How Does Learning Illuminate Our World Like a Scuba Lamp?

• Thread starter coberst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lamp
In summary, the conversation discusses the experience of learning, specifically using the metaphor "learning is scuba with a lamp." The speaker shares their personal experience of learning scuba diving and how it opened up a new world of colors and perspectives. The conversation also touches on the limitations of traditional education and the importance of self-learning. The last comment compliments the speaker's analogy and clarifies a possible misinterpretation.
coberst
Learning is ‘Scuba with a Lamp’

I moved to Dallas in 1980 and decided to learn scuba diving. I took a YMCA scuba class and after completing the class joined, with many fellow members of my class, a dive club sponsored by the Y. We shortly thereafter took a one week dive trip to Mexico.

It was a marvelous experience.

We arrived at our destination in late afternoon and the group decided to immediately go on a night dive. My first dive is a night dive! Needless to say I was anxious about the whole matter. My first dive proved to be a marvelous experience. I entered into a world that was fantastically delightful.

All of our dives after that first one were day dives. I discovered that the night dive, with a lamp, presented a magnificent fantastic world of living color whereas my day dives, without a lamp, presented a magnificent world of living shades of gray. Without a source of light the living color became living shades of gray because the water filtered out the sunlight’s colors.

I create the linguistic metaphor ‘learning is scuba with a lamp’ to accentuate the fact that the more we learn about our self and our world the more nuanced and delightful our experience of our self and the world becomes. Our schools and colleges teach us a world of shades of gray so that we can function in a culture of production and consumption. If we want to perceive the magnificence of our environment in depth we must become self-learners after our school daze are over.

Physics news on Phys.org
coberst said:
the more we learn about our self and our world the more nuanced and delightful our experience of our self and the world becomes.

I hardily second this measure!

I quite like your analogy coberst, makes me want to read and go night diving in the same breath. Well done.

"Heartily" not "Hardily". I first read it as "hardlY" which meant you were disagreeing!

Related to How Does Learning Illuminate Our World Like a Scuba Lamp?

What is "Learning is ‘Scuba with a Lamp’"?

"Learning is ‘Scuba with a Lamp’ is a metaphor used to describe the process of learning. Just as a scuba diver must have a lamp to see underwater, a learner must have the proper tools and resources to fully understand and comprehend new information.

How does "Learning is ‘Scuba with a Lamp’" apply to education?

This metaphor highlights the importance of having the right tools and resources in the learning process. Just as a scuba diver would struggle without a lamp, a learner may struggle without the proper resources and support.

What are some common "tools and resources" for learning?

Tools and resources for learning can include textbooks, lectures, videos, hands-on activities, discussions, and online resources. These can help learners gain a deeper understanding of the subject matter and make connections between new and existing knowledge.

Why is it important to have a "lamp" in the learning process?

The lamp in this metaphor represents the light of knowledge and understanding. Without it, learners may feel lost and unable to fully grasp new concepts. Having a "lamp" in the learning process helps guide and illuminate the way for learners.

What can educators do to ensure their students have a "lamp" in the learning process?

Educators can provide a variety of tools and resources for their students, such as lectures, hands-on activities, and online resources. They can also create a supportive and engaging learning environment where students feel comfortable asking questions and seeking help when needed.