ambulances, the presence of students in a class, and the uniqueness of a value satisfying a given condition. We also looked at the negations of these statements and discussed different interpretations and possibilities.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) There exists a grey cat.
Negation: Every cat is not grey.

2) For all cats there exists an owner.
Negation: There exists a cat without an owner.

3) There exists a grey cat for all owners.
Negation: There exists an owner that can't own a grey cat.

4) Every fire engine is red and every ambulance is white.
Negation: There exists a fire engine that isn't red or there exists an ambulance that isn't white.

5) Some of the students in the class are not here today.
Negation: Every student is in class today.

6) Let ##x,y,z \in \mathbb{Z}##. For all x there exists a y such that ##x=y+z##.
Negation: Let ##x,y,z \in \mathbb{Z}##. There exists an x such that for all y, ##x \ne y+z##.

7) There exists unique x such that P(x) us true.
Negation: If x satisfies P(x) then there is a y distinct from x which does too.

8) All mathematics students are hardworking.
Negation: There exists a mathematics student who is lazy.

9) Only some of the students of the class are here today.
Negation: Every student is not in class today.

10) The number ##\sqrt{x}## is rational if ##x## is an integer.
Negation: There exists an integer ##x## such that ##\sqrt{x}## is irrational.I know that this is quite a bit, but I want to make sure that I have negation down.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) There exists a grey cat.
Negation: Every cat is not grey.
o
o
o
I know that this is quite a bit, but I want to make sure that I have negation down.

For (1), I would say that the negation of "There exists a grey cat" is "there does not exist a grey cat = there are no grey cats".

Ray Vickson said:
For (1), I would say that the negation of "There exists a grey cat" is "there does not exist a grey cat = there are no grey cats".
I agree. Otherwise does it seem good?

Mr Davis 97 said:
I agree. Otherwise does it seem good?

I did not look at all the others: too many questions!

Ray Vickson said:
I did not look at all the others: too many questions!
Could I just get some help on 6) and 7) then? I think those are the two I am most unsure about.

Mr Davis 97 said:
Could I just get some help on 6) and 7) then? I think those are the two I am most unsure about.

For 7) suppose there is no ##x## such that ##P(x)## is true?

Dick said:
For 7) suppose there is no ##x## such that ##P(x)## is true?
All I did was take the statement of uniqueness and negated it, to get ##\forall x(P(x) \to \exists y(P(y) \wedge y \ne x))##, and then reinterpreted it in natural language to say "If x satisfies P(x) then there is a y distinct from x which does too." Is this wrong?

Mr Davis 97 said:
All I did was take the statement of uniqueness and negated it, to get ##\forall x(P(x) \to \exists y(P(y) \wedge y \ne x))##, and then reinterpreted it in natural language to say "If x satisfies P(x) then there is a y distinct from x which does too." Is this wrong?

It seems to me that 7) is equivalent to "The number of values of ##x## satisfying ##P(x)## is 1." How would you negate that?

Dick said:
It seems to me that 7) is equivalent to "The number of values of ##x## satisfying ##P(x)## is 1." How would you negate that?
Wouldn't the negation be that there are either 0 or more than 1 value satisfying ##P##?

Mr Davis 97 said:

For (6): it seems to me that the negation of "For all x there exists a y such that x=y+z" would be "There is x such that there is no y giving x=y+z." (In other words, there is an x such that x-z is not an integer.)

Ray Vickson said:
For (6): it seems to me that the negation of "For all x there exists a y such that x=y+z" would be "There is x such that there is no y giving x=y+z." (In other words, there is an x such that x-z is not an integer.)
Is what I did for 6) necessarily wrong though? Or is it just not the best interpretation?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Wouldn't the negation be that there are either 0 or more than 1 value satisfying ##P##?

That's how I read it.

Mr Davis 97 said:
Is what I did for 6) necessarily wrong though? Or is it just not the best interpretation?
Actually, you may be right. Or maybe not!
Statement: ##\forall x \: \exists y \; \text{such that} \: x = y+z##.
Negation of S: ##\exists x\: \text{such that}\: \sim[ \exists y \:\text{s.t.} \: x=y+x]##, where ##\sim## denotes negation. So, what is ##\sim[ \exists y \: \text{s.t.} \: x=y+x]##?

$$\sim \exists y \: \text{s.t.} \; x = y+z = \forall y ~[x=y+z] = \forall y \;\; x \neq y+z$$

So, your answer is OK, but the one I gave is actually equivalent to it.

Related to How Effective Are These Logical Negations?

1. What is the purpose of practicing with negations?

Practicing with negations allows us to understand and use negative statements in a clear and effective manner. This skill is important in scientific research as it allows for accurate communication and analysis of results.

2. How can I improve my ability to use negations in scientific writing?

One way to improve your ability is to actively read and analyze scientific papers, paying attention to how authors use negations to convey their findings. Additionally, practicing writing your own sentences with negations and seeking feedback from colleagues can also help improve your skills.

3. Are there any common pitfalls to avoid when using negations in scientific writing?

Yes, some common pitfalls include using double negatives, overusing negations, and using vague or ambiguous language. It is important to carefully consider the language and tone of your negations to ensure clear and accurate communication.

4. How can I use negations to strengthen my arguments in a scientific paper?

Negations can be used to highlight important contrasts and emphasize the significance of your findings. They can also be used to refute counterarguments and strengthen the validity of your research.

5. Are there any resources available to help improve my understanding and use of negations in scientific writing?

Yes, there are many online resources and style guides that offer tips and examples for using negations in scientific writing. Additionally, seeking feedback and guidance from experienced researchers or mentors can also be helpful in improving your skills.