How Does Magnification Correspond to Working Distance in a Digital Microscope?

In summary, the conversation discusses the purchase of a digital microscope for a lab, specifically the model from Sunrisedino.com. The individual is unsure about how the magnification and working distance function in this microscope and is seeking clarification. They speculate that there may be a fixed working distance and contemplate if a regular microscope and digital camera may be a better option. Another individual recommends a similar model from Oplenic Optronics.
Chen
I'm hoping this is the best forum for this...

I'm considering buying a digital microscope for my lab. Specifically I'm looking at this model:
http://www.sunrisedino.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=126
The reason I'm looking at this is that it's both portable, small and comes with a monitor (so I don't need a PC next to it).

Now, I'm not so sure how these things work in terms of magnification and working distance.
As far as I can tell from the images and the user manual, in terms of optics you can only control the "magnification" of the scope.
I'm wondering what this means as far as focusing on the sample goes. Would I be correct to assume that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the magnification setting and the working distance (at which the image will be focused)? So I can't stay at the same distance but change the magnification?

If I'm right then this means that at any given distance there is only one possible magnification. How can I estimate the magnification at a specific distance? I can't get an answer from the seller...
And If I'm wrong, then how does it work exactly?

Chen

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like it might be a fixed working distance, with the clear plastic tube in contact with the sample.
Looks like a good idea if you need small portable on-site inspection but for general lab use I would have thought a regular microscope + digital camera would be better/cheaper

yeah,i have bought a nearly same one from Oplenic Optronics (HangZhou) Office. It seems good .I bought it from the internet and he serves well.you can go to http://www.oplenic.com to find want you want .

Related to How Does Magnification Correspond to Working Distance in a Digital Microscope?

What is a digital microscope?

A digital microscope is a type of microscope that uses digital technology to capture and display magnified images of specimens. It typically consists of a traditional microscope with a digital camera attached, allowing for real-time viewing of the specimen on a computer screen.

How does a digital microscope work?

A digital microscope works by using a digital camera to capture images of the specimen and then transferring them to a computer or other display device. The camera may use different technologies such as CCD or CMOS sensors to capture the images, which are then processed and displayed digitally.

What are the advantages of using a digital microscope?

There are several advantages of using a digital microscope over a traditional microscope. These include the ability to easily capture and save images, the ability to view specimens in real-time on a screen, and the ability to share images with others through electronic means.

What are the applications of a digital microscope?

A digital microscope has a wide range of applications in various fields such as biology, medicine, forensics, and material science. It can be used for research, education, quality control, and inspection purposes. It is also commonly used in industries such as electronics, textiles, and automotive.

What should be considered when purchasing a digital microscope?

When purchasing a digital microscope, it is important to consider factors such as magnification power, resolution, image quality, software compatibility, and budget. It is also essential to choose a reputable and reliable brand and to read reviews from other users before making a decision.