How Do You Graph Wave Displacement Over Time for Point P?

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with understanding a physics homework assignment involving wave displacement and time. The student shares a link to the assignment and asks for guidance in drawing graphs and understanding the concept of superposition. The expert provides a detailed explanation and additional resources to help clarify the concept. The conversation ends with the student expressing gratitude for the explanation.
simon123
Hey everyone, I've just stumbled across this forum on Google while trying to find something to help me understand a question.

I've just started studying physics at AS level at sixth form, and I've been given this piece of homework, with the teacher not explaining it too well, so, I'm stuck.

There is a diagram on the sheet (link below) and two questions, I've tried the first one by using help from diagrams and things I've found on the net, but it turned out completely wrong. And I have absolutely no idea at all for question 2.

I don't expect somebody to do it all for me, but if anyone can explain what I need to do, or give me any pointers it would be greatly appreciated, as I really want to understand this!

http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=homeworkwv1.jpg"

1 - Draw three new sets of axes, one below the other, and draw the waveform observed after one second, two seconds and three seconds.
2 - You have drawn wave displacement against position graphs. On a separate sheet of graph paper draw a displacement against time graph for point P over the three second period.

Thanks to everyone in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The graph you link to shows the displacement of the wave at zero seconds... at point P the displacement of the wave is zero... so at t = 0 the displacement = 0...

At t = 1 second both those 2 waves shown in the image have moved towards P... in fact they've both moved two places... look what you get at P.. the left wave has its maximum displacement at P and the right wave has its maximum displacement at P... so you add those two displacements together... so you get a displacement at t = 1 second that is twice as high as the top of the two waves shown...

At t = 2 the waves again move two places (speed = 2m/s) left and right accordingly... look again at the displacements at P and add them... i.e. 'superposition them'...

Thanks for your quick reply, I actually understand question 2 now, I had absolutely no idea before!

However, you said that both waves are at their highest displacement at P when t = 1. I can see why the wave on the left is, but why the wave on the right? The wave on the right has a vertical line, so why have you chosen the point at the top and not the point on the x axis?

It's that which has got me so confused, if they were both like the wave on the left I'd be able to do it *sigh* if only...

Thanks

Ah yes it got me thinking a little bit did that.

I suppose the way i see it is this:
There is no disturbance in space. Then at some point there in space there comes, INSTANTANEOUSLY (since the wave is traveling it's fair to say 'instantaneous') a signal and hence the wave has amplitude (the vertical line means that the rate of change of amplitude is infinite so going up the vertical line to the horizontal is done in zero time). It remains at that amplitude along the horizontal line and then instaneously falls to some lower amplitude.. and so on...

The square wave is really just an idealised pulse (it can't in reality go instaneously to some amplitude, it will take some time)... if you go to this link here you can see how you use lots of harmonic waves to add up to the square wave...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Synthesis_square.gif

Hope this makes things reasonably clearer...

(I ought really spend some time studying waves again myself i realize!)

Related to How Do You Graph Wave Displacement Over Time for Point P?

1. What is superposition of waves?

Superposition of waves is a phenomenon where two or more waves interact with each other and combine to form a new wave. This new wave is the result of the addition of the individual wave amplitudes at each point in space and time.

2. How does superposition of waves work?

Superposition of waves works by adding the individual wave amplitudes at each point in space and time. This results in constructive interference, where the amplitudes of the waves add up to create a larger amplitude, or destructive interference, where the amplitudes of the waves cancel out to create a smaller or zero amplitude.

3. What are the applications of superposition of waves?

Superposition of waves has many applications in various fields such as acoustics, optics, and electronics. It is used in noise cancellation technology, holography, and signal processing. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding wave behavior in nature, such as in ocean waves and seismic waves.

4. Can superposition of waves only occur with two waves?

No, superposition of waves can occur with any number of waves. The resulting wave will be the sum of all the individual wave amplitudes at each point in space and time.

5. How does superposition of waves differ from interference?

Interference is a result of the superposition of waves, but it specifically refers to the interaction of two or more waves that have the same frequency and direction of propagation. Superposition of waves, on the other hand, can occur with any waves regardless of frequency or direction of propagation.