How does a mini drill flexible shank work?

• Thread starter abdulbadii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drill Work
In summary, a mini drill flexible shank works by using an inner core made from flexible multi-strand wire cable, with a helix of steel wire wound around it, and a counter-wound helix of steel wire outside of that. This design allows for torque to be transmitted through tension in one of the helical layers, depending on the direction of rotation. While most of the patents for flexible shafts seem to be for surgical instruments, there may be one specifically for a drill extender. Unfortunately, the specific link could not be found.
abdulbadii
TL;DR Summary
Help solve confusion on how the real mini drill flexible shank working mechanism
How is actually is a mini drill flexible shank working mechanism being able to deliver torque/energy/force so pliable ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is an inner core made from flexible multi-strand wire cable.
Outside that is wound a helix of steel wire, and then a counter-wound helix of steel wire.
Depending on the direction of rotation, the torque is transmitted by tension in one of the helical layers.

Likes Lnewqban
berkeman said:
Which one of those patents apply to a drill extender? Most seem to be for surgical instruments...
I believed I had posted a link for a moto-tool flexible shaft instead.
Sorry, I can't find it again.