How Does Throwing a Partner Affect a Skater's Velocity in a Pairs Competition?

In summary: The problem statement states that the male skater throws his partner forward at 1.5m/s. Therefore, the given velocity is with respect to the male skater, not the ice rink.
Mrchilko

Homework Statement

In a pairs skating competition, the male skater is initially carrying his partner. Together they have a mass of 130.0 kg and they are are moving forward with a velocity of 2.5 m/s. If the male skater throws his partner forward at 1.5m/s, find the velocity of the male skater after he throws his 45.0kg partner.

Homework Equations

Pa + Pb = P'a + P'b

v= p/m

The Attempt at a Solution

So assuming the equation to find velocity which is v=p/m all i have right now is the mass of the male skater which is 85kg. Now I am not to sure what to do with the original combined momentum ( both skaters together) which was p= (130kg)(2.50m/s)= 325kg.m/s... Now would what do i do with that do find the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mrchilko said:
Now I am not to sure what to do with the original combined momentum ( both skaters together) which was p= (130kg)(2.50m/s)= 325kg.m/s
You know it is conserved, you can apply that to find a condition on the final velocities. The other condition is given in the problem statement.

Mrchilko said:
So assuming the equation to find velocity which is v=p/m all i have right now is the mass of the male skater which is 85kg. Now I am not to sure what to do with the original combined momentum ( both skaters together) which was p= (130kg)(2.50m/s)= 325kg.m/s... Now would what do i do with that do find the answer?

You have more than just the mass of the male skater. You have the total momentum, and you have the mass and velocity of the thrown skater (assuming the thrown velocity is with respect to the ice rink and not the male skater).

gneill said:
assuming the thrown velocity is with respect to the ice rink and not the male skater
Considering the numbers given, that would not be my assumption.

Related to How Does Throwing a Partner Affect a Skater's Velocity in a Pairs Competition?

What is the conservation law of momentum?

The conservation law of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, meaning that the initial momentum of the system will be equal to the final momentum of the system.

Why is the conservation law of momentum important?

The conservation law of momentum is important because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects in a closed system. It also allows us to analyze and design systems, such as rockets and collisions, with high precision and accuracy.

Does the conservation law of momentum apply to all systems?

Yes, the conservation law of momentum applies to all closed systems, regardless of their size, shape, or composition. This includes systems at the atomic, molecular, and macroscopic level.

How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum of all objects before and after a collision or interaction must be equal. This means that if one object gains momentum, another object in the system must lose an equal amount of momentum.

What are some real-life applications of the conservation law of momentum?

The conservation law of momentum has many practical applications, such as in car collisions, rocket propulsion, and sports like ice skating and diving. It is also essential in understanding the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in our solar system.