How do you organize your collection of papers?

• Thread starter meanrev
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Papers
In summary, this person uses a Python script to walk through the tree and generate a BibTeX of all of the papers they've collected, they have a separate folder for each organization and journal, and under each journal they have folders for specific years.
meanrev
I have something like 1500 papers on my PC and it is hard to keep track of all of them. I've painstakingly organized them all into about 10 categorized folders, and named them all by first author's name + title + year. I then put it all in cloud storage so that I can access it anywhere and don't have multiple copies of the same article. And every time I finish reading one of them I update a summary/review of what the paper's about on a bibtex file, otherwise write down my own notes in a single large LaTeX book.

But it's still rather hard to keep track of it, and I wish I was spending less time doing manual labor with arranging the journal articles.

What do you guys do to organize your papers?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have also a lot of eBooks and eJournals in my External HDD. I keep the Journals by Title then Year wise, For Books I used Author-wise folders.

I see. Personally I'd go in this order: First Author > Year > Title. So you wouldn't have folders that are very empty.

Anyone uses a shell/Perl/Python script or a full database e.g. SQL?

Mendeley. Free, cross platform, amazing. I don't know how others manage paper collections without a software organizer such as this.

Thanks! That's really interesting. I currently use a Python script to walk through the tree and generate a BibTeX of all of the papers I've collected, but I didn't want to reinvent the wheel and that seems like what I've been looking for!

I have a many GB of pdfs.

I created a folder called Library. I have a separate folder Conferences.

Under library, I have folders by organization, e.g., ASTM, IAEA, . . . . , and I have a folder, Journal Articles. Under Journal Articles, I have folders for specific journals.

A colleagues has organized journal articles under each journal by year. I usually keep one folder for each journal and make the title the journal initials, volume, year (maybe author) and title.

Under Conference, it is organized by conference acronym and year.

I probably need a robust and simple document control/retrieval system.

Related to How do you organize your collection of papers?

1. What is the best way to categorize and label papers in a collection?

The best way to organize a collection of papers is to categorize them based on a common theme or subject matter. This could be done by creating folders or using color-coded labels for physical papers, or by creating digital folders or tags for electronic papers. It is important to choose a system that works for you and to be consistent in labeling and categorizing papers.

2. How do you determine the priority or importance of papers in your collection?

The priority or importance of papers can be determined by considering the date of publication, relevance to your research or field of study, and the credibility of the source. You can also use a numbered or color-coded system to indicate the level of importance for each paper. It is helpful to regularly review and update the priority of papers as your research progresses.

3. How do you keep track of notes and annotations on individual papers?

Keeping track of notes and annotations on individual papers can be done in several ways. Some people prefer to write directly on the paper, while others use sticky notes or a separate notebook. For electronic papers, you can use annotation tools or create a separate document to record your notes. Whichever method you choose, make sure to keep them organized and easily accessible.

4. How do you store and preserve physical papers in your collection?

Physical papers should be stored in a cool, dry, and dark environment to prevent damage from sunlight, moisture, and pests. It is also important to use acid-free materials for storage, such as acid-free folders or archival boxes. If possible, make digital copies of important physical papers to ensure they are preserved in case of damage or loss.

5. How often should you review and declutter your collection of papers?

It is recommended to review and declutter your collection of papers at least once a year. This will help you stay organized and prevent your collection from becoming overwhelming. During the review process, you can identify papers that are no longer relevant or important and remove them from your collection. You can also use this time to re-categorize and re-label papers as necessary.