How Do You Find the Laplace Inverse of \( \frac{40}{(s^2+4s+5)^2} \)?

In summary, the laplace inverse of (40/(s^2+4s+5)^2) is 20e^{-2t}(\sin(t)-t\cos(t)). This can also be obtained by factoring the expression and using partial fractions, or by using the convolution theorem on the inverse Laplace transform of 1/(s^2 + 4s + 5) to find the inverse Laplace transform of 1/(s^2 + 4s + 5)^2. The latter method avoids the use of complex numbers.
gethelpelectr

Homework Statement

laplace inverse of (40/(s^2+4s+5)^2)?

Homework Equations

I completed the square in the denominator to get 40/((s+2)^2+1)^2
I know that I will get cosines and sines from the shape of it in the laplace inverse; however I'm stuck.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the follwing result:
[itex] 20e^{-2t}(\sin(t)-t\cos(t))[/itex]
But couldn't find any formula, so i did it with Maple 15

gethelpelectr said:

Homework Statement

laplace inverse of (40/(s^2+4s+5)^2)?

Homework Equations

I completed the square in the denominator to get 40/((s+2)^2+1)^2
I know that I will get cosines and sines from the shape of it in the laplace inverse; however I'm stuck.

The Attempt at a Solution

It will be a lot easier if you first factor the expression p = s^2 + 4s + 5, then convert your expression 1/p^2 to partial fractions.

RGV

dikmikkel This answer is correct; however I don't know how to get there.
Ray Vickson, we are not used to getting complex numbers.

gethelpelectr said:
dikmikkel This answer is correct; however I don't know how to get there.
Ray Vickson, we are not used to getting complex numbers.

You should get used to it; they are part of a standard toolkit and are used routinely in Physics, Engineering and Applied Math. However, if you don't want to use complex quantities you can use the convolution theorem instead: first get the inverse Laplace transform of 1/(s^2 + 4s + 5), then find that of 1/(s^2 + 4s + 5)^2 by convolution.

RGV

Last edited:

Related to How Do You Find the Laplace Inverse of \( \frac{40}{(s^2+4s+5)^2} \)?

What is the Laplace Inverse of a solution?

The Laplace Inverse of a solution refers to the process of finding the original function or solution from its Laplace transform. It is the reverse operation of taking the Laplace transform.

Why is the Laplace Inverse of a solution important?

The Laplace Inverse of a solution is important because it allows us to solve differential equations and other mathematical problems using the powerful tool of Laplace transforms. It also provides insight into the behavior of systems over time.

How is the Laplace Inverse of a solution calculated?

The Laplace Inverse of a solution is calculated using the inverse Laplace transform, which is a complex mathematical formula that involves integrating the Laplace transform over a specific region in the complex plane.

Are there any limitations to using the Laplace Inverse of a solution?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Laplace Inverse of a solution. It may not always be possible to find the inverse Laplace transform analytically, and numerical methods may need to be used instead. Additionally, the Laplace transform may not exist for certain functions.

What are the applications of the Laplace Inverse of a solution?

The Laplace Inverse of a solution has many applications in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields. It is used to analyze and model dynamic systems, such as electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and chemical reactions. It is also used in signal processing and control systems.