How does your Garden grow? part 2

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    garden
In summary, a squirrel dug into a few of the plants and the gardener is now picking out pepper plants to try. Some people like sweet peppers, others like hot peppers, and one plant is different from the others. The plant that did well started flowering this year after being neglected for two years.
As the clock of the season ticks on, i notice each wildflower coming into its own. While mowing the grassy field last week, I am seeing the burnt orange blossoms of devil's paintbrush (aka orange hawkweed, Hieracium aurantiacum) a vivid contrast to the green grass.

(Others have appreciated this seasonal clock before me; Henry David Thoreau and Aldo Leopold kept annual journals, recording flowering times for many wild plants)
orange%20hawkweed%20devils%20paintbrush%20Hieracium%20aurantiacum%2002.jpg

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff
Physics news on Phys.org
Does any know why a hydrangea won't bloom?

The tomato garden with a few peppers, chives and misc things.
19137811591_9f7e7204d9_b_d.jpg

Some flowers on the back deck:
19128678802_1a08b4093e_b_d.jpg

Some (soon to be giant) sunflowers about to be replanted in the front of the house.

18946917190_c71d06c10c_b_d.jpg

NSA, why are your vegetable plants still in their pots, stuck in the ground? I've never seen that before.

Evo said:
NSA, why are your vegetable plants still in their pots, stuck in the ground? I've never seen that before.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that was odd.

Zz.

Evo said:

That's just sections of yard edging the wife put into keep the giant slugs and critters from the base of the plants.
19139485241_7e9fc9cfe4_b_d.jpg

19136063025_7bd448c181_b_d.jpg

Ah, ok.

Evo said:
I've never seen that before
I've seen that done on biodegradable pots where you'd cut out the bottoms before putting in a pre-dug hole. But in this case, I figured it was one of the "spook" tricks, so I wasn't going to ask. :oldbiggrin:

dlgoff said:
I've seen that done on biodegradable pots where you'd cut out the bottoms before putting in a pre-dug hole. But in this case, I figured it was one of the "spook" tricks, so I wasn't going to ask. :oldbiggrin:

The only thing spooky is the size of the slugs in this state. They can eat small trees. o0)
img_0702.jpg

Likes OmCheeto, lisab and dlgoff
nsaspook said:
The only think spooky is the size of the slugs in this state.
img_0702.jpg
And I thought the deer were bad for my garden. Poor Spook. :oldcry:

nsaspook said:
The only thing spooky is the size of the slugs in this state. They can eat small trees. o0)
img_0702.jpg
AAAAARRRRGH!

We have similar snails here (both in size and color). Ugly plague, not native.

While my roses are going wild in my front yard, my backyard is going wild with the astilbe. I think of all the 4 years that I've had them, this is the most lush and the most flowers that I've seen from them. I have 2 well-established clumps of them, and 1 that I planted only last year. The new one is still not flowering much and still trying to establish itself, but the other two are doing quite well.

p4M16h.jpg

avP4xS.jpg

Strangely enough, without planning it, there is an over-abundance of "white" flowers in my backyard. The astilbe is white, the blossoms from the dwarf crab apple tree was white at the beginning of spring, and there are at least 2 or 3 more plants that shoot out white flowers. Luckily, spots of day lilies, rhododendrons, and a few others will eventually break up the whiteness when they all finally bloom.

Zz.

Likes Borek
Gorgeous Zz! So this year sounds like suddenly all of your outdoor plants are flourishing.

Evo said:
Gorgeous Zz! So this year sounds like suddenly all of your outdoor plants are flourishing.
I think Zz has had lots of rain up there like us. Some things here are doing really well despite the lack of sun light. But now that summer is really here, the high temps & humidity and finally the SUN, even my "deer pruned" garden veggies are coming on.

dlgoff said:
I think Zz has had lots of rain up there like us. Some things here are doing really well despite the lack of sun light. But now that summer is really here, the high temps & humidity and finally the SUN, even my "deer pruned" garden veggies are coming on.
Oh, that's wonderful! I was wondering if you were going to try after all. The healthiest, biggest pepper I have is the one that had the stem broken 2 inches above the ground.

