How Do You Calculate Angular Magnification in a Microscope?

In summary, the angular magnification of the microscope is 317, with a linear magnification of 32 for the objective and an angular magnification of 9.6154 for the eyepiece. The near point should be converted to meters instead of mm, and the correct value for the distance from the first lens to the first image should be used in the calculation for m_o.
klminch

Homework Statement

The image formed by a microscope objective with a focal length of 5 mm is 160mm from its second focal point. The eyepiece has a focal length of 26mm.

a.what is the angular magnification of the microscope?

Homework Equations

Mtotal=M_e*m_o

m_o= linear magnification of objective. m_o=-L/f_o, where L is the distance from the first lens to the first image, and f_o is the focal length of the objective.

M_e=25/f_e where M_e= angular magnification of the eyepiece.

The Attempt at a Solution

So M_e=25*10/26= 9.6154, since 25 is referring to the near point in cm, I converted it to mm.

m_o= 160/5= 32
M=32*9.6154=307.69.

However, the correct answer is 317 so I'm about 10 off and I don't know why. I think I may be using the L term incorrectly as I don't really understand what the 160mm value is referring too. Any help would about where I went wrong above would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

It looks like you have the right approach, but the issue may be with your conversion of the near point from cm to mm. Instead of converting it to mm, try converting it to meters. This will give you a more accurate value for the angular magnification. Also, make sure you are using the correct values for the focal length of the objective and the distance from the first lens to the first image. The 160mm value is referring to the distance from the second focal point of the objective to the first image formed by the objective. So in your calculation for m_o, you should use a value of 155mm (160mm - 5mm). This should give you a more accurate result.

Related to How Do You Calculate Angular Magnification in a Microscope?

What is the resolution of a microscope?

The resolution of a microscope refers to its ability to distinguish two closely spaced objects as separate entities. It is a measure of the smallest distance between two points that can still be seen as separate by the microscope.

How is the resolution of a microscope determined?

The resolution of a microscope is determined by the numerical aperture of the lens and the wavelength of light used. A higher numerical aperture and shorter wavelength of light will result in a higher resolution.

What is the maximum resolution of a light microscope?

The maximum resolution of a light microscope is approximately 200 nanometers. This is due to the fact that visible light has a longer wavelength, limiting the ability of the microscope to distinguish between smaller structures.

Can the resolution of a microscope be improved?

Yes, the resolution of a microscope can be improved by using a higher numerical aperture lens, using shorter wavelength light such as ultraviolet or X-rays, and using advanced techniques such as confocal microscopy or super-resolution microscopy.

Why is resolution important in microscopy?

Resolution is important in microscopy because it allows scientists to see and study smaller structures and details in samples. It also allows for more accurate measurements and observations, leading to a better understanding of biological and chemical processes.