How Does Hydrostatic Equilibrium Affect Star Pressure Calculation?

In summary, the conversation involves discussing the best density profile for a gas star or neutron star and calculating the core pressure for these types of stars. The suggested density profile is ρ = ρc(1−(r/R)^a) with ρc being the core density and a = 2. The conversation also mentions the use of this density profile in the pressure integral and the goal of accurately calculating the core pressure for neutron stars and compact gas stars.
dats13

Homework Statement

Assume a star is in hydrostatic equilibrium and that the density of the star is follows
[tex]\rho \propto \frac{1}{r^{a}}[/tex]

where [tex]\r[/tex] is the distance from the centre of the star and [tex]\r[/tex] is a constant.

Derive an relation for the pressure of the star as a function of [tex]\r[/tex].

Homework Equations

Hydrostatic Equilibrium:
[tex]
\frac{dP}{dr} = - \rho(r) \frac{G m(r)}{r^2} (1)
[/tex]

Mass Equation:
[tex]
\frac{\mathrm{d} M}{\mathrm{d} r}=\rho (r)4\pi r^{2} dr (2)
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming that the following boundary conditions must be satisfied.

[tex]
\rho(0) = \rho_c \; \; \; \rho(R) = 0
[/tex]
[tex]
m(0) = 0 \; \; \; m(R) = M_{tot}
[/tex]

The problem that I run into is satisfying these equations with the assumption

[tex]\rho \propto \frac{1}{r^{a}}[/tex]

If I assume
[tex] \rho(r) = \rho_c(1-(r/R)^{a}) [/tex]

then the boundary conditions are satisfied, but the power law assumption is not.

Once I get the suitable function for [tex]\rho[/tex], then I can solve Eq. (2) for the Mass as a function of r and then (1) to get a function for the pressure.

But I am unsure of how to satisfy both the power law and boundary conditions for [tex]\rho[/tex].

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the best density profile (for a gas star and probably a neutron star) and the one worth solving for is ρ(r)=ρc(1−(r/R)a) with a=2. Using this I calculated ρc = 2.5M/V where M/V = average star density. So ρ(r)=2.5M(1−(r/R)2)/V. I think this should be used in the pressure integral. I'm interested in accurately calculating the core pressure for neutron stars and theoretical compact gas stars. I want to show that neutron star core pressure is significantly less than ρ(c)2. Anybody there?

Rewrite using different format: I think the best density profile (for a gas star and probably a neutron star) and the one worth solving for is ρ = ρc(1−(r/R)^a) where ρc = core density and a = 2. Using this I calculated ρc = 2.5M/V where M/V = average star density. So ρ = 2.5M[1−(r^2/R^2)]/V. I think this should be used in the pressure integral. I'm interested in accurately calculating the core pressure for neutron stars and theoretical compact gas stars. Probably neutron star core pressure at collapse is less than relativistic pressure of (ρc^2)/3. Anybody there?

The OP has graduated. Thread closed.

Related to How Does Hydrostatic Equilibrium Affect Star Pressure Calculation?

What is the internal pressure of a star?

The internal pressure of a star is the force exerted by the plasma and radiation within the star's core. It is responsible for preventing the star from collapsing under its own gravity.

How is the internal pressure of a star calculated?

The internal pressure of a star is calculated using the ideal gas law, which takes into account the star's temperature, density, and volume. It can also be estimated using stellar models and observations.

What factors affect the internal pressure of a star?

The internal pressure of a star is mainly affected by its mass, temperature, and composition. The more massive a star is, the greater its internal pressure will be. Higher temperatures and denser compositions also lead to higher internal pressure.

Can the internal pressure of a star change over time?

Yes, the internal pressure of a star can change over time as the star evolves. For example, as a star runs out of nuclear fuel, its core will contract and increase its internal pressure. This can lead to changes in the star's size and energy output.

Why is the internal pressure of a star important?

The internal pressure of a star is crucial for maintaining the star's equilibrium and preventing it from collapsing. It also plays a significant role in the star's evolution and determines its eventual fate, such as becoming a supernova or a white dwarf.