Likes dlgoff
Now, on the other side of my backyard, I have this small patch that is partially shaded. I've planted several things here, including a few milkweeds. Last year, I saw two monarch butterflies hovering over the milkweeds, and I'm hoping this year we'll get more.

hbLCGt.jpg

QD1VL5.jpg

And yes, if you look closely, I have rather "naughty gnome" as one of my garden decoration. :) But I also have this meerkat sticking his head out of the ground.

0icegV.jpg

I also planted several cherry tomatoes on planters. This one has lots of green ones, waiting to ripen. This ripens into bright yellow cherry tomatoes.

M7V8TR.jpg

Of course, I have lots of herbs for cooking. My basil and thyme plants are still not fully grown yet, but my rosemary is doing very well. Have gotten lots of use out of it already.
R1BlXm.jpg

The same can be said of my peppermint. I use it as an ingredient in Vietnamese spring rolls and also to make Moroccan mint tea.
udfD7l.jpg
Zz.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle, lisab and dlgoff
Wow Zz. I never realized what a gardener you were!

Particle accelerators and vegetables; my favorite things.

Growing tomatoes, and growing photocathodes... not that big of a difference.

:)

Zz.

Likes dlgoff and Borek
Gardening is sometime a hit-and-miss thing. You can fuss over and put all your effort in nurturing something, and yet, it might still die and not make it. Then, at the other end of the spectrum, you can completely ignore something and it thrives!

I have posted maybe a year or two ago of my most favorite lilies. It has huge flowers (~6-8 inches across) and it has a gorgeous peach color. We didn't plant them. They were there when we moved in, although we didn't know they existed until the following summer since we moved into our house in November. Turns out, we have 3 different areas where this lily (I'll call 'em "peachy") exists. When I first saw them flowered that first year, I was amazed at their size and color. I took care of two of them really well. The third was not in a good spot, and so I kinda ignored it and let other plants (hosta, other ground cover, etc.) took over the patch.

Well, guess what? The one that I ignored just because the first peachy to flower and open up! While the other two have been putting out buds so far, the ignored one quietly and well ahead over everybody else put out its shoots and today, I saw for the first time, the huge, gorgeous flower!
5E8nQf.jpg

And look at where it is growing. Like I said, I neglect this patch because it is tucked in an area that doesn't get seen often.
s9BWmp.jpg

And then, there's just something that is so tenacious, it just won't die. That November after we moved in, we had a landscaper come in and redid the backyard. They pulled out a lot of plants, moved them around, and then put fresh layer of mulch. After 3 years, I noticed this plant suddenly emerging in between the mulch. I noticed it because it was putting out this purple flowers. I didn't plant it, and I know that the landscaper didn't either. It is not in the most ideal location, right next to the Honeysuckle bush. But ever since then, it keeps on growing bigger and bigger each year. I decided to keep it because it provides a nice contrast of colors in that part of the yard. Can anyone identify what plants this is?

e72GBW.jpg

FhUYM1.jpg

So in this case, it is not only neglect, but also something that I didn't plant. But since a couple of years ago, I've made sure I am taking care of it and that part of the yard.

Zz.

Likes dlgoff
That's what I was guessing too, but one of my friends didn't think it was a blue bell due to the shape of the leaves. But looking at one of the photos, the leaves appear to match.

Zz.

Some years ago, we got a Jasmine tree from someone who didn't have room for it. We put it outside in the spring and then wheel it into the house in the fall. It tends to bloom very fragrantly twice a year after each move. The location outside gets some morning sun but is shaded in the afternoon. It's been liking the rain that we've gotten over the last few weeks.

JasmineTree.JPG

Here's a closeup of one of the blooms with morning dew on it.
JasmineBloom.JPG

Oh well, speaking about blooms and all.

garden_grows1.jpg

Likes Enigman
Borek said:
Oh well, speaking about blooms and all.

garden_grows1.jpg

Where, Borek? I don't see any!

:DD

Zz.

I've picked a huge amount of very sweet cherry tomatoes this year.
19954689130_0d28b28506_b_d.jpg

19954605988_8e15191e35_b_d.jpg

The yard edging around the plants also makes keeping it clean easy.

