How Does Implicit Differentiation Apply to Polynomial Equations?

In summary, the conversation involves a question about simplifying a result from the product rule in a differentiation problem. The answer is provided and it is suggested to differentiate implicitly. The source of the question may have had a formatting error, making it difficult to understand at first. It is also recommended to clearly explain the desired outcome when seeking help.
recoil33
Question:

y6 + 6 (x^2+4)6 = 9

6y5 .dy/dx . 6(x2 + 4)5 . (2x) = 0

6y5 .dy/dx = -6(x2+4)5 .(2x)

dy/dx = 6y5 / -6(x2 + 4)5 .(2x)

dy/dx = 6y5 / 12x(x2 +4)5

Although the answer is ment to have y5 as the numerator, not 6y5?
-------------

Another Q. [Simplifying result from product rule?]

Answer of the question:

6(x+4)5 .(x+2)7 + 7(x+2)6 . (x+4)6

It is possible to simplify the answer to

(x+4)6 (x+4)5 (13x+40)

Although, i don't see what to do to get this result.

Thanks in advance,
recoil33

Physics news on Phys.org
thats not quite a question, though reasonably obvious you should explain what you are trying to do

so I am guessing you want to differentiate this implicitly?
recoil33 said:
Question:

y6 + 6 (x2+4)6 = 9

6y5 .dy/dx . 6(x2 + 4)5 . (2x) = 0
the first step should be
6y5 .dy/dx + 6.6(x2 + 4)5 . (2x) = 0

Ahh that makes sense, the source from which i got the question had a massive gap between the 6 and (x2+4)6 so i did not think to realize they were together.

Yes, i know the answers were obvious, although i could not see where i was going wrong.

Thank you.

i didn't mean the answer was obvious, just that i could work out what you were trying to accomplish

you'll generally get more help if you're clear describing what you are trying to do

Related to How Does Implicit Differentiation Apply to Polynomial Equations?

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a technique used in calculus to find the derivative of an equation that is not explicitly in the form of y=f(x). Instead, the equation is in the form of f(x,y)=0, and the derivative is found with respect to x by treating y as a function of x.

2. Why do we use implicit differentiation?

We use implicit differentiation when it is not possible or convenient to solve for y explicitly in terms of x. This often occurs when the equation is too complex to be solved algebraically or when it involves transcendental functions, such as trigonometric or exponential functions.

3. How do you perform implicit differentiation?

To perform implicit differentiation, we differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to x, using the chain rule and product rule as needed. Then, we solve for the derivative of y in terms of x, using algebraic manipulation to isolate the derivative on one side of the equation.

4. What is the difference between implicit and explicit differentiation?

The main difference between implicit and explicit differentiation is the form of the equation. Explicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of an equation that is already in the form of y=f(x), while implicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of an equation that is not explicitly in the form of y=f(x).

5. When is implicit differentiation used in real life?

Implicit differentiation has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and geometry. It is used to find rates of change, optimize functions, and solve optimization problems. For example, it can be used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function, which is useful in determining the most efficient way to manufacture a product or maximize profit.