How Do You Calculate the Period of Radial Oscillations in a Neutron Star?

In summary, assuming a neutron star with a radius of 10km and a mass of 1.4 times that of the sun, we can derive the period of radial oscillations using hydrostatic equilibrium and the velocity of sound equation. The question also discusses the negative value for pressure and the calculation of time from r=0 to r=R and back, as well as the boundary condition for pressure. The pressure at the surface is expected to be zero, which allows for the derivation of the integration constant.
June_cosmo
Missing template due to originally being posted in different forum.
Assuming a neutron star is a uniformly dense sphere of radius 10km and mass =1.4 mass of sun, derive the period of radial oscillations.First use hydrostatic equilibrium to calculate p, then the velocity of sound is $$v= \sqrt{ \gamma p / \rho}$$, so the period of pulsation is time it takes from r=0 to r=R and come back.

I first used hydrostatic equilibrium:$$ \frac{dp}{dr}=- \frac{GM(r)\rho}{r^2}$$
and $$M(r)= \frac{4}{3} \pi r^3 \rho$$ so that $$ p(r)=- \frac {2}{3} \pi \rho^2r^2$$,
so question 1: how does there is a negative value?
question 2:how do I calculate time from r=0 to r=R and back?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget the integration constant. What is the boundary condition for pressure?
June_cosmo said:
question 2:how do I calculate time from r=0 to r=R and back?
That follows from the velocity.

mfb said:
Don't forget the integration constant. What is the boundary condition for pressure?
That follows from the velocity.
Thanks for your answer. No the problem doesn't say the boundary condition. How do I know that?

Last edited:
June_cosmo said:
No the problem doesn't say the boundary condition. How do I know that?
What do you expect as pressure at the surface?

mfb said:
What do you expect as pressure at the surface?
Because P(r) decrease along r it would be 0? so I can derive the constant?

It is zero, as particles would move outwards otherwise. Yes, this allows to find the constant.

Likes June_cosmo

Related to How Do You Calculate the Period of Radial Oscillations in a Neutron Star?

What is the period of radial oscillations?

The period of radial oscillations is the time it takes for an object to complete one full cycle of movement in a radial direction, either towards or away from a fixed point.

How is the period of radial oscillations calculated?

The period of radial oscillations can be calculated using the formula T=2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the force constant of the spring or restoring force.

What factors affect the period of radial oscillations?

The period of radial oscillations is affected by the mass of the object, the force constant of the spring or restoring force, and the amplitude of the oscillation.

What is the relationship between the period of radial oscillations and the amplitude?

The period of radial oscillations is directly proportional to the square root of the amplitude. This means that as the amplitude increases, the period also increases.

How does the period of radial oscillations relate to the frequency?

The period of radial oscillations and the frequency are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the period decreases, and vice versa.