How Do You Solve a Lagrange Multiplier Problem with a Zero Gradient Condition?

In summary, the Lagrange Multiplier problem is an optimization problem that involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to constraints. This method was developed by mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange in the 18th century. It works by adding a new variable, known as the Lagrange multiplier, to the original function and then solving for the optimal values of the original variables and the Lagrange multiplier. The applications of this problem include economics, physics, and engineering. However, it has limitations such as only being applicable to differentiable functions and constraints, and may not always provide a global optimum solution. It is closely related to other optimization techniques that also use Lagrange multipliers to incorporate constraints into the problem.
SmileyMan
I'm in a bit of a hurry, so this isn't going to be very pretty.

Homework Statement

Maximize: V(l,d) = pi * (0.5*d)^2 * l
Subject to: l + 3.5d = 84 -> C(l, d) = l + 3.5d - 84

Homework Equations

∇V(l,d) = λ ∇C(l,d)

The Attempt at a Solution

∇V(l,d) = 0.5*pi*d
∇C(l,d) = 0How do I find the Lagrange multiplier if the gradient of the condition-function is 0? I have to find the optimal conditions using Lagrange's method. I have already found the optimal conditions using the method involving elimination of variables, which gave me l = 28 and d = 26. Now I have to get the same results using this method.

EDIT: Nevermind. I figured out my stupid mistake.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out with your question. it is important to take the time to properly understand and solve problems, even if you are in a hurry. Rushing through a problem can lead to mistakes and incorrect results.

In this case, it seems like you have made a small mistake in your calculation. The gradient of the constraint function, ∇C(l,d), is not equal to 0. It is actually equal to 1 in the l direction and 3.5 in the d direction. This means that the Lagrange multiplier, λ, is not equal to 0.

To find the Lagrange multiplier, you can set up the following equations:

∇V(l,d) = λ ∇C(l,d)
l + 3.5d = 84

Substituting in the gradient values, we get:

0.5*pi*d = λ
l + 3.5d = 84

Now, we can solve for d in terms of λ:

d = 84/3.5 - l/3.5

Substituting this into the first equation, we get:

0.5*pi*(84/3.5 - l/3.5) = λ

Solving for λ, we get:

λ = 0.5*pi*24/3.5 - 0.5*pi*l/3.5

Now, we can substitute this value of λ into the equation for d:

d = 84/3.5 - l/3.5 = 24 - l/3.5

Finally, we can substitute this value of d into the constraint equation to solve for l:

l + 3.5*(24 - l/3.5) = 84

Solving for l, we get:

l = 28

Substituting this value back into the equation for d, we get:

d = 24 - 28/3.5 = 26

Therefore, the optimal conditions for maximizing V(l,d) are l = 28 and d = 26, which is the same result you obtained using the elimination method. I hope this helps clear up any confusion and shows the importance of taking the time to properly solve problems. Good luck with your studies!

Related to How Do You Solve a Lagrange Multiplier Problem with a Zero Gradient Condition?

1. What is the Lagrange Multiplier problem?

The Lagrange Multiplier problem is an optimization problem in mathematics that involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to constraints. It was developed by mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange in the 18th century.

2. How does the Lagrange Multiplier method work?

The Lagrange Multiplier method involves adding a new variable, known as the Lagrange multiplier, to the original function in order to incorporate the constraints. The new function is then solved for the optimal values of the original variables and the Lagrange multiplier, which correspond to the maximum or minimum value of the function subject to the constraints.

3. What are the applications of the Lagrange Multiplier problem?

The Lagrange Multiplier problem has various applications in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to optimize production processes, minimize costs, and find equilibrium points in systems with multiple variables and constraints.

4. What are the limitations of the Lagrange Multiplier method?

The Lagrange Multiplier method can only be applied to problems with differentiable functions and constraints. In addition, it may not always provide a global optimum solution and may require multiple iterations to find the optimal values.

5. How does the Lagrange Multiplier method relate to other optimization techniques?

The Lagrange Multiplier method is closely related to other optimization techniques such as the method of undetermined multipliers, the Kuhn-Tucker conditions, and the Karush-Kuhn-Tucker conditions. These methods also use Lagrange multipliers to incorporate constraints into the optimization problem.