How Does Acceleration Affect Speed Skater's Velocity on Rough Ice?

• Thread starter slcaha2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Starter
In summary, Quick Starter Questions are a series of short, simple questions designed to quickly engage students and activate their prior knowledge on a topic. They are different from other types of questions as they are specifically designed to be short and simple and are intended to be used at the beginning of a lesson or activity. These questions can benefit students by helping them activate their prior knowledge, make connections, and increase their motivation and interest in the lesson or activity. They can be used in any subject or grade level and to come up with effective questions, one should consider the learning objectives and the prior knowledge of the students and use a variety of question types.
slcaha2
1. A speed skater moving across frictionless ice at 8.20 hits a 4.60-m-wide patch of rough ice. She slows steadily, then continues on at 5.30 .
SLC: I am assuming that Vf = 5.3 m/s ; Vi = 8.2 m/s ; d = 4.60 m ; a =? ; t = ?.
Can you get me started with a correct forumula? I am fairly certain I can get the answer from there.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2a(d)

d = Vi (t) + .5at^2

These are two of the general equations for kinematics.

Sure, the correct formula to use in this scenario would be the equation of motion: Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad, where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and d is the distance traveled. From there, you can rearrange the equation to solve for either a or t, depending on which variable you are looking for. I hope this helps get you started!

Related to How Does Acceleration Affect Speed Skater's Velocity on Rough Ice?

1. What are "Quick Starter Questions"?

Quick Starter Questions are a series of short, simple questions designed to quickly engage students and activate their prior knowledge on a topic. These questions can be used at the beginning of a lesson or activity to help students make connections and build their understanding.

2. How are "Quick Starter Questions" different from other types of questions?

Quick Starter Questions are specifically designed to be short and simple, whereas other types of questions may be more complex or open-ended. They are also intended to be used at the beginning of a lesson or activity to help students get their brains warmed up and ready to learn.

3. How can "Quick Starter Questions" benefit students?

"Quick Starter Questions" can benefit students by helping them activate their prior knowledge, make connections to the topic, and build their understanding. By engaging students right from the start, these questions can also increase their motivation and interest in the lesson or activity.

4. Can "Quick Starter Questions" be used in any subject or grade level?

Yes, "Quick Starter Questions" can be used in any subject and grade level. They are a versatile tool that can be adapted to fit the needs of different topics and students. However, it is important to consider the age and developmental level of the students when choosing appropriate questions.

5. How can I come up with effective "Quick Starter Questions"?

To come up with effective "Quick Starter Questions", it is important to consider the learning objectives and the prior knowledge of the students. The questions should be short, simple, and related to the topic. It can also be helpful to use a variety of question types, such as multiple choice, true/false, or open-ended, to engage different types of learners.