Quantum Oscillator with different frequencies

In summary, the Schrödinger equation for the harmonic potential (1/2)m\omega_+^2x^2 for x>0 and (1/2)m\omega_-^2x^2 for x<0 is given by -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\psi_E+\left(\frac{1}{2}m\omega_+^2x^2\theta(x)+\frac{1}{2}m\omega_-^2x^2\theta(-x)\right)\psi_E=E\psi_E. The energy spectrum can be determined by using the Frobenius method to solve the equation separately for
mgal95

Homework Statement

Solve the Schrödinger Equation for an harmonic potential of the form [itex](1/2)m\omega_+^2x^2[/itex] for x>0 and [itex](1/2)m\omega_-^2x^2[/itex] for x<0. Find the equation that determines the energy spectrum. You can use [itex]m=1/2[/itex] and [itex]\hbar=1[/itex]

Homework Equations

[/B]
I wrote down Schrödinger Equation for this potential
[tex]-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\psi_E+\left(\frac{1}{2}m\omega_+^2x^2\theta(x)+\frac{1}{2}m\omega_-^2x^2\theta(-x)\right)\psi_E=E\psi_E[/tex]

where [itex]\theta(x)[/itex] is the step function.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried several tricks. First I tried to solve the equation for x>0 and x<0 separately and then impose the wavefunction and its first derivative to be continuous to x=0. However, solving the Schrödinger for the Harmonic Oscillator demands the use of the Frobenius method (solution in the form of a series) and that quantizes the energy as [itex]E_{+,-}=\hbar\omega_{+,-}(n+1/2)[/itex]. However, if I solve the equation right and left I get different values for the constant E which, for arbitrary frequencies, do not have to be equal. I guess the problem is that in the Frobenius method one uses the fact that the symmetric potential admits solutions that are eigenstates of parity also, which is not the case here since the potential is not symmetric.

Another way I tried was to expand in the basis of let's say the eigenfunctions for the harmonic oscillator with [itex]\omega_+[/itex] frequency, since this is a complete set for the linear operator in the Schrödinger equation with the given boundary conditions (same as in the standard quantum harmonic oscillator of course). I derived an equation for the coefficients of the expansion, but I actually have an infinite system of linear equations to solve, because the coefficients seem to mix, due to terms of the form

[tex]\int_0^\infty\psi_n\psi_mx^2dx[/tex]

which do not vanish for [itex]n\neq m[/itex]. [itex]\psi_k[/itex] is the k-th eigenfunction of the harmonic oscillator with frequency [itex]\omega_+[/itex]. On top of that I could not determine an equation that could give me the energy spectrum. I should impose (maybe) some boundary condition, since this is why quantization arises in such systems, but I cannot find one.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first attempt seems more doable. But we cannot comment on anything unless you show us what you got in your first method.

Last edited:
There is a trick you haven't considered for the solution of each side independently...

Related to Quantum Oscillator with different frequencies

1. What is a quantum oscillator?

A quantum oscillator is a system that exhibits periodic motion, such as a vibrating atom or molecule, that can be described using quantum mechanics. It is characterized by its energy levels, which are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values.

2. How does a quantum oscillator differ from a classical oscillator?

In classical physics, an oscillator can have any energy level and can continuously emit and absorb energy. However, in quantum mechanics, the energy levels of a quantum oscillator are discrete and it can only absorb or emit energy in specific amounts, known as quanta.

3. What is the significance of different frequencies in a quantum oscillator?

The frequency of a quantum oscillator corresponds to the energy of the system. Different frequencies correspond to different energy levels, and the transitions between these levels can be observed in the form of light emission or absorption. This is important in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in various physical and chemical processes.

4. How do different frequencies affect the behavior of a quantum oscillator?

The behavior of a quantum oscillator is affected by the frequencies it can absorb and emit. When the frequency of an external force applied to the oscillator matches one of its energy levels, the oscillator can absorb the energy and transition to a higher energy level. This results in the emission of a photon at the same frequency. Therefore, the energy levels and frequencies of a quantum oscillator determine its behavior.

5. Can a quantum oscillator have multiple frequencies at the same time?

Yes, a quantum oscillator can have multiple frequencies at the same time. This is known as superposition, where the oscillator exists in a combination of different energy levels simultaneously. This allows for complex and intricate behavior of quantum oscillators and is essential in many quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and cryptography.