How do you find frequency given this wave graph?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the wavelength given a wave graph and the equation c=(wavelength)(frequency). It is mentioned that the speed of the wave in the medium is needed to solve for wavelength, but it is not given. The conversation then shifts to finding the period of the wave, with the answer being 0.05 seconds and a frequency of 20 cycles per second.
cmkc109

Homework Statement

How do you find wavelength given this wave graph? [ignore my title please]

Homework Equations

c= (wavelength)(frequency)

The Attempt at a Solution

I always see displacement (y) vs distance (x) graph, but this one is displacement (x) vs t

I'm kinda confused how you solve for the wavelength

can someone help me with interpreting this graph?

I know the question is asking for frequency, but is it possible to figure out the wavelength given this graph?

Attachments

• OO.png
    OO.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 34,583
Physics news on Phys.org
cmkc109 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I always see displacement (y) vs distance (x) graph, but this one is displacement (x) vs t

I know the question is asking for frequency, but is it possible to figure out the wavelength given this graph?

The problem asks the frequency. You get the wavelength if you know the speed of the wave in that medium, but it is not given.

ehild

ehild said:
The problem asks the frequency. You get the wavelength if you know the speed of the wave in that medium, but it is not given.

ehild

ok thanks

cmkc109 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

attachment.php?attachmentid=58092&d=1366605292.png

You can't solve for wavelength.

The particle moves back and forth periodically. What's the period of that motion?

I got the answer.
1 wave is 0.05 sec

frequency is the the number of cycles per sec
so here 1 cycle / 0.05 sec
so 1 sec/ 0.05 = 20

cmkc109 said:
I got the answer.
1 wave is 0.05 sec

frequency is the the number of cycles per sec
so here 1 cycle / 0.05 sec
so 1 sec/ 0.05 = 20

What units ?

Related to How do you find frequency given this wave graph?

1. What is frequency in a wave graph?

Frequency in a wave graph refers to the number of complete cycles or oscillations that occur in one second. It is a measure of how often the wave repeats itself.

2. How do you calculate frequency from a wave graph?

To calculate frequency from a wave graph, you need to count the number of complete cycles in one second. Then, divide this number by the time interval (usually measured in seconds) over which these cycles occur. The resulting value is the frequency, usually measured in Hertz (Hz).

3. What is the formula for finding frequency from a wave graph?

The formula for finding frequency from a wave graph is f = 1/T, where f is the frequency and T is the time interval in seconds over which the cycles occur.

4. How do you determine the frequency of a continuous wave graph?

To determine the frequency of a continuous wave graph, you can measure the length of one wavelength (the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs) and then divide it by the wave speed. Alternatively, you can use the formula f = wave speed/wavelength to calculate the frequency.

5. Can you find frequency from a wave graph with irregular waves?

Yes, you can find frequency from a wave graph with irregular waves by measuring the time it takes for a single wave to pass a fixed point and then calculating the frequency using the formula f = 1/T. However, this method may not be as accurate as finding the frequency from a graph with regular waves.