How does the loader's linear momentum change after turning south?

In summary, the 15,000 kg loader traveling east at 20 km/h turns south and travels at 25 km/h. The change in the loader's kinetic energy is 361227 joules and the change in its linear momentum is 129375J.
cassie123

Homework Statement

A 15,000 kg loader traveling east at 20 km/h turns south and travels at 25 km/h. Calculate the change in the loader’s
a. kinetic energy.
b. linear momentum.

Homework Equations

KE=(1/2)mv^2
p=mv
p(i)=p(f) : I am assuming I can ignore gravity

The Attempt at a Solution

I know there is already a thread for this problem but I am having trouble understanding how to describe the change in linear momentum,

I feel okay with part a:
a) 20km/hr = 5.56m/s
25km/hr=6.94 m/s

KE2-KE1
1/2mv2^2 - 1/2mv1^2
1/2 (15000)(6.94)^2 - 1/2(15000)(5.56)^2
361227-231852
129375J

But for part b I am confused as to what to quantify as the change in linear momentum. So far I have:

b)
p(east) = mva
(15000kg)(5.56m/s)
83400 kg*m/s

p(south) = mvb
(15000kg)(6.94m/s)
104100 kg*m/s

And then I used pythagorean and inverse tan to find a resultant momentum of 1.3 * 10^5 with an angle of 51 degrees south of east.

Is this my final answer? Do I need to subtract this from the initial momentum in the easterly direction? Why or why not?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
pi is not equal to pf.

You have the external forces of the wheels and the road.

You need to compute the initial and final momentum vectors and subtract them (as vectors).

Likes Anaya
Dr. Courtney, thanks for your answer. I'm not sure I understand where to begin following your suggestions

cassie123 said:

Homework Statement

A 15,000 kg loader traveling east at 20 km/h turns south and travels at 25 km/h. Calculate the change in the loader’s
a. kinetic energy.
b. linear momentum.

Homework Equations

KE=(1/2)mv^2
p=mv
p(i)=p(f) : I am assuming I can ignore gravity

The Attempt at a Solution

I know there is already a thread for this problem but I am having trouble understanding how to describe the change in linear momentum,

I feel okay with part a:

But for part b I am confused as to what to quantify as the change in linear momentum. So far I have:

b)
p(east) = mva
(15000kg)(5.56m/s)
83400 kg*m/s

p(south) = mvb
(15000kg)(6.94m/s)
104100 kg*m/s

And then I used pythagorean and inverse tan to find a resultant momentum of 1.3 * 10^5 with an angle of 51 degrees south of east.

Is this my final answer? Do I need to subtract this from the initial momentum in the easterly direction? Why or why not?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Hello cassie123. Welcome to PF!

It appears that you're adding the two momentum vectors. To find the change, you should subtract. Right?

Likes Dr. Courtney
SammyS said:
Hello cassie123. Welcome to PF!

It appears that you're adding the two momentum vectors. To find the change, you should subtract. Right?

Thanks SammyS!

Yes, that makes more sense that I should subtract.

Can I just subtract the south momentum from the east or does the directionality mess that up? Or I think I could also use the change in velocity multiplied by mass. I am getting confused thinking about whether I need to resolve vectors, since they are already on the coordinate plane. And to me it makes sense that the change in direction would be 90 degrees from east to south but I'm having a hard time knowing how to handle this!

cassie123 said:
Thanks SammyS!

Yes, that makes more sense that I should subtract.

Can I just subtract the south momentum from the east or does the directionality mess that up? Or I think I could also use the change in velocity multiplied by mass. I am getting confused thinking about whether I need to resolve vectors, since they are already on the coordinate plane. And to me it makes sense that the change in direction would be 90 degrees from east to south but I'm having a hard time knowing how to handle this!
If you want to find how much something has changed, you take the final value and subtract the initial value from that. In other words, subtract the initial (east) from the final (south).

SammyS said:
If you want to find how much something has changed, you take the final value and subtract the initial value from that. In other words, subtract the initial (east) from the final (south).

Maybe I'm overcomplicating it. Thanks again!

Related to How does the loader's linear momentum change after turning south?

1. What is momentum in physics?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity. In other words, momentum is a measure of how difficult it is to stop or change the direction of an object's motion.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v). The equation for momentum is p = m * v. The unit for momentum is kilogram meters per second (kg*m/s).

3. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that in a closed system, the total momentum of all objects before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction. This means that momentum is conserved, or remains constant, in a closed system.

4. How does momentum relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Momentum is closely related to Newton's laws of motion. Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This means that an object's momentum will remain constant in the absence of external forces. Newton's second law, which relates force, mass, and acceleration, can also be written in terms of momentum (F = m * a = m * (v/t) = m * ∆v/∆t = ∆p/∆t). Lastly, Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact, their total momentum will remain constant.

5. What are some real-life examples of momentum?

Some real-life examples of momentum include a football player running at full speed and colliding with another player, a car traveling at high speed and coming to a sudden stop, a skateboarder performing a trick and landing smoothly, and a rocket launching into space. All of these examples involve the transfer of momentum between objects and demonstrate the principles of conservation of momentum.