How easily earn advanced degree, any humanities

In summary, the ease of getting into an advanced degree program for a humanities subject compared to a science, math, or engineering subject depends on one's talents and interests. For some, it may be easier to get into a humanities program, while for others it may be easier to get into a science program. Humanities refer to academic disciplines that study human society and culture, and include subjects like languages, literature, philosophy, and history. These disciplines use critical and speculative methods and have a significant historical element. The requirements for getting into a Masters' program vary among schools, and it is important to research and compare different schools based on their reputation and entry requirements before applying.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
How easy is it to get into any ADVANCED DEGREE program for a HUMANITIES subject, like in comparison to any science, math, or engineering subject?

Science news on Phys.org
symbolipoint said:
How easy is it to get into any ADVANCED DEGREE program for a HUMANITIES subject, like in comparison to any science, math, or engineering subject?
Depends on where your talents and interests lie. If you like science then it would be easier than analyzing a 13th Century document on marriage customs on Verona. I dislike math and loved history, so an advanced degree in History was easy for me.

Likes UsableThought
Noisy Rhysling said:
Depends on where your talents and interests lie. If you like science then it would be easier than analyzing a 13th Century document on marriage customs on Verona. I dislike math and loved history, so an advanced degree in History was easy for me.
Helpful that is. What I INCLUDE as humanities is other than just History or Art or connections to social sciences, areas of Languages and Linguistics, and even music.

My friend told me she had to fight over 200 people for 20 position for her masters degree in psychology. There were only 20 spots for masters open for masters her masters in psychology. Her sister had to move away to a different city just so she wouldn't over to fight with other people for her masters in humanities. I have no idea if it's like that for over majors.

From Wiki:

Humanities are academic disciplines that study aspects of human society and culture. In the renaissance, the term contrasted with divinity and referred to what is now called classics, the main area of secular study in universities at the time. Today, the humanities are more frequently contrasted with natural, and sometimes social, sciences as well as professional training.[1]

The humanities use methods that are primarily critical, or speculative, and have a significant historical element[2]—as distinguished from the mainly empiricalapproaches of the natural sciences,[2] yet, unlike the sciences, it has no central discipline.[3] The humanities include ancient and modern languages, literature, philosophy, geography, history, religion,[4] art and musicology.

Scholars in the humanities are "humanity scholars" or humanists.[5] The term "humanist" also describes the philosophical position of humanism, which some "antihumanist" scholars in the humanities refuse. The Renaissance scholars and artists were also called humanists. Some secondary schools offer humanities classes usually consisting of English literature, global studies and art.

Human disciplines like history and cultural anthropology study subject matters that the experimental method does not apply to—and instead mainly use the comparative method[6] and comparative research.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanities

If you can travel, pick out a school that is strong in the area you're interested in studying.

Let me give a more specific example or comparison.

One can get a undergraduate degree in something like Physics, have a GPA maybe 3, and then find to get into a Masters' program is tough to do. Too competetive

One might or might not have a STEM type degree, but might one day try to earn an undergraduate degree in French or German, and maybe have a GPA of 3.1 or 3.3 (or 3.5 or 3.6 or something); is finding entrance to a Masters' degree program easier to do?

That's too broad a question. Schools vary on their requirements. If I was going to grad school again I would find schools I wanted to attend based on their record and reputation, then compare entry requirements for their grad school.

Related to How easily earn advanced degree, any humanities

What is an advanced degree in humanities?

An advanced degree in humanities is a graduate-level degree that focuses on the study of human culture, history, language, and society. This can include fields such as literature, philosophy, history, and anthropology.

How long does it take to earn an advanced degree in humanities?

The length of time it takes to earn an advanced degree in humanities can vary depending on the specific program and the student's pace. On average, it takes 2-3 years to earn a master's degree and 4-6 years to earn a doctoral degree.

What are the benefits of earning an advanced degree in humanities?

Earning an advanced degree in humanities can lead to a wide range of career opportunities, including teaching, research, writing, and working in the nonprofit sector. It can also provide a strong foundation for critical thinking, communication, and problem-solving skills.

Is it difficult to earn an advanced degree in humanities?

Earning an advanced degree in humanities can be challenging, as it requires a significant amount of reading, writing, and critical thinking. However, with dedication and hard work, it is achievable for those who are passionate about the subject.

How can I fund my advanced degree in humanities?

There are various ways to fund an advanced degree in humanities, including scholarships, grants, student loans, and assistantships. It is essential to research and apply for all available options to help cover the cost of tuition and other expenses.