Nice haul NSA! I'm not getting squat for some reason. I had to move the plants to the front porch due to the squirrels in the back stealing tomatoes. I have one tomato starting to ripen and maybe a dozen tiny green ones, the peppers have all failed so far, get a few the size of my thumb starting to turn red already, no peppers at all on three plants and one on another. I just do not get it, I'm doing what all I always do. maybe due to the cold, wet spring and early summer they are just behind schedule and they will suddenly be packed with small fruit a week before the first killing frost.

This morning the wife tells me there are raccoons living under the garden and tool sheds (it never ends :H). I'll try the high-tech solution first to move them out with a few junk fire strobe lights connected to old car batteries. If I hear a dance party the next day then it's on to stage II chemical warfare.

20169464912_3a4b83109f_n_d.jpg

Likes OmCheeto
Just came in from collecting this stuff. It's a start considering having to start over twice because of hungry deer..

itsastart.jpg

Likes Evo, JorisL and Borek
dlgoff said:
Just came in from collecting this stuff. It's a start considering having to start over twice because of hungry deer..

View attachment 86736

Lovely, the small courgettes are great when hollowed out (the seedy bit) and filled with http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spaghetti-sauce-with-ground-beef/ with cheese on top.
Pop in the oven and bam! great dish with lots of vegetables.

Blanching them first is recommended.

JorisL said:
Lovely, the small courgettes are great when hollowed out (the seedy bit) and filled with http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spaghetti-sauce-with-ground-beef/ with cheese on top.
Pop in the oven and bam! great dish with lots of vegetables.

Blanching them first is recommended.
I had baked up a huge overlooked zucchini, cajun style, the day before and had it along with bacon and every veggie you see in the pic last night. All the peppers were so fresh and delicate they almost melted in my mouth. Probably should give the recipe (all the spices & extras) for the baked zucchini in the food thread.

dlgoff said:
I had baked up a huge overlooked zucchini, cajun style, the day before and had it along with bacon and every veggie you see in the pic last night. All the peppers were so fresh and delicate they almost melted in my mouth. Probably should give the recipe (all the spices & extras) for the baked zucchini in the food thread.
Yes, please do.

I've been hesitant about posting anything about my gutter garden, which I started around June 1st of last year, as I wasn't really sure it would work.
So far, it has worked.

It was inspired by a Facebook post by my cousin in Arizona.
I love strawberries, so the image made me drool. :smile:

sgg.file.footage.jpg

The gutters looked like they were way up in the air, which struck me as impractical, so I designed one that was only a meter off the ground.
I'd heard that good fences make good neighbors, and I have the worlds best neighbor, so I decided to merge the two ideas, and make an awesome fence.
Evo once said that her plants roots were roasted in their pots, so I used that knowledge, to opt for white gutters.

gg.1.0.2014.june.jpg

As some may remember, I accidentally planted a watermelon plant last year.
I decided that a gutter was no place for a watermelon, so I built a trellis type device.

gg.1.2.2014.july.jpg

It worked! But I thought it was a bit silly, so I pay attention now, and no longer do that.

Now, the following may not look like a garden, but it is relevant to the rest of the story. (And proof that a 1/3 hp 1955 electric motor, which I've been hoarding from my mom's old ringer washer WILL mow a lawn. )

gg.1.6.2014.july.jpg

So, the garden was primarily supposed to be a strawberry garden, which I have never had luck with before, so I was not aware of how prolific they can be.
Each plant had at least 10 babies.
Er mehr gerd...

So being kind hearted, and not being a baby killer, I purchased two more gutters, and planted all the babies.

gg.1.7.2014.sept.jpg

So then, I assumed that the original gutter garden, was some photoshopped thing, so I monitored my garden over the winter.

gg.1.8.2014.dec.jpg

December 2014.
22.5°F
I expected nothing to survive.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, most everything survived.
This created a quandary.
Do I go to the trouble of expanding the garden, or do I just leave it the way it is, as next year we may have a hyper-freeze, which will kill everything.
Being a sciencey kind of guy, I decided to expand.

But I've just been informed that I may not upload any more pictures. hmmmm... Perhaps I should have hosted them myself. hmmmmm...
Where's Greg when you need him, for advice?

[edit] never mind Greg! I fingered it out. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff, Evo and Borg