How Do You Simplify an Equation Involving Natural Logarithms?

In summary, the person asking for help with their coursework forgot how to solve an equation involving logarithms and asked for assistance in changing it to one without natural logarithms. They were given a wrong answer, but the mistake was pointed out and the correct method was explained. The person then criticized the helper, causing some tension in the conversation.
Curious6
Hey, I really would appreciate some help with this one as I'm stuck on my coursework. It'll probably be easy for most of you but I forgot how to do this operation with logarithms. See this equation:

lny = lnx + BlnK + (1 - B)lnL.

How can I change that to one that removes the natural logarithms by means of using x = e^lnx? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you very much!

This is really hilarious! You ask for someone to do your homework for you, showing absolutely no work of your own, then someone gives you a WRONG answer and you accept it without a thought!

ea+b is NOT equal to ea+ eb!

But A ln x= ln xA and ln x+ ln y= ln xy. Use those to write the left hand side as a single logarithm.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy, please react proportionately to the situation. It was just a simple question and no big deal; the equation was just one out of a couple of alternatives I could solve to proceed with my coursework. I felt it was an insignifcant question so I didn't really believe it necessary to show all my workings. Nevertheless, thank you for your input.

Curious, that is pretty proportional. The situation is extremely ironic, and from now on if someone posts a question without showing work, I'm going to offer three possible solution routes, only one of which is correct. Absolutely brilliant.

Office_Shredder said:
The situation is extremely ironic.

Talking about sound judgement and proportionality...

Should I have said nothing and let you think you had a correct answer?
I don't dislike you that much!

I pointed out that you were making a mistake and explained how to get the correct answer. And you criticize me?

Related to How Do You Simplify an Equation Involving Natural Logarithms?

What is a natural logarithm?

A natural logarithm is a mathematical function that calculates the logarithm of a number with base e, where e is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828.

How is a natural logarithm different from a common logarithm?

A common logarithm calculates the logarithm of a number with base 10, while a natural logarithm uses e as its base. This means that a natural logarithm will give different values than a common logarithm for the same number.

Why are natural logarithms important in science?

Natural logarithms are important in science because they can help simplify complex equations and represent exponential growth. They are also used to analyze data and make predictions in various fields such as biology, physics, and economics.

What is the relationship between natural logarithms and exponential functions?

Natural logarithms and exponential functions are inverse operations of each other. This means that the natural logarithm will "undo" an exponential function, and vice versa. For example, e^x and ln(x) are inverse functions.

How do you solve equations involving natural logarithms?

To solve equations involving natural logarithms, you can use the rules of logarithms to simplify the equation. These rules include the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. You can also use the properties of exponents to rewrite the equation before solving for the variable.