How Do Skaters' Velocities Change After Grabbing a Pole?

• Thread starter efitzgerald21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pole
In summary, the problem involves two skaters on ice, each with a mass of 60 kg and opposite velocities of 2.1 m/s approaching each other along parallel paths separated by 3.4 m. They then grab onto opposite ends of a long pole with negligible mass and rotate around the center of the pole. The radius of the circle they skate in is 1.7 m. The problem then asks for the angular speed of the skaters, which can be found using ω = v/r. Next, the skaters pull along the pole until they are separated by 0.8 m, at which point their angular speed changes. The kinetic energy of the two-skater system can be calculated using the formula for rotational
efitzgerald21

Homework Statement

In the figure below, two skaters, each of mass 60 kg, approach each other along parallel paths separated by 3.4 m. They have opposite velocities of 2.1 m/s each. One skater carries one end of a long pole with negligible mass, and the second skater grabs the other end of it as she passes. The skaters then rotate around the center of the pole. Assume that the friction between skates and ice is negligible.
(a) What is the radius of the circle they now skate in? Answer=1.7 m
(b) What is the angular speed of the skaters?
(c) What is the kinetic energy of the two-skater system?
(d) Next, the skaters pull along the pole until they are separated by 0.8 m. What is their angular speed then?
(e) Calculate the kinetic energy of the system now.
Hint:The angular momentum of the two-skater system cannot change because there is no net external torque to change it. The angular momentum of a particle is the product of the particle's momentum (mv) and the perpendicular distance from its path to the center about which we calculate angular momentum (here the center of the pole). How is rotational kinetic energy related to rotational inertia and angular speed?

Homework Equations

L(initial)=L(final)
L=mvr=Iw
I=Sum(mr^2)
w=v/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck at part b. I have tried w=v/r (w being angular speed) but the answer is incorrect. I have tried using mvr=Iw and the answer is not correct. The answer is not 2.1, 1.2, 1.1, or 1.05. I don't know how else to find w, and I don't understand why my answer is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
efitzgerald21 said:

Homework Statement

In the figure below, two skaters, each of mass 60 kg, approach each other along parallel paths separated by 3.4 m. They have opposite velocities of 2.1 m/s each. One skater carries one end of a long pole with negligible mass, and the second skater grabs the other end of it as she passes. The skaters then rotate around the center of the pole. Assume that the friction between skates and ice is negligible.
(a) What is the radius of the circle they now skate in? Answer=1.7 m
(b) What is the angular speed of the skaters?
(c) What is the kinetic energy of the two-skater system?
(d) Next, the skaters pull along the pole until they are separated by 0.8 m. What is their angular speed then?
(e) Calculate the kinetic energy of the system now.
Hint:The angular momentum of the two-skater system cannot change because there is no net external torque to change it. The angular momentum of a particle is the product of the particle's momentum (mv) and the perpendicular distance from its path to the center about which we calculate angular momentum (here the center of the pole). How is rotational kinetic energy related to rotational inertia and angular speed?

Homework Equations

L(initial)=L(final)
L=mvr=Iw
I=Sum(mr^2)
w=v/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck at part b. I have tried w=v/r (w being angular speed) but the answer is incorrect. I have tried using mvr=Iw and the answer is not correct. The answer is not 2.1, 1.2, 1.1, or 1.05. I don't know how else to find w, and I don't understand why my answer is incorrect.

Is the problem perhaps related to the units or significant figures you're specifying in your answer? ω = v/r is a good approach.

Related to How Do Skaters' Velocities Change After Grabbing a Pole?

1. How does the pole affect the motion of the two skaters?

The pole acts as a connecting force between the two skaters, causing them to move together as a single system.

2. What happens to the speed of the skaters as they move closer together?

Their speed increases due to conservation of momentum. As they move closer together, their combined mass decreases, causing an increase in velocity to maintain the same momentum.

3. Can the skaters separate while still holding onto the pole?

Yes, the skaters can separate by pushing or pulling on the pole with equal and opposite forces, breaking the connection between them.

4. Is the total energy of the system conserved?

Yes, the total energy of the system remains constant. Although the kinetic energy of the skaters may change as they move, the potential energy of the pole and the skaters' gravitational potential energy balance out the change in kinetic energy.

5. How does the mass of the skaters affect their motion?

The mass of the skaters affects their motion by influencing their momentum. A larger mass will result in a greater momentum, making it more difficult to change their velocity or direction of motion.