How Does the Brayton Cycle Work in Gas Turbines?

In summary: Thrust_production3) The nozzle doesn't make any direct contribution to the thrust. Instead, the air passing through it is accelerated by the moving parts of the engine, including the compressor and the turbine.
Almunthir
Hi
I am new member ( mechanical engineer student ) , and the college just add a new course which is
Turbo machinery , any way the teacher is new to the course & the quality of our teacher is not that
good so , I was having a question and ask him but didnt get much from him so here I am ^^When the plane is taking off the plane start to accelerate and that force come from the thrust when air
flow out through nozzle , so how the pilot increase the speed its got the same intake area so how its
can produce more thrust is it by adding more fuel in combustion chamber or does the area of nozzle
change ?

I wish I didn't bother with my question please help me to understand in easy language ( my main is Arabic )thanks ^^

Engineering news on Phys.org
Almunthir said:
Hi
I am new member ( mechanical engineer student ) , and the college just add a new course which is
Turbo machinery , any way the teacher is new to the course & the quality of our teacher is not that
good so , I was having a question and ask him but didnt get much from him so here I am ^^When the plane is taking off the plane start to accelerate and that force come from the thrust when air
flow out through nozzle , so how the pilot increase the speed its got the same intake area so how its
can produce more thrust is it by adding more fuel in combustion chamber or does the area of nozzle
change ?

I wish I didn't bother with my question please help me to understand in easy language ( my main is Arabic )thanks ^^
No, you get more thrust from a gas turbine by burning more fuel. That's what the throttle control is for.

SteamKing said:
No, you get more thrust from a gas turbine by burning more fuel. That's what the throttle control is for.

So you mean more fuel then more heat ,so the gas will expand and large in volume and go out of nozzle faster creating more thrust , Am I write ?

And thnx for reply wish all the best for you ^^

Almunthir said:
So you mean more fuel then more heat ,so the gas will expand and large in volume and go out of nozzle faster creating more thrust , Am I write ?

And thnx for reply wish all the best for you ^^

Yes, you are right.

As more fuel is added, the turbine spins faster, increasing both the intake flow and the exhaust flow.

Im back again with more question , for sure its about turbojet engine
1* does the combustion chamber increase the pressure or change it due to fuel addition and ignition or its only to add velocity to the compressed air ?
2* also the thrust force that we get is from the nozzle or the turbine ?thanks

Almunthir said:
Im back again with more question , for sure its about turbojet engine
1* does the combustion chamber increase the pressure or change it due to fuel addition and ignition or its only to add velocity to the compressed air ?
2* also the thrust force that we get is from the nozzle or the turbine ?thanks
The Brayton cycle is used to analyze gas turbines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brayton_cycle

1) The combustion chamber is open at both ends when fuel is injected and burned, so it's a constant-pressure process. The compressor at the front of the engine is the device which compresses the intake air before it enters the combustion chamber.

2) See this article for more details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbojet

Related to How Does the Brayton Cycle Work in Gas Turbines?

1. What is the purpose of accelerating a gas turbine?

The purpose of accelerating a gas turbine is to increase its rotational speed, which in turn increases its power output. This is important in applications where a high power output is required, such as in aircraft engines or power generation.

2. How is the acceleration of a gas turbine achieved?

The acceleration of a gas turbine is achieved by increasing the flow rate of the gas passing through the turbine. This can be done by adjusting the fuel and air mixture, increasing the temperature of the gas, or increasing the size of the turbine blades.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a gas turbine?

There are several factors that can affect the acceleration of a gas turbine, including the design and size of the turbine, the type and quality of the fuel being used, and the surrounding environmental conditions. The efficiency and condition of the turbine also play a role in its acceleration.

4. Are there any risks associated with accelerating a gas turbine?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with accelerating a gas turbine. These include mechanical stresses on the turbine components, increased fuel consumption, and potential damage to the turbine if it is not operated within its designed parameters. Proper maintenance and monitoring of the turbine can help mitigate these risks.

5. How does the acceleration of a gas turbine impact its overall performance?

The acceleration of a gas turbine can significantly impact its overall performance. A well-accelerated turbine will have a higher power output and efficiency, resulting in better performance and lower operational costs. However, if not properly managed, excessive acceleration can lead to decreased performance and potential damage to the turbine.