What are the tensor and series questions in this homework?

In summary, the first expression is correct for Q1, but the second is missing a basis vector and has a mismatched free index. For Q2, the last term of dy should be corrected to r sinθ cosφ dφ. For Q3, the series converges for the first term and diverges for the second term, resulting in a divergent series. It is normal for the summation to have no start point, and in this case, it can be evaluated using the D'Alembert ratio test.
Pual Black

Homework Statement

i have a few homework question and want to be sure if I have solved them right.
Q1) Write ##\vec{\triangledown}\cdot\vec{\triangledown}\times\vec{A}## and ##\vec{\triangledown}\times\vec{\triangledown}\phi## in tensor index notation in ##R^3##

Q2) the spherical coordinates
##x=r sin\theta cos\phi##
##y=r sin\theta sin\phi##
##z=r cos\theta##
what is the relataion of ##dx, dy, dz## in terms of ## dr , d\theta , d\phi , ##

Q3) Determine whether the following series converges
##\sum \left(\frac{2}{5^{k+1} }+\frac{(2k)!}{3^k}\right)##
this problem has no summation startpoint. I thought such question must have a start point and go to infinity. like k=0 or k=2

The Attempt at a Solution

Q1) ##\vec{\triangledown}\cdot\vec{\triangledown}\times\vec{A} = \epsilon_{ijk}\partial_{i}\partial_{j}A_{k}##
##\vec{\triangledown}\times\vec{\triangledown}\phi = \epsilon_{ijk}\partial_{j}\partial_{k}\phi##

Q2) ##dx=sin\theta cos\phi dr + r cos\theta cos\phi d\theta - r sin\theta sin\phi dphi##
##dy=sin\theta sin\phi dr + r cos\theta sin\phi d\phi + r cos\theta cos\phi d\phi##
## dz=cos\theta dr - r sin\theta d\theta##

Q3)
##\sum \frac{2}{5^{k+1} }=\frac{2}{5}+\frac{2}{25}+\frac{2}{125}+...##
from geometric series
##\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty}S_n=\frac{a}{1-r}##

##a=\frac{2}{5}## ##r=\frac{1}{5}##

since ##\mid r\mid<1## the series converges
##\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty}S_n=\frac{\frac{2}{5}}{1-\frac{1}{5}}=\frac{1}{2}##

##\sum \frac{(2k)!}{3^k}##

using D'Alembert ratio test
##\rho=\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} \frac{u_{k+1}}{u_{k}}##

##\rho=\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\frac{[2(k+1)]!}{3^{k+1}}}{\frac{(2k)!}{3^{k}}}####\rho=\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} \frac{(2k+2)!3^{k}}{(2k)!3^{k+1}}####\rho=\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} \frac{(2k+2)(2k+1)}{3}##

this gives infinity and therefore this series diverges

Physics news on Phys.org
Q1) The first expression is correct. The second is missing a basis vector and has a mismatched free index on the right hand side.

Q2) Double check the last term of dy.

Q3) ok

Likes Pual Black
Orodruin said:
Q1) The first expression is correct. The second is missing a basis vector and has a mismatched free index on the right hand side.

Q2) Double check the last term of dy.

Q3) ok

Q1) the second expression. I think ##\phi## is a scalar and therefore it should not have an index. Right?

Q2) yes i made a mistak. It should be
##dy=sin\theta sin\phi dr + r cos\theta sin\phi d\theta + r sin\theta cos\phi d\phi##

Q3) so the final answer is
Converge + Diverge = Diverge.
And is it normal that the Summation has no startpoint? I thought there is a trick.

Related to What are the tensor and series questions in this homework?

1. What is a tensor and how is it used in science?

A tensor is a mathematical object that represents the relationships between different variables in a system. It is used in science to describe physical quantities, such as forces, that have both magnitude and direction.

2. What is the difference between a tensor and a series?

A tensor is a mathematical object that represents a relationship between variables, while a series is a sum of terms that follow a specific pattern. Tensors are used to describe physical quantities, while series are used to represent mathematical functions.

3. How are tensors and series related in mathematics?

Tensors and series are both mathematical objects that are used to represent relationships between different variables. However, tensors are more commonly used in physics and engineering, while series are used in various fields of mathematics, including calculus and number theory.

4. What are some real-world applications of tensors and series?

Tensors are used in a wide range of applications, including physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, they are used in structural analysis to describe the relationship between stress and strain in materials. Series are used in many areas of mathematics, such as calculating derivatives and integrals, approximating functions, and solving differential equations.

5. How can I improve my understanding of tensors and series?

To improve your understanding of tensors and series, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra and calculus. It can also be helpful to practice solving problems and working with real-world applications of these concepts. Additionally, there are many online resources, textbooks, and courses available that can provide a deeper understanding of tensors and series.