Validity of Mathematical Statements

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
Thanks again, Haruspex.In summary, the textbook's answer for part c) is incorrect and should be \forall x \exists a \exists b(a ≠ b \wedge \forall c(c² = x ↔ (c = a \vee c = b))). Your answer for part d) is also incorrect and should be \forall x((x < 0) \implies \neg \exists y (x = y^2)).
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Express each of these mathematical statements using predicates, quantifiers, logical connectives, and mathematical operators.

c) Every positive real number has exactly two square roots.

d) A negative real number does not have a square root that is a real number.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part c), the answer in the textbook is, [itex]\forall x \exists a \exists b(a ≠ b \wedge \exists c(c² = x ↔ (c = a \vee c = b)))[/itex] my answer is, [itex]\forall x \exists y \exists z [((x > 0) \wedge (a \ne b)) \implies ((\sqrt{x} = y) \wedge (\sqrt{x} = z))][/itex]

For part d), the answer in the textbook is, [itex]\forall x ((x < 0) \implies \neg \exists y (x = y^2))[/itex]; my answer is, [itex]\forall x[(x < 0) \implies (\sqrt{x} \notin \mathbb{R})[/itex]

I was wondering, are my answers as valid as the ones provided in the textbook?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer to (c) introduces y and z, but uses a and b afterwards?
You cannot use the square root symbol here - it is a function with only one value (the positive root). It cannot be a AND b at the same time, as you want a!=b.
You probably don't want the effect of "=>" in your formula. It is satisfied even if both sides are wrong (with a=b, for example), so it does not make any statement about the existence of roots at all.

For (d): You cannot write ##\sqrt{x}## if you don't know if that is defined at all. With complex numbers, that is possible, but even then you need a definition of the square root function first.

are my answers as valid as the ones provided in the textbook?
The short answer: No.

Okay, well I understand the textbook's answer for part d); however, I am having a little more difficulty with part c). My question is, where does it answer specify that x is positive? And to be clear, a and b are the two roots that are mentioned in the original statement?

My question is, where does it answer specify that x is positive?
That is the magic of "<=>". For negative x, there is no such c, both sides are false and the equality holds. I would write ##\forall x \in \mathbb{R}^+##, however.

##\in \mathbb{R}## for all symbols is missing.

I think it has been assumed that all variables range over the real numbers. For this reason, (d) is incorrect as it assumes the square root of x is real for any candidate x.

I didn't notice that the book's answer for (c) is wrong. I don't particularly like the book's answer anyhow. I think I would use this logic: x has two distinct roots and any third root is non-distinct.

Bashyboy: see if you can translate my statement.

Bashyboy said:
For part c), the answer in the textbook is, [itex]\forall x \exists a \exists b(a ≠ b \wedge \exists c(c² = x ↔ (c = a \vee c = b)))[/itex]
I can't make much sense of that. Are you sure you've copied this correctly?

Haruspex, that is actually copied-and-pasted from my electronic textbook, so there can't possible exist any error in transcribing.

Bashyboy said:
Haruspex, that is actually copied-and-pasted from my electronic textbook, so there can't possible exist any error in transcribing.

Well, it's wrong. It should be [itex]\forall x \exists a \exists b(a ≠ b \wedge \forall c(c² = x ↔ (c = a \vee c = b)))[/itex]. Note the ##\forall c##.

Ah, yes, that is in fact more comprehensible.

Related to Validity of Mathematical Statements

1. What is the purpose of translating statements?

The purpose of translating statements is to convert a statement from one language to another language while maintaining its meaning. This is often done to facilitate communication or understanding between individuals who speak different languages.

2. What are the steps involved in translating statements?

The steps involved in translating statements may vary depending on the specific context and languages involved, but generally include: identifying the source language and target language, understanding the meaning and context of the statement, finding equivalent words or phrases in the target language, and ensuring the translated statement accurately reflects the original meaning.

3. Can a statement be translated without changing its meaning?

In most cases, a statement can be translated without changing its meaning. However, there may be instances where certain words or phrases do not have direct translations in the target language, leading to slight differences in meaning. Additionally, cultural and linguistic nuances may also impact the translation process.

4. How accurate are machine translations compared to human translations?

Machine translations, while improving, are still not as accurate as human translations. This is because machines lack the ability to understand context, cultural nuances, and idiomatic expressions that may be present in a statement. Human translators can also make more nuanced and accurate decisions when it comes to choosing the best translation for a particular statement.

5. Is it possible for a statement to have multiple valid translations?

Yes, it is possible for a statement to have multiple valid translations. This is because different languages may have different ways of expressing the same idea or concept. Additionally, a statement may have different interpretations or meanings depending on the context in which it is used, leading to multiple valid translations.