How Does Group Action Determine the Structure of Covering Spaces in Topology?

• Thread starter harbottle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary: G on X is free and properly discontinuous. This means that for every x in X and g in G, there exists a unique φ in G such that g(x) = φ(x). Now, if H is a normal subgroup of G, then the action of G on X is free and properly discontinuous, since the left cosets of H in G form a partition of G and the action of G on X is defined as follows: g(x) = φ(x), where g is any element in the left coset of H containing φ. This implies that the covering space X/H is normal. Moreover, the group of deck transformations of this cover is G/H, since the action of
harbottle

Homework Statement

I am having trouble with this problem from Hatcher:

24. Given a covering space action of a group G on a path-connected, locally path-connected space X, then each subgroup H in G determines a composition of covering spaces X -> X/H -> G. Show:

a. Every path-connected covering space between X and X/G is isomorphic to X/H for some subgroup H in G

(The best I can do here is say that since we have a covering space action then pi_1(X/H1) = pi_1(X/H2); not sure how to proceed.)

b. Two such covering spaces X/H1 and H/H2 of X/G are isomorphic iff H1 and H2 are conjugate subgroups of G.

c. The covering space X/H -> X/G is normal iff H is a normal subgroup of G, in which case the group of deck transformations of this cover is G/H.

Any ideas? The two preceding propositions look tantalisingly close to what I need but I can't massage the problem to accommodate them.

Homework Equations

Page 71-3 in this pdf http://www.math.cornell.edu/~hatcher/AT/ATch1.pdf)

The Attempt at a Solution

See above

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for reaching out for help with this problem from Hatcher. I understand that you are having trouble with the given problem and are seeking guidance. my expertise lies in analyzing and solving problems through the scientific method. I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

Firstly, it is important to note that a covering space action of a group G on a path-connected, locally path-connected space X can be defined as a continuous map p: X -> X/G, where X/G is the quotient space of X by the action of G. This map is called the projection map.

Now, let's address the three parts of the problem:

a. To show that every path-connected covering space between X and X/G is isomorphic to X/H for some subgroup H in G, we can use the notion of the fundamental group. Since X and X/G are path-connected and locally path-connected, their fundamental groups are isomorphic. This means that π1(X) ≅ π1(X/G). Now, by the Galois correspondence, there is a one-to-one correspondence between the subgroups of π1(X) and the covering spaces of X up to isomorphism. This means that for every subgroup H in G, there exists a corresponding covering space X/H of X. Since X and X/G have isomorphic fundamental groups, there must exist a subgroup H in G such that X/H is isomorphic to X/G.

b. To show that two covering spaces X/H1 and X/H2 of X/G are isomorphic iff H1 and H2 are conjugate subgroups of G, we can use the notion of deck transformations. A deck transformation of a covering space X/H is a homeomorphism of X that preserves the fibers of the covering map p: X -> X/H. This means that for every x in X, p(φ(x)) = p(x) for all deck transformations φ. Now, if X/H1 and X/H2 are isomorphic, then there exists a deck transformation φ such that φ(X/H1) = X/H2. This implies that H1 and H2 are conjugate subgroups of G, since φ is a homeomorphism that preserves the fibers of p.

c. To show that the covering space X/H -> X/G is normal iff H is a normal subgroup of G, we can use the notion of normal covering spaces. A covering space X/H

Related to How Does Group Action Determine the Structure of Covering Spaces in Topology?

1. What is a covering space action?

A covering space action is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two spaces, where one space is mapped to the other space in a continuous and surjective manner. In simpler terms, it is a way of understanding how one space can be transformed or "covered" by another space.

2. How is a covering space action represented mathematically?

A covering space action is represented using the notation (X,G), where X is the original space and G is the group of transformations or actions that map X onto itself. This can also be written as X/G, where the forward slash indicates the action of G on X.

3. What are some examples of covering space actions?

Some common examples of covering space actions include the action of translation on a line, rotation on a circle, and dilation on a plane. These actions can also be combined to form more complex covering space actions, such as the action of rotation and translation on a sphere.

4. What is the significance of covering space actions in mathematics?

Covering space actions are important in many areas of mathematics, including topology, group theory, and geometry. They provide a way to understand the structure and properties of spaces and can be used to solve problems and prove theorems in these fields.

5. How are covering space actions used in practical applications?

Covering space actions have practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They can be used to model and analyze real-world phenomena, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetic fields, and digital image processing. Covering space actions also have applications in data compression and encryption.