Battery and torque in a hand drill

In summary, the group is working on designing a drill and is wondering how to calculate the torque from 3 AA-batteries on 3.6V (10.6V together). The drill only needs to assemble furniture, so a high force is not necessary. They are also looking for recommendations on the type of motor and batteries to use. The design process is an important factor in the project's grade. Some suggestions include calculating the required torque and selecting an appropriate RPM. Other options include borrowing a torque wrench for experimentation or looking at online specifications for electric screwdrivers. It is also recommended to install a fuse for safety purposes when working with lithium cells.
Bohr1227
Hey, I have a project where my group needs to design a drill. I am wondering if anyone here knows how to calculate the torque we get from 3 AA-batteries on 3.6 V (10.6 V together). How does it work? It just needs to assemble furniture, so we don't need very much force on it. Do you know what type of motor (voltage of it) and which batteries work best?

Thank you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
These are all the things you'll need to show your teachers how you figured them out - the design process is a lot of what the grade is typically based on!

So you should start by calculating the torque you need, picking an rpm you want, then look at catalogues of motors.

Bohr1227 said:
I am wondering if anyone here knows how to calculate the torque we get from 3 AA-batteries on 3.6 V (10.6 V together).

I would take the approach Russ suggests. Perhaps borrow a torque wrench and try measuring the torque required to tighten/loosen some screws.

You mention 3.6V AA cells so we're probably talking about lithium cells of some sort. Some of these can generate very high currents - more then you may need and more than is safe. I recommend installing a fuse to limit the current while experimenting. Data on the cells should/may give you a value for the fuse.

Likes russ_watters
As a lazy alternative to experimentation, torque & RPM specs for electric screwdriver can be found online.
A certain Nordic company that happens to be the worlds largest kit-set furniture manufacturer happens to sell them, I'm sure their specs are appropriate :wink:.

Related to Battery and torque in a hand drill

1. How does the battery affect the torque of a hand drill?

The battery is the main power source for a hand drill and is responsible for providing the energy needed to rotate the drill bit. The voltage and current output of the battery directly affect the torque, with higher voltage and current resulting in increased torque.

2. What is the ideal battery type for a hand drill?

The ideal battery type for a hand drill depends on the specific needs and preferences of the user. Generally, lithium-ion batteries are preferred due to their high energy density, longer lifespan, and lack of memory effect. However, nickel-cadmium and nickel-metal hydride batteries may also be suitable options.

3. Can using a higher voltage battery increase the torque of a hand drill?

Yes, using a higher voltage battery can increase the torque of a hand drill. However, it is important to note that using a battery with a higher voltage than the tool was designed for can damage the motor and decrease the lifespan of the drill.

4. Is the torque of a hand drill affected by the size and weight of the battery?

Yes, the size and weight of the battery can affect the torque of a hand drill. A larger and heavier battery may provide more power and increase the torque, but it can also make the drill more cumbersome and difficult to handle. It is important to find a balance between power and comfort when choosing a battery for a hand drill.

5. How can I increase the torque of my hand drill?

There are a few ways to increase the torque of a hand drill. One option is to use a battery with a higher voltage and current output. Another option is to use a drill with a brushless motor, which can provide more torque and be more efficient. Additionally, using a drill with a lower gear ratio can also increase the torque, but at the expense of speed.