How Do You Use Einstein Summation to Prove Vector Calculus Identities?

In summary, the identity states that the curl of a vector field multiplied by a scalar function is equal to the cross product of the gradient of the function and the vector field, plus the scalar function multiplied by the curl of the vector field. This can be proven using Einstein summation notation by applying the product rule and using the permutation identity for permutations differing by 2 indices. A good resource for practicing this notation is a book with many examples.
mmpstudent
prove the identity $$\nabla\times(f\cdot\vec{v})=(\nabla f) \times \vec{v} + f \cdot \nabla \times \vec{v}$$

I can do the proof with normal vector calculus, but I am in a tensor intensive course and would like to do this with
einstein summation notation, but am having some trouble since I am brand new to this.

my attempt

left side

[tex] \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_{j} (\nabla f \cdot \vec{v})_{k}=\epsilon_{ijk}\partial_{j} f \vec{v}_{k} [/tex]

I didn't really know where to go from here so I moved onto the right side and expressed it in einstein notation

[tex]\epsilon_{ijk} (\nabla f)_{j} v_{k} + f \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_{j} v_{k} [/tex]

[tex]\epsilon_{ijk} \partial_{j} f v_{k} + f \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_{j} v_{k} [/tex]

which I don't see how I can rearrange this to get what is on the left. I see how it could be twice what I have on the left, but that obviously is incorrect. Did I do something wrong in expressing these? Do I have to express the right side with different sets of indicees?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you go from the second last line to the last line?

I just realized I forgot an f in that line

If you include the f, haven't you answered your own question?

George Jones said:
If you include the f, haven't you answered your own question?

unless I am seeing this completely wrong, the left side (first line up above) and the right side (on the last line) is twice the left side when I add them together

I was thinking maybe I had to express the right side like this

[tex]\epsilon_{ijk} (\nabla f)_{j} v_{k} + f \epsilon_{klm} \partial_{l} v_{m} [/tex]

and do the permutation identity for permutations differing by 2 indicees but I seem to be going nowhere with that

Last edited:
Apply the product rule to

[tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\partial_{j} (f v_{k})[/tex]

George Jones said:
Apply the product rule to

[tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\partial_{j} (f v_{k})[/tex]

jeez thanks... staring me in the face

Can anyone suggest a book that has a ton of examples using einstein summation? I feel behind most of my class in regards to the notation. It just takes me too long to do problems.

Just a small tip: Don't use ##\cdot## for anything other than the dot product when you're doing these things.

Related to How Do You Use Einstein Summation to Prove Vector Calculus Identities?

What is Einstein summation notation?

Einstein summation notation, also known as Einstein notation or summation convention, is a mathematical convention used to simplify and compactly write mathematical equations involving summation. It was developed by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity.

Why is Einstein summation notation used?

Einstein summation notation is used to simplify and shorten mathematical equations that involve summation. It allows for the representation of complex equations in a more concise and readable format, making it easier for scientists and mathematicians to work with and understand.

How is Einstein summation notation written?

Einstein summation notation is written using the Greek letter sigma (Σ) to denote summation, with the index variable written below it. The upper and lower limits of the summation are also indicated. For example, in the equation Σi=1n ai, the index variable i ranges from 1 to n, and the values of ai are summed together.

What are the advantages of using Einstein summation notation?

One of the main advantages of Einstein summation notation is its ability to simplify and compactly represent complex mathematical equations. It also makes it easier to manipulate and perform calculations on these equations. Additionally, using Einstein notation can help identify patterns and relationships within equations.

Are there any limitations to using Einstein summation notation?

While Einstein summation notation can be helpful in simplifying and compactly representing equations, it may not be suitable for all types of equations. In some cases, it may be more appropriate to use traditional notation or other mathematical notations. Additionally, care must be taken to ensure that the index variables used in Einstein notation do not conflict with other variables in the equation.