How Does a Rotating Space Station Simulate Gravity for Astronauts?

In summary, to determine the reading on the bathroom scale for a 75 kg astronaut standing on a circular space station with a radius of 150 m and rotating at 30 m/s, we can use the formula Fc = m v2 / r, where Fc represents the centripetal force, m is the mass of the astronaut, v is the velocity, and r is the radius. Plugging in the values, we get a reading of 450 N on the scale. Additionally, we can use a free body diagram to show that the only force acting on the astronaut is the normal reaction, which is equal to the weight of the astronaut in this scenario.
MiniOreo1998

Homework Statement

To simulate gravity, a circular space station with a radius of 150 m is rotated so that astronauts standing on the inner surface move at 30 m/s. If the 75 kg astronaut stands on a bathroom scale, what reading will it give? (Assume that the scale is calibrated in Newtons)

I'm confident with my answer, however, am not quite sure how to "word it". The area I lack confidence in is my ability to properly express myself through mathematics. Any tips that could help me build intuition on proper "writing" conventions would be truly appreciated.

Homework Equations

Fc = m v2 / r

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Fc = m v2 / r

Fc = (75) (30)2 / 150

Fc = 450 N

The scale would read 450 N

Physics news on Phys.org
MiniOreo1998 said:

Homework Statement

To simulate gravity, a circular space station with a radius of 150 m is rotated so that astronauts standing on the inner surface move at 30 m/s. If the 75 kg astronaut stands on a bathroom scale, what reading will it give? (Assume that the scale is calibrated in Newtons)

I'm confident with my answer, however, am not quite sure how to "word it". The area I lack confidence in is my ability to properly express myself through mathematics. Any tips that could help me build intuition on proper "writing" conventions would be truly appreciated.

Homework Equations

Fc = m v2 / r

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Fc = m v2 / r

Fc = (75) (30)2 / 150

Fc = 450 N

The scale would read 450 N

The answer is correct.
Draw the Free body diagram.

astro.png

Here the only force acting on the Astronaut is the normal reaction. This Normal reaction provides the centripetal force required to move astronaut in a circular motion. So ##N=\frac{mv^{2}}{R}##. Also the weight is nothing but the reactionary force acting on the body from a ground.
So its weight is equal to ##N## which is equal to ##\frac{mv^{2}}{R}##.:smile:

Related to How Does a Rotating Space Station Simulate Gravity for Astronauts?

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts towards the center of a circular path and keeps an object moving in a circular motion.

How is centripetal force calculated?

The magnitude of centripetal force is calculated using the equation Fc = mv²/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular path, while centrifugal force is the perceived outward force experienced by an object in circular motion. However, centrifugal force is not a real force and is simply a result of inertia.

What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some examples of centripetal force in everyday life include the rotation of a Ferris wheel, the orbit of planets around the sun, and the motion of a car around a curved track.

How does centripetal force relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Centripetal force is related to Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, which states that an object in motion will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. Centripetal force acts as the external force that keeps the object moving in a circular path.