Relations between statistical physics and theoretical CS

In summary, Pietro Caputo and Alistair Sinclair's article discusses the connections between theoretical computer science and statistical physics. They argue that the analysis of randomized algorithms provides a rich family of discrete analogues of Boltzmann's equation from statistical physics. Although this link is discussed somewhat in the posts on PF, I think it would be interesting to see more discussion about potential collaborations between the two communities.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone. I wasn't sure where to post this thread, so I figured I'll post this under General Physics.

Out of interest, I've been perusing online about connections that exist between statistical physics and theoretical computer science. For example, consider the following report by Pietro Caputo (a physicist/mathematician) and Alistair Sinclair (a theoretical computer scientist):

https://arxiv.org/abs/1609.06897

This makes me think -- I'm wondering if any of you out there are aware of more collaborations between physicists and computer scientists on common research problems. Also, I'm curious to see if research in different branches of physics may have direct repercussions for research in computer science, and vice versa.

Physics news on Phys.org
I find it curious that no one here on PF has any comments at all about my post here. Is there no one here on PF who has done research in statistical physics? Is there no one here who has done research in theoretical CS?

You are asking a lot. We should invest the time to read the paper you linked, then respond to some really broad questions.

I suggest that you might get better responses if you include the relevant excerpt in your question, and then try to be more specific with what you're asking.

anorlunda, I do see your point. The article by Caputo and Sinclair specifically examines recombination models based on random mating (models that are applied to genetic algorithms, which have been investigated by computer scientists for years) and tries to explore it in the context of quadratic dynamical systems, which the article states "provides a rich family of discrete analogues of Boltzmann's equation from statistical physics." (Caputo & Sinclair (2016), pg 2)

I have to really dig into the technical details of the paper, but my main point is that the paper which I linked is one example of the links between the analysis of randomized algorithms (an important research field within theoretical CS) and areas of statistical physics. Which makes me think that there would be much research collaboration between physicists and theoretical computer scientists in research areas of mutual interest (one other example being quantum computing).

And yet curiously, I see relatively little discussion I could find in any of the PF posts about such collaborative research between the two communities.

Related to Relations between statistical physics and theoretical CS

1. What is the relationship between statistical physics and theoretical computer science?

The fields of statistical physics and theoretical computer science are closely related, as both study complex systems and their behaviors. In particular, statistical physics uses mathematical models and methods to study physical systems with many interacting components, while theoretical computer science uses algorithms and mathematical models to study the behavior of computational systems.

2. What are some common applications of statistical physics in theoretical computer science?

One common application of statistical physics in theoretical computer science is the study of phase transitions in combinatorial optimization problems. Statistical mechanics concepts such as entropy and phase transitions can help understand the behavior of these problems and inform the development of efficient algorithms.

3. How are statistical physics and theoretical computer science related to complexity theory?

Statistical physics and theoretical computer science are both closely related to complexity theory, which studies the resources (such as time and space) required to solve computational problems. In particular, statistical physics has been used to study the complexity of optimization problems, and theoretical computer science has developed complexity classes to classify problems based on their difficulty.

4. What are some current areas of research at the intersection of statistical physics and theoretical computer science?

Some current areas of research at the intersection of statistical physics and theoretical computer science include the study of phase transitions in constraint satisfaction problems, the application of statistical mechanics to machine learning algorithms, and the use of statistical physics to analyze the behavior of social networks and other complex systems.

5. How can the insights from statistical physics be useful in theoretical computer science?

The insights and methods from statistical physics can be useful in theoretical computer science in several ways. For example, they can help analyze the behavior of algorithms and systems, provide tools for understanding complexity, and offer new ideas for designing efficient algorithms. Additionally, the study of complex systems in statistical physics can inspire new approaches to solving computational problems.