How Do You Transform the Matrix of a Linear Map Between Different Bases?

In summary: B = 1 1 5 6 1 1 5 6 1 1 5 6
JamesGoh

Homework Statement

Suppose that T : R2 → R2 is linear and has matrix

-2 1
5 2

with respect to the standard basis S of R2.

B = 1 1
5 6

(B is another poorly constructed matrix)

What is the matrix of T with respect to B?

Homework Equations

T[itex]_{C,B}[/itex] = (T[itex]_{C,S}[/itex])[itex]^{-1}[/itex]I[itex]_{B,S}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see the pdf called q6b

Also to see the question better presented look at problems1.pdf. Go to Problem sheet 3 question 6b

Attachments

• q6b.pdf
    629.9 KB · Views: 197
  • problems1.pdf
    213.8 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry guys, I should point out that

the answer to the question should be

3 7
0 -3

which I don't seem to be getting

JamesGoh said:
T[itex]_{C,B}[/itex] = (T[itex]_{C,S}[/itex])[itex]^{-1}[/itex]I[itex]_{B,S}[/itex]

That is wrong. A matrix in a new basis B is IBS-1T IBS

ehild

When you say T, do you mean T with respect to the standard basis ?

ehild said:
That is wrong. A matrix in a new basis B is IBS-1T IBS

ehild

In terms of basis reference, does your formula do the following (in terms of matrix composition)

1. You create the identity map of matrix B with respect to the standard basis

2. You multiply the B identity map with T to create a new matrix with respect
to the standard basis ?

3. You multiply the result of step 2 with the inverse of the identity map in step 1 to get the answer with respect to B

With respect to the standard basis T=Ts, and Tb=IBS-1Ts IBS is the matrix of the linear transformation in the new basis.

Think: The new basic vectors b1, b2 are B times the standard basic vectors. Edit: With "B"I denoted the matrix with columns equal to the basic vectors b1 and b2. And you get beck the standard basic vectors by multiplying b1, b2 by B-1.
T transforms the basic vectors of B into vectors Tb1 and Tb2, defined in the standard basis. You need to express these vectors in terms of the new basis, so apply B-1 to them.

Last edited:
JamesGoh said:
In terms of basis reference, does your formula do the following (in terms of matrix composition)

1. You create the identity map of matrix B with respect to the standard basis

2. You multiply the B identity map with T to create a new matrix with respect
to the standard basis ?

3. You multiply the result of step 2 with the inverse of the identity map in step 1 to get the answer with respect to B

You explained it very well.:smile: Yes. that is what I wanted to do, but I could not express myself so well.

ehild

Just a word about notation: It does not really make sense to ask about the matrix of a linear transformation "with respect to" another matrix. In your attached pdf files, B is NOT a matrix, it is two vectors, a new basis for [itex]R^2[/itex].

Another way to find the matrix of a linear transformation with respect to a given (ordered) basis is: Apply the linear transformation to the each basis vector in turn. Write the result as a linear combination of the basis vectors. The coefficients give the columns of the matrix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, HallsofIvy. I know that I cannot mix vectors with transformations...I just used that the matrix that transforms the standard basis into a new basis has columns equal to the new basic vectors.
I hope, I am right... Being a physicist, I use Maths a bit sloppy way.

JamesGoh said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that T : R2 → R2 is linear and has matrix

-2 1
5 2

with respect to the standard basis S of R2.

B = 1 1
5 6

(B is another poorly constructed matrix)

What is the matrix of T with respect to B?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see the pdf called q6b

Also to see the question better presented look at problems1.pdf. Go to Problem sheet 3 question 6b

If the standard basis is e1=[1 0]^t and e2=[0 1]^t (^t = transpose) and b1=[1 5]^t, b2 = [1 6]^t, you can express e1 and e2 as linear combinations of b1 and b2, just by solving the equations b1=e1+5*e2 and e2=e1+6*e2 for e1 and e2; you can do this just as though the e's and b's were real variables instead of vectors---the algebra does not care what they are. A vector v = x1*b1 + x2*b2 can thus be written in terms of basis {e1,e2}, say as y1*e1+y2*e2, with y1,y2 = known linear combinations of x1,x2. Applying the matrix A = [[-2 1],[5 2]]to v = y1*e1+y2*e2 gives (-2y1+y2)*e1+(5y1+2y2)*e2. Now back-substitute for the yi in terms of the xi and for the ej in terms of the bj. You should get the result Tv = (3x1+7x2)*b1+(-3x2)*b2. Therefore, the matrix representation of T in the basis {b1,b2} is [[3 7],[0 -3]]. Once you have grasped these concepts through some simple examples, done step-by-laborious-step, then you can more successfully see where the matrix formulae come from and what they mean.

RGV

Related to How Do You Transform the Matrix of a Linear Map Between Different Bases?

1. What is a matrix composition question?

A matrix composition question is a type of question commonly found in mathematics and computer science, where a matrix (a rectangular array of numbers or variables) is given and the task is to determine the value of a specific element or set of elements within the matrix.

2. How do I solve a matrix composition question?

To solve a matrix composition question, you will need to have a basic understanding of matrix operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and inversion. You will also need to use any given information or equations to manipulate the matrix and find the desired values.

3. What are the common types of matrix composition questions?

Some common types of matrix composition questions include finding the value of a specific element in a matrix, solving a system of equations using matrices, and finding the inverse or determinant of a matrix.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve a matrix composition question?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a matrix composition question. However, it is important to understand the concepts and steps involved in solving the question by hand before relying on a calculator.

5. Are there any tips for solving matrix composition questions?

Some tips for solving matrix composition questions include understanding the properties of matrices, being familiar with common matrix operations, and practicing with different types of questions. It can also be helpful to break down the question into smaller steps and check your answer for accuracy.