How Do You Determine Normal Modes in a Coupled Spring System?

In summary: So it should be\lambda^{2}-\lambda(2\omega_{2}^{2}+\omega_{1}^{2})+\omega_{1}^{2}\omega_{2}^{2}=0Which gives\lambda=(2\omega_{2}^{2}+\omega_{1}^{2})/2±√((2\omega_{2}^{2}+\omega_{1}^{2})^{2}-4\omega_{1}^{2}\omega_{2}^{2})/2Which simplifies to\lambda=(2\omega_{2}^{2}+\omega_{1}^{2})/2±√(4\omega_{
ckelly94

Homework Statement

So I'm given two horizontal masses coupled by two springs; on the left there is a wall, then a spring with k[itex]_{1}[/itex], then a mass, then a spring with k[itex]_{2}[/itex], and finally another mass, not attached to anything on the right. The masses are equal and move to the right with x[itex]_{1}[/itex] and x[itex]_{2}[/itex], respectively. I'm trying to find the normal modes of oscillation where k[itex]_{1}[/itex]=2k[itex]_{2}[/itex].

Homework Equations

As usual, we write the equations of motion for each of the masses, i.e.

[itex]\frac{d^{2}x_{1}}{dt^{2}}[/itex]+([itex]\omega_{1}^{2}[/itex]+[itex]\omega_{2}^{2}[/itex])x[itex]_{1}[/itex]-[itex]\omega_{2}^{2}[/itex]x[itex]_{2}[/itex]=0

and

[itex]\frac{d^{2}x_{2}}{dt^{2}}[/itex]-([itex]\omega_{2}^{2}[/itex])x[itex]_{1}[/itex]+([itex]\omega_{2}^{2}[/itex])x[itex]_{2}[/itex]=0

The Attempt at a Solution

The eigenvalues for this matrix are given by
([itex]\omega_{1}^{2}+\omega_{2}^{2}-\lambda[/itex])([itex]\omega_{2}^{2}-\lambda[/itex])-[itex]\omega_{2}^{4}[/itex]=0

At this point, I plugged k[itex]_{1}[/itex]=2k[itex]_{2}[/itex] into this mess and determined that [itex]\lambda_{1,2}[/itex]=-2[itex]\omega_{2}^{4}[/itex][itex]\pm(\omega_{2}^{2}\sqrt{8\omega_{2}^{2}+2}[/itex])

So did I do something wrong algebraically, or are the eigenvectors, and thus the normal modes of oscillation simply [itex]\lambda[/itex] [itex]\propto[/itex]

( [itex]\stackrel{\omega_{2}^{2}}{3\omega_{2}^{2}+2\omega_{2}^{4}+\omega_{2}^{2}\sqrt{8\omega_{2}^{2}+2}}[/itex] ) ?

PS: Sorry about the formatting. I wasn't sure how to make a matrix, but the last line should be a matrix.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, but it's just 2 X 1 anyway, so it's not *too* important, I don't think.

ckelly94 said:
([itex]\omega_{1}^{2}+\omega_{2}^{2}-\lambda[/itex])([itex]\omega_{2}^{2}-\lambda[/itex])-[itex]\omega_{2}^{4}[/itex]=0

I believe this equation is correct. Note that you can determine the dimensions of λ from this equation.

At this point, I plugged k[itex]_{1}[/itex]=2k[itex]_{2}[/itex] into this mess and determined that [itex]\lambda_{1,2}[/itex]=-2[itex]\omega_{2}^{4}[/itex][itex]\pm(\omega_{2}^{2}\sqrt{8\omega_{2}^{2}+2}[/itex])

This expression cannot be correct because the dimensions are off. For example, the two terms inside the square root have different dimensions.

Can you show the steps you took to get to this result?

So I solved for [itex]\lambda[/itex] by multiplying that first equation in your reply:

[itex]\omega_{1}^{2}\omega_{2}^{2}+\omega_{2}^{4}-\omega_{2}^{2}\lambda-\omega_{1}^{2}\lambda-\omega_{2}^{2}\lambda-\lambda^{2}-\omega_{2}^{4}=0[/itex]

Which simplifies to

[itex]\lambda^{2}+\lambda(2\omega_{2}^{2}+\omega_{1}^{2})-\omega_{1}^{2}\omega_{2}^{2}=0[/itex]

Using the quadratic formula, I arrived at

[itex]\lambda=CRAP[/itex]

^This is the point where I realized my error. I'm going to keep going though, just for closure.

