How do I draw a graph for a progressive wave?

• Thread starter Vaseline
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph Wave
In summary, the conversation is about drawing a graph for a progressive wave with displacement on the y-axis and distance from the source of disturbance on the x-axis. The person is unsure how to do this and mentions that all points on progressive waves have the same amplitude and period of oscillation, but the phase of oscillations varies with distance from the source. They also ask if there is an equation for a progressive wave, which they believe would be necessary for the question.
Vaseline
Hi I've been told to draw a graph for a progressive wave, using displacement on the y-axis, and distance from source of disturbance on the x-axis.

I have drawn one for displacement against time, but not sure how to do one for this.

I know that all the points on progressive waves have same amplitude and period of oscillation, but phase of oscillations varies as distance from source varies - but I don't really understand this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have an equation for a progressive wave (also known as a traveling wave)? It seems that would be necessary in order to have been asked a question like this ... surely your textbook or lecture notes have the equation.

I can provide some clarification and guidance on how to draw a graph for a progressive wave. A progressive wave is a type of wave that travels through a medium, carrying energy from one point to another. This type of wave is characterized by its amplitude, wavelength, and frequency.

To draw a graph for a progressive wave, you will need to plot the displacement on the y-axis and the distance from the source of disturbance on the x-axis. The displacement represents the magnitude of the wave at a particular point, while the distance from the source represents the location of that point along the wave.

The amplitude of a progressive wave remains constant at all points, so you can draw a horizontal line at a certain value on the y-axis to represent the amplitude. The wavelength, which is the distance between two consecutive points with the same displacement and phase, can be represented by the distance between two consecutive points on the x-axis.

The phase of oscillations refers to the position of a point on the wave relative to the starting position at the source. As the wave travels, the phase of oscillations changes, causing the displacement at a particular point to vary. This can be represented by drawing a curve on the graph that connects all the points with the same displacement.

Overall, the graph of a progressive wave will show a repeating pattern of the same amplitude and varying displacement and phase as distance from the source increases. I hope this helps in understanding and drawing a graph for a progressive wave.

Related to How do I draw a graph for a progressive wave?

What is a progressive wave graph?

A progressive wave graph is a visual representation of a progressive wave, which is a type of wave that travels through a medium. It shows the displacement of particles in the medium as the wave travels through it.

How is a progressive wave graph different from other types of wave graphs?

Unlike other types of wave graphs, such as standing wave graphs, a progressive wave graph shows the movement of particles in the medium as the wave passes through it. It also shows the direction of wave propagation and the amplitude of the wave.

What information can be obtained from a progressive wave graph?

A progressive wave graph can provide information about the speed, wavelength, and frequency of the wave. It can also show how the wave changes as it travels through the medium, such as changes in amplitude or wavelength.

How is a progressive wave graph created?

A progressive wave graph is created by plotting the displacement of particles in the medium against time or distance. This can be done using data collected from experiments or simulations, or by using mathematical equations that describe the behavior of the wave.

What are some real-world applications of progressive wave graphs?

Progressive wave graphs are used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and oceanography, to study and analyze the behavior of waves. They are also used in industries such as telecommunications and acoustics, where understanding wave propagation is crucial.