How Do Lagrange Multipliers Help Calculate Distance from a Point to a Plane?

In summary: But I only added that D as the distance to the plane right at the end :(, and by that D i simply mean (D^2 =(x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 +(z-c)^2) , have edited it now though..Could you give me any hints as to why yours is different? :( To get so the D from the value of L, i simply put L back into the lagrange equation, the first one..It's better to eliminate lambda (L) from the equations you get by differentiating.x- a+ LA= 0, y- b+ LB= 0, z- c+ LC= 0 can be
EEWannabe
URGENT - Lagrange Multipliers

Homework Statement

:confused:

Using the method of lagrange multipliers prove the formula for the distance from a point (a,b,c) to a plane Ax + By + Cz = D

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equation of the form;

H(x,y,z,L) = (x-a)^2 + (y -b)^2 +(z-c)^2 + L(Ax + By + Cz - D)

Therefore by differentiating, a relationship between x, y and z can be found with lamba, nameley;

x = (-LA/2) + a
y = (-LB/2) + b
z = (-LC/2) + c

By inserting these back into the equation for a plane I get to this stage for L;

[tex] L = \frac{2(Aa + Bb + Cc - D)}{A^2 + B^2 + C^2} [/tex]

Thus, putting this back into the Lagrange equation the value for D^2 I get is (D^2 =(x-a)^2 + (y -b)^2 +(z-c)^2);

[tex]D^2 to plane = \frac {2(Aa + Bb + Cc - D)(Ax + By + Cz - D)}{A^2 + B^2 + C^2} [/tex]

However this is at ends with;

[tex] D to plane = \frac{(Aa + Bb + Cc - D)}{(A^2 + B^2 + C^2)^_\frac{1/2}} [/tex]

I can't see what's gone wrong :confused:, I know i can't expect anyone to do it straight away or anything but I have a big exam tomorrow and there'll definatley be a question on something like this, any hints would be fantastic!

Thanks again

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Do not use the same symbol, D, for both the parameter in the linear equation of the plane and for the distance to the plane. This _might_ be the source of the trouble.

PS. I get your expressions for x, y and z, and I get your first value of L. After that, we differ.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Do not use the same symbol, D, for both the parameter in the linear equation of the plane and for the distance to the plane. This _might_ be the source of the trouble.

PS. I get your expressions for x, y and z, and I get your first value of L. After that, we differ.

RGV

But I only added that D as the distance to the plane right at the end :(, and by that D i simply mean

(D^2 =(x-a)^2 + (y -b)^2 +(z-c)^2) , have edited it now though..

Could you give me any hints as to why yours is different? :( To get so the D from the value of L, i simply put L back into the lagrange equation, the first one..

It's better to eliminate lambda (L) from the equations you get by differentiating.
x- a+ LA= 0, y- b+ LB= 0, z- c+ LC= 0 can be rewritten as x- a= -LA, y- b= -LB, z- c= -LC. Dividing the first equation by the second, (x- a)/(y- b)= A/B so B(x- a)= A(y- b). Dividing the first equation by the third, (x- a)/(z- c)= A/C so C(x- a)= A(z- c).
y= b+ (B/A)(x- a), z= c+ (C/A)(x- a).

Put those into Ax+ By+ Cz= D and solve for x.

HallsofIvy said:
It's better to eliminate lambda (L) from the equations you get by differentiating.
x- a+ LA= 0, y- b+ LB= 0, z- c+ LC= 0 can be rewritten as x- a= -LA, y- b= -LB, z- c= -LC. Dividing the first equation by the second, (x- a)/(y- b)= A/B so B(x- a)= A(y- b). Dividing the first equation by the third, (x- a)/(z- c)= A/C so C(x- a)= A(z- c).
y= b+ (B/A)(x- a), z= c+ (C/A)(x- a).

Put those into Ax+ By+ Cz= D and solve for x.

Thank you so much sir

I mis-read what you wrote because use used the same symbol D for two different things and L for two different things---a bad practice! I _do_ get your final result for the distance, although you should remember that you got it by taking a square root of something of the form N^2/M^2 (where M > 0), so the distance, d, is d = +- N/M = |N|/M. (Your N = a*A + b*B + c*C - D could be < 0.)

RGV

Related to How Do Lagrange Multipliers Help Calculate Distance from a Point to a Plane?

1. What are Lagrange Multipliers?

Lagrange Multipliers are a mathematical tool used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to constraints. They allow us to optimize a function with one or more constraints by introducing additional variables called Lagrange multipliers.

2. How do Lagrange Multipliers work?

Lagrange Multipliers use the method of partial derivatives to find the critical points of a function. The critical points are then evaluated to determine the maximum or minimum value of the function subject to the given constraints.

3. When are Lagrange Multipliers used?

Lagrange Multipliers are commonly used in optimization problems in fields such as engineering, economics, and physics. They are particularly useful in problems with multiple constraints or when the constraints involve complex equations.

4. What are the advantages of using Lagrange Multipliers?

Using Lagrange Multipliers allows us to solve complex optimization problems that may not have a straightforward solution. They also provide a systematic approach to finding the optimal solution and can be applied to a wide range of problems.

5. What are some limitations of Lagrange Multipliers?

One limitation of Lagrange Multipliers is that they may not always provide the global optimal solution, only a local optimal solution. Additionally, the method can become computationally expensive for problems with many constraints or variables.