[itex]\lambda=-2\omega_{2}^{2}-\omega_{1}^{2}±√(8\omega_{2}^{4}(4\omega_{2}^{2}+1))/2[/itex]

Which becomes [itex]-\omega_{2}^{2}-(\omega_{1}^{2}/2)±\omega_{2}^{2}√(8\omega_{2}^{2}+2)[/itex]

...which is still really gross and has the wrong dimensions, I believe.

EDIT: No, that's actually not where I ran into problems, because I forgot that I wrote it in terms of [itex]\omega_{2}^{2}[/itex] in my notes.

Okay so I tried it over, first by doing the quadratic equation, then writing the result in terms of [itex]\omega_{2}^{2}[/itex]

I got [itex]\lambda=-2\omega_{2}^{2}\pm\sqrt{\omega_{2}^{2}+3\omega_{2}^{2}}[/itex]

Still though, not sure why the dimensions won't work.

Got it! For some reason I forgot to properly square the first-order term.

Solution should read [itex]\lambda_{1,2}=-2\omega_{2}^{2}\pm\sqrt{10}\omega_{2}^{2}[/itex]

Normal modes of oscillation are therefore [itex]-\omega_{2}^{2}[/itex] and [itex](5+\sqrt{10})\omega_{2}^{2}[/itex]

I got that last result by just plugging the first (positive) eigenvalue into the first row of the matrix, setting it equal to zero.

Just curious, how would you go about using, say [itex]\lambda_{2}[/itex] if [itex]\lambda_{1}[/itex] is positive? Do you plug that into the second row, or can you plug it into the first row? I guess if it's a 3 X 3 matrix (i.e. there are more masses), you would have to use multiple rows, so [itex]\lambda_{1}[/itex] and [itex]\lambda_{2}[/itex] are both used (and the row doesn't matter/you'd have to use all or multiple rows). In that case, would you have to use [itex]\lambda_{2}[/itex] independently to describe another phase of motion?

You have the equation

which I believe is correct.

ckelly94 said:
So I solved for [itex]\lambda[/itex] by multiplying that first equation in your reply:

[itex]\omega_{1}^{2}\omega_{2}^{2}+\omega_{2}^{4}-\omega_{2}^{2}\lambda-\omega_{1}^{2}\lambda-\omega_{2}^{2}\lambda-\lambda^{2}-\omega_{2}^{4}=0[/itex]

Check the sign of the λ2 term.

TSny said:
Check the sign of the λ2 term.

...Yes... That's why the last term is negative.

When you expand this out, what will be the sign in front of ##\lambda^2##?

Likes 1 person
Goddamn.

Related to How Do You Determine Normal Modes in a Coupled Spring System?

What are normal modes of oscillation?

Normal modes of oscillation refer to the natural frequencies at which a system will vibrate when disturbed from its equilibrium position. These modes are determined by the physical properties of the system and can be observed in various systems, such as pendulums, musical instruments, and buildings.

How are normal modes of oscillation calculated?

The calculation of normal modes of oscillation involves solving a system of equations known as the eigenvalue problem. This requires knowledge of the system's mass, stiffness, and damping properties. Solutions can be found using mathematical techniques such as matrix diagonalization or the Rayleigh-Ritz method.

What is the significance of normal modes of oscillation?

Normal modes of oscillation are important because they provide insight into the behavior of a system when subjected to external forces. They also help in understanding the stability and resonant behavior of a system. In addition, the study of normal modes is useful in engineering fields, such as structural analysis and vibration control.

Can normal modes of oscillation be observed in real-world systems?

Yes, normal modes of oscillation can be observed in many real-world systems. For example, when a guitar string is plucked, it vibrates at its natural frequency, which is its first normal mode. Similarly, buildings can vibrate at their natural frequencies when subjected to earthquakes or strong winds.

How do normal modes of oscillation affect the behavior of a system?

The number of normal modes of oscillation a system has is equal to its degrees of freedom. Each mode has a specific frequency and amplitude of vibration. When a system is excited at one of its normal modes, the amplitude of vibration increases, and the system oscillates at that frequency. The presence of multiple normal modes allows for complex and interesting behaviors in systems.