How do you get yourslef to sleep easily even thought u are awake

• Thread starter AgentPancake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even Sleep
In summary, some people find that eating a large high carb meal before bed helps them to sleep, while others find that it keeps them awake. Some people find that if they don't get enough sleep, they will try to sleep by sitting or lying still, hitting their head on the wall, or taking sleeping pills. Sleeping pills can have negative effects in the morning.
AgentPancake
some times I am kept awake till like 1am, oops sry spelling error.

Physics news on Phys.org
AgentPancake said:

Reading in soft light always helps me. Avoid the internet, TV or any other screen activity as they will keep your brain far too active.

Earplugs are effective for me.

Eat a large high carb meal before going to bed. Not healthy at all, but it often works.

The converse is, if you NEED to stay awake for a long time, eat small meals often, avoid large meals too a lot of carbs.

/Fredrik

Fra said:
Eat a large high carb meal before going to bed. Not healthy at all, but it often works.

The converse is, if you NEED to stay awake for a long time, eat small meals often, avoid large meals too a lot of carbs.

/Fredrik

I second that. I find if I avoid large meals at 1pm I don't get the afternoon 'slump' :-)
Small balanced meals is the key for me...

and I rarely eat a big meal when I come home from work at 5pm...that just makes me lazy and wanting to lie on the couch :-)

AgentPancake said:

Anything that trends towards sensory deprivation. White noise generators (like fans), extremely dark room, and having a few ounces of something with a light flavor (water, decaffeinated tea, or even milk). My ex used to spray the bedroom with some flowery-smelling stuff in the morning; by night time there was just a hint left; it tended to block out other miscellaneous odors. I always complained, but frankly, it was kind of nice.

If I'm really having a hard time falling asleep, I'll put a heavy pillow over my face to reduce the amount of oxygen I take in. As the carbon dioxide levels rise, you'll find it harder to stay conscious.

Okay, seriously... don't do the pillow thing. That was a joke.

I generally just stay in a constant state of sleep deprivation. 5-6 hours per night is normal for me - it's not "my" amount of sleep, but it's the only way I can keep any sort of schedule.

If I went to sleep one night at 11:00 to get 8 hours, the next day I wouldn't be able to sleep until 12:30, then 2:00, and so on.

KingNothing said:
I generally just stay in a constant state of sleep deprivation. 5-6 hours per night is normal for me - it's not "my" amount of sleep, but it's the only way I can keep any sort of schedule.

Yeah, I sleep about 6 hour each night and feel fine as a result. If I sleep more, then I actually feel tired when I wake up, like I can't get out of bed.

Lie still in bed. At least you'll get some rest if you don't get any sleep. When I have trouble sleeping, I concentrate on pleasant thoughts like sitting by a swimming pool or taking a walk in a garden.

I hit my head on the wall until I fall alseep

Fra said:

Sadly, in years past I did this many times in a pinch. Even worse, I have metabolic syndrome, so when I eat a lot of carbs I crash hard. If I take it too far I end up in extreme low blood sugar, which results in a horrible feeling that can keep you awake.

So far, some beer or vodka works perfect for me.

The sleep ingredient in many sleep aid products is an antihistamine. If you don't take it too often, Diphenhydramine, sold as Benadryl, can be quite effective as a sleep aid. For some people it can be extremely effective. The first time I took it, after about an hour I could hardly move!

That is why Nyquil knocks you out. It's the antihistamine. I used to take Nyquil if I was desperate for sleep, but that is bad because of the acetaminophen - not good to take too often or to overdose. Products with acetaminophen (Tylenol), if abused, over time can be suprisingly dangerous.

Last edited:
Reading helps me fall asleep.

Sleeping pills.

Evo said:
Sleeping pills.

Don't they make you feel weird in the morning, though? I don't like how I feel when I wake up after taking sleeping pills.

Evo said:
Sleeping pills.

The sleep-inducing ingredient in Tylenol PM is diphenhydramine, an antihistamine. People take antihistamines for hay fever or cold symptoms, but doctors have known for a long time that they also make people drowsy. Other nighttime pain relievers (Alka-Seltzer PM, Excedrin PM) contain diphenhydramine, and it’s the only active ingredient in OTC sleeping pills like Sominex and Simply Sleep. Sominex and the allergy-relief version of Benadryl have exactly the same active ingredient: 25 milligrams of diphenhydramine.
http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0805b.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Mint tea, warm milk, maybe some melatonin

Anti-histamines are strong stuff. Took them once and got these wacky surrealistic dreams and a delirium when I woke up.

Related to How do you get yourslef to sleep easily even thought u are awake

1. How can I fall asleep quickly when I'm wide awake?

There are a few things you can try to help yourself fall asleep more easily. First, establish a consistent bedtime routine that includes winding down and relaxation techniques like deep breathing or meditation. You can also try creating a comfortable sleep environment by keeping your room dark, cool, and quiet. Avoid screens and stimulating activities before bed, and limit caffeine and alcohol intake. If you're still struggling, consult a doctor to rule out any underlying sleep disorders.

2. Can certain foods or drinks help me fall asleep faster?

While there is no magic food or drink that can guarantee sleep, some may have sleep-promoting properties. Foods like cherries, almonds, and kiwi contain melatonin, a hormone that helps regulate sleep. Herbal teas like chamomile and valerian root have calming effects and can promote relaxation. However, it's important to avoid heavy meals and spicy or acidic foods close to bedtime, as they can disrupt sleep.

3. Is it okay to use sleep aids or supplements?

Sleep aids or supplements may be helpful in certain situations, but it's important to use them with caution. Consult a doctor before taking any sleep aids, as they may interact with other medications or health conditions. Natural supplements like melatonin or valerian root may be effective for some individuals, but they may not be regulated by the FDA and could have potential side effects. It's always best to address underlying sleep issues and try non-medicinal methods first.

4. How does exercise affect sleep?

Regular exercise can improve sleep quality and help you fall asleep more easily. However, it's important to time your workouts appropriately, as exercising too close to bedtime can make it harder to fall asleep. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous exercise during the day, and avoid intense exercise within a few hours of bedtime. Also, avoid screens and other stimulating activities after working out to give your body time to wind down.

5. What if I still can't fall asleep?

If you're still struggling to fall asleep, try getting up and doing a relaxing activity like reading or listening to calming music. Avoid screens and bright lights, as they can make it harder to fall asleep. You can also try progressive muscle relaxation or guided imagery to help you relax and fall asleep. If the problem persists, consult a doctor to address any underlying sleep disorders or medical conditions.