Calculate the change in the loader’s kinetic energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of change in kinetic energy and linear momentum for a 15,000 kg loader traveling at different speeds in different directions. There is confusion about the direction of the change in momentum, but it is determined that the hypotenuse of the two initial momentum vectors represents the change in momentum.
jgray
Linear Momentum question - help please

Homework Statement

A 15,000 kg loader traveling east at 20 km/h turns south and travels at 25 km/h. Calculate the change in the loader’s
kinetic energy.
linear momentum.

Homework Equations

KE2-KE1 = change in KE
p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

a.
20km/hr = 5.56m/s
25km/hr=6.94 m/s

KE2-KE1
1/2mv2^2 - 1/2mv1^2
1/2 (15000)(6.94)^2 - 1/2(15000)(5.56)^2
361227-231852
129375J

b. p(east) = mv1
(15000)(5.56)

p(south) = mv2
(15000)(6.94)

using pythagorean theorem for the two sides I know I got 133388 kg m/s for the magnitude of the momentum..
Am I doing this right? I also don't know if I can just use p(east) and p(south) to find the angle of the momentum - does 83400/104100 = 0.801152737 then inv cos - 36.8 degrees work? Doesn't sound right to me… Or can I just show the direction using N/E/S/W

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have noticed that momentum is a vector - so the change in momentum involves subtracting vectors.
Drawing the vectors head-to-tail, shows you a right-angle triangle: so the magnitude of the change is, indeed, going to be the length of the hypotenuse by pythagoras. Well done.

To get the direction, remember that subtracting a vector is the same as adding the negative of the vector ... do it head-to-tail. Specify angles with respect to one of the compass directions. You could finesse it though by specifying the change as "so much" East and "so much" South (i.e. by components of the vector).

Likes Brendan Webb
Hi, I think I have got the right answer for the question but I was really hoping someone could verify it for me. My work is shown on the attachment. Final answer = 5.0 * 10^4 kg*m/s 51 degrees south of east direction. ( I forgot to add the 51 degrees on the attachment final answer)
20150512_095023.jpg
Thanks a bunch :)

Hello BW.

For part a:. It's not meaningful to work in seven digits after first rounding off to three (for v). What you do at the end (bring back to 2 digits) is fine. because the first digit is a 1, you might consider giving one digit more (matter of taste/habit).

For part b. you might draw a wind rose to begin with. Most folks would have East pointing to the right.

Now go back to what Simon says: just like with the kinetic energy scalars, you want the difference. What you draw is the sum of the two momenta.
Instead, p1 + change in p = p2 , so ##\ \ ## change in p = p2 ##-## p1 .

So draw p1 starting at the origin. Draw p2 starting at the origin. The vector "change in p" is from the tip of p1 to the tip of p2 ! If you want to see that starting at the origin, you have to add up p2 and ##-##p1. Post the drawing: to get your head around this the right way is an important learning step.

Another tip: the m and the 1/3.6 are common factors. Much easier to work with symbols and do all the calculation work with the 20 and 25 , then apply these factors at the end.

Likes Brendan Webb
Hi BvU

Thanks for the reply. I am still a little confused about the change in P though. I re-did my vector diagram. Both vectors start at the origin. But from here I am confused. Is the change in vectors the hypotenuse, from what I understand by Simon this is true but you state "p1 + change in p = p2 , so change in p = p2 − p1" which makes more sense to me because I don't know how the change in momentum would be larger than p1 or p2. If I do it this way I get a change in momentum of 2.1 * 10^4 kg *m/s in the 51 degrees south of east direction. I'm just not sure what the hypotenuse has to with at all anymore though. your help is greatly appreciated

Vector.jpg

Brendan Webb said:
Hi BvU

Thanks for the reply. I am still a little confused about the change in P though. I re-did my vector diagram. Both vectors start at the origin. But from here I am confused. Is the change in vectors the hypotenuse, from what I understand by Simon this is true but you state "p1 + change in p = p2 , so change in p = p2 − p1" which makes more sense to me because I don't know how the change in momentum would be larger than p1 or p2. If I do it this way I get a change in momentum of 2.1 * 10^4 kg *m/s in the 51 degrees south of east direction. I'm just not sure what the hypotenuse has to with at all anymore though. your help is greatly appreciated

View attachment 83398
p2-p1 is your hypotenuse vector.
To see this, say the two vectors you drew are from point O. To represent -p1 you need your p1 pointing the other way. To then add this to p2, i.e. p2+(-p1), you need to start the -p1 vector at arrow end of the p2 vector. So you will have p2 pointing 'down' from O to P, say, then -p1 pointing from P to the right, reaching point Q.
The resultant, p2-p1 is then the vector from O to Q. This looks exactly like the hypotenuse you have drawn, but shifted over to start at O.

Hi haruspex

Thanks for the reply. Ok so the vector looks like this. I'm not sure why though -p1 is facing east though because I thought its initial vector was in the east direction. Don't we turn around a vector when subtracting? sorry to keep asking but I feel as though I am missing something.
Snapshot2.jpg

Brendan Webb said:
Hi haruspex

Thanks for the reply. Ok so the vector looks like this. I'm not sure why though -p1 is facing east though because I thought its initial vector was in the east direction. Don't we turn around a vector when subtracting? sorry to keep asking but I feel as though I am missing something. View attachment 83407
Sorry, I based my post on your diagram and did not check back with the original question. So flip left/right in you diagram in post #5 and in my reply in post #6.

Likes Brendan Webb
In a picture what I described in #4

upload_2015-5-13_9-1-47.png
And I persist in using "to the right" as East (Couldn't find a windrose agreeing with your picture o0) )

What happened to Haru is a nice demonstration of the importance of a clarifying sketch !

As you see:

| the change | is bigger than either |p1| or |p2| .
(but it doesn't have to be: if p2 = p1 then |thechange| is 0
and if p2 = -p1 then |thechange| is 2|p1|

That's the wole thing about vector addition/subtraction )

--

Likes Brendan Webb
Thank you both for your time and patience! I finally understand! :)

Cheers

Related to Calculate the change in the loader’s kinetic energy

1. How do you calculate the change in the loader’s kinetic energy?

To calculate the change in the loader's kinetic energy, you need to know the initial kinetic energy (KE) and the final kinetic energy. The formula for calculating KE is KE = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2. Once you have the values for both initial and final KE, you can find the difference to determine the change in KE.

2. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the object's mass and velocity, and is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2.

3. What units is kinetic energy measured in?

Kinetic energy is typically measured in joules (J), which is a unit of energy in the International System of Units (SI). Occasionally, it may also be measured in other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) or calories (cal), depending on the context.

4. How does the change in the loader’s kinetic energy affect its motion?

The change in the loader's kinetic energy is directly proportional to its change in motion. This means that if there is an increase in kinetic energy, the loader's motion will also increase. Similarly, a decrease in kinetic energy will result in a decrease in the loader's motion.

5. What factors can affect the change in the loader’s kinetic energy?

The change in the loader's kinetic energy can be affected by various factors, such as the object's mass, velocity, and any external forces acting on it. Friction and air resistance are also factors that can affect the change in kinetic energy. Additionally, changes in the surface or terrain the loader is on can also impact its kinetic energy.