How does theoretical physics advance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the contributions of scientists like Einstein to the field of physics, particularly in regards to the grand unified theory. The conversation also touches on the collaboration between theoreticians and observational scientists, the development of math software to aid theoretical physicists, and the derivation of Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2.
Ponderer
I've read about scientists such as Einstein who have advanced the field of physics. When Einstein was working on solving the grand unified theory, what were the obstacles? Was he trying to find patterns that could reveal something? Or did he have sufficient data, but solving certain math problems was a challenge?

I'm very curious. Thanks for any replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, and Welcome. I can't speak for any particular scientist. One of the best things to happen in working stuff into a viable theory is when theoreticians and observational scientists work back-and-forth with each other. ie: Sheldon postulates a new particle; Leonard whips a cyclotron out of his wallet and finds a living example of one, but the charge is off by a tad; Sheldon then alters his calculations to explain that; they retest...
Some of Einstein's ideas such as relativistic time dilation weren't physically provable until the space age.

Likes Ponderer
That must be nice to have people test your theory. I just can't imagine how they create such equations or where they even begin. Actually it just occurred to me that it would be interesting to see how E = m c^2 is derived. Has math software reached the level of being able to help theoretical physicist? My uncle used to tell me during his early days as a scientist how they would use these wooden gadgets to solve math equations. In don't recall exactly what it was. Perhaps one of those gadgets where they slide pegs around? It's been a long time since I went to school, but the calculator was a common acceptable tool.

Ponderer said:
My uncle used to tell me during his early days as a scientist how they would use these wooden gadgets to solve math equations.
That would probably be a slide-rule (slip-stick in common usage). It's what I had to use in high-school. There's one little bugger running around here who collects them and loves them more than women (except for his lovely wife, of course). In fact, his avatar is a picture of one.
It's a pretty good bet that some lab rat or another somewhere will physically test every hypothesis that is made public, even if there is no contact with the theoretician. It's a kind of natural symbiotic relationship, like pilot-fish and sharks or directors and actors.

Likes Ponderer
Ponderer said:
Actually it just occurred to me that it would be interesting to see how E = m c^2 is derived.
##E=mc^2## may not be the most logical starting point in the logical progression of special relativity... it's more of a destination. However, Google will find you some nice derivations and SR doesn't have to require a lot of math; there are quite good presentations that use nothing more than high school algebra.

Thanks for the advice. Google took me to youtube where there are a lot of amazing videos that describe how to derive Einstein's equations. It's like being at the candy store.

Feynman starts addressing your question at about 16 - 17 minutes in and continues with it the rest of the lecture.

Likes Ponderer

Related to How does theoretical physics advance?

What is theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical models and concepts to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems, without the need for direct experimentation. It is concerned with understanding the fundamental laws of nature and the underlying principles that govern the universe.

How does theoretical physics advance our understanding of the universe?

Theoretical physics helps us to develop a more complete understanding of the universe by providing explanations for observed phenomena and making predictions about new phenomena that have yet to be observed. It also helps us to unify different theories and concepts, leading to a more comprehensive understanding of the laws of nature.

What are some examples of theoretical physics in action?

Some examples of theoretical physics include quantum mechanics, general relativity, and string theory. These theories have helped us to understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, the structure of the universe on a large scale, and the fundamental nature of matter and energy.

What is the role of mathematics in theoretical physics?

Mathematics plays a crucial role in theoretical physics, as it provides the language and tools necessary to formulate and solve complex problems and equations. Theoretical physicists use mathematical concepts such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra to develop models and make predictions about the behavior of physical systems.

How does theoretical physics influence technological advancements?

Theoretical physics has a significant impact on technological advancements, as many of the theories and concepts developed in this field have practical applications. For example, the principles of quantum mechanics have led to the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. Theoretical physics also contributes to advancements in fields such as astrophysics, materials science, and engineering.