F-automorphism group of the field of rational functions

In summary, the assertion that [K(x):K(\phi)] is finite and has degree max(deg(f), deg(g)) can be proven using the fact that f,g are coprime and that K(\phi) is a root of a polynomial in K(x).
Barre
I've been doing some exercises in introductory Galois theory (self-study hence PF is the only avaliable validator :) ) and a side-result of some of them is surprising to me, hence I would like you to set me straight on this one if I'm wrong.

Homework Statement

Let [itex]K(x)[/itex] be the field of rational functions with coefficients in the field [itex]K[/itex] of characteristic zero. Then [itex]K(x)[/itex] can be seen as an extension of [itex]K[/itex] by a transcendent indeterminate [itex]x[/itex], and [itex]K(x)/K[/itex] is actually Galois. Let [itex]G = Gal(K(x)/K)[/itex], which is infinite (for example [itex]\phi(f(x)) = f(x+1)[/itex] generates a cyclic subgroup of infinite order) and let [itex]H[/itex] be any infinite subgroup of [itex]G[/itex]. Then the field fixed by [itex]H[/itex] is [itex]K[/itex].

Homework Equations

Here are a couple of results from previous exercises that I've used.

1. If [itex]E \neq K[/itex] is an intermediate field of the extension [itex]K \subset K(x)[/itex], then [itex][K(x):E][/itex] has finite degree.

2. Let [itex]H'[/itex] denote the intermediate field of the extension [itex]K(x)/K[/itex] fixed by automorphisms in the subgroup [itex]H[/itex]. Equivalently, let [itex]E'[/itex] denote the subgroup of [itex]G[/itex] such that all automorphisms in this group fix [itex]E[/itex]. If [itex]H' = E[/itex], then [itex]H \subset E'[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]H[/itex] be any subgroup of [itex]G = Gal(K(x)/K)[/itex] of infinite order and let [itex]H' = E[/itex], and assume that [itex]E[/itex] is not [itex]K[/itex], hence it is a proper extension of K. Because [itex]K(x)[/itex] is finite-dimensional over [itex]E[/itex] and an E-automorphism of [itex]K(x)[/itex] is determined by its action on the basis of [itex]K(x)[/itex] over [itex]E[/itex], and basis is finite, then there can only be a finite amount of E-automorphisms of [itex]K(x)[/itex]. Hence [itex]|E'|[/itex] is finite. By 2, [itex]H \subset E'[/itex], but the first one was infinite which is a contradiction. Then the assumption that [itex]E[/itex] is not [itex]K[/itex] was wrong, and it would follow that [itex]H' = E = K[/itex].Could this be correct? The follow-up exercise asked to prove that no infinite subgroup [itex]H[/itex] has the property that [itex]H = H'' = (H')'[/itex] but I've arrived at a slightly stronger result, hence my question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, I would like to extend my question to this exercise as well. I used some of my work on this to prove assertion 1) in previous post.

Let [itex]\phi \in K(x)[/itex] but [itex]\phi \not\in K[/itex]. Then [itex]\phi = f/g[/itex] is a rational function and we assume [itex]f,g[/itex] are coprime. Prove[itex][K(x):K(\phi)][/itex] is finite and has degree [itex]max(deg(f), deg(g))[/itex].

I can see how it is finite, as x (the indeterminate in K(x)) is actually a root of a polynomial in [itex]K(\phi)[/itex], namely [itex](\phi)g(y) - f(y)[/itex]. Hence for sure there exists a minimal polynomial, and by the exercise, I know that it should have degree [itex]max(deg(f), deg(g))[/itex]. But my polynomial has the property that it's degree is the maximum of degrees of f and g, hence it is the minimal polynomial I am looking for. To prove this, I need to prove that it is irreducible.

I will be honest that I have no idea how that can be done. A hint was given to consider reducibility in [itex]K(\phi)[x][/itex], the ring of polynomials and that the linearity of the equation (in [itex]\phi = f/g[/itex]) together with the fact that f,g are coprime is the way to go. But I barely understand the element [itex]\phi[/itex] here.

One last bump :)

Related to F-automorphism group of the field of rational functions

1. What is the F-automorphism group of the field of rational functions?

The F-automorphism group of the field of rational functions is a mathematical concept that refers to the set of all automorphisms (or bijective homomorphisms) of a given field of rational functions F. In simpler terms, it is the set of all possible transformations of a rational function that preserve its structure and properties.

2. Why is the F-automorphism group important?

The F-automorphism group is important because it helps us understand the structure and behavior of the field of rational functions. By studying the transformations that preserve the properties of rational functions, we can gain insights into the algebraic properties of this field and use them to solve mathematical problems.

3. How is the F-automorphism group different from the automorphism group of a field?

The F-automorphism group specifically refers to the set of automorphisms of the field of rational functions F. On the other hand, the automorphism group of a field can refer to the set of automorphisms of any given field, not just the field of rational functions. Additionally, the F-automorphism group is a subgroup of the automorphism group of F.

4. Can the F-automorphism group be infinite?

Yes, the F-automorphism group can be infinite. This is because the field of rational functions can have an infinite number of elements, and therefore an infinite number of automorphisms can exist for this field. However, in some cases, the F-automorphism group may be finite depending on the specific field and its properties.

5. How can the F-automorphism group be calculated?

The F-automorphism group can be calculated by finding all possible transformations that preserve the properties of rational functions in the field F. This can be done by using mathematical techniques such as Galois theory or by explicitly solving for the automorphisms of specific rational functions in F.