How Do You Choose the Right Lens for Photographing a Building at 490m?

In summary, the building will be photographed with a camera and the distance to the building is 490m. The building has a height of 85m and width of 40m. The photographer can choose between 35mm, 50mm, 135mm, and 250mm lenses. To capture the entire building in the frame, the photographer needs to use a 50mm lens. The resulting image will have a width of 36mm and height of 24mm. The distance between the lens and film will be 85mm.
Maria H

Homework Statement

A building will be photographed with a camera.

The distance is 490 m to the building.
The building height is 85m and width 40m.
You can choose between 35mm, 50mm, 135mm and 250mm lenses (focal length of lenses).
Select the lens that gives the largest image of the building (whole building should be in the movie). The film has a frame on 24mm36mm.

a) Which lens do you choose?
b) How large is the image of the building? Reply with rounded integer.
c) How large is the distance between the lens and film? Suppose that the lens thickness is negligible. Reply with two decimal places.

Homework Equations

1/a+1/b=1/f
1/a=1/b
h/H=c/d(?)

The Attempt at a Solution

40/0,036=1111,111.. 490/1111,111=0,411 (focal length 411?) I think I'm lost already here.
Or,
1/40+1/0,036=1/f f=0,0359.. (I'm not sure if this means that 35mm is right or if 50mm is better since it 35,9mm)

I'm not sure how to use h/H right know.

I would be so happy if someone could help me!

/Maria

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Maria H, welcome to PF.
If a is the object distance and b is the image distance, then
magnification m = h/H = b/a.
Lens equation is
1/a + 1/b = 1/f rewrite it as
1 + a/b = a/f.
1 + 1/m = a/f.
Substitute the values and find f.

rl.bhat said:
Hi Maria H, welcome to PF.
If a is the object distance and b is the image distance, then
magnification m = h/H = b/a.
Lens equation is
1/a + 1/b = 1/f rewrite it as
1 + a/b = a/f.
1 + 1/m = a/f.
Substitute the values and find f.

Thank you very much Rl.Bhat!

Okey, this is what think.

1/490m+1/0,036m=27,7798.. 1/27,7798..= 0,03599m 35,99mm

It means that a focal length of 35mm is to short. The photografer have to use the length of 50mm. Right?

Now I have. a=490m f=0,050m

If I use 1 + 1/m = a/f with m=h/H i get a very strange result. just a few mm. I think it should be rather around 35 an 50 mm.

I think it would help if a kind soul could show me the steps to find the result to these tasks.
The only think I feel sure about is that a focal length of 50mm i correct.

/Maria

Your calculation of F is not correct. I think you have made mistake in calculating m.
1 + 1/m = a/F
1 + 85/36*10^-3 = 490/F.
Now calculate F

Related to How Do You Choose the Right Lens for Photographing a Building at 490m?

1. What is focal length in optics?

Focal length in optics refers to the distance between the center of a lens or curved mirror and its focal point. It is an important concept in understanding how light is refracted or reflected by optical systems.

2. How is focal length related to magnification?

Focal length is inversely related to magnification, meaning that a shorter focal length will result in a larger magnification and a longer focal length will result in a smaller magnification. This is because a shorter focal length will bend light rays more, resulting in a larger image.

3. What is the difference between a positive and negative focal length?

A positive focal length refers to a converging lens or mirror, which causes parallel light rays to converge at a focal point. A negative focal length refers to a diverging lens or mirror, which causes parallel light rays to spread out as if they originated from a focal point behind the lens or mirror.

4. How does focal length affect depth of field?

Focal length is one of the factors that affects depth of field in photography. A shorter focal length results in a wider depth of field, meaning more of the image will be in focus. A longer focal length results in a narrower depth of field, meaning a smaller portion of the image will be in focus.

5. How is focal length measured?

Focal length is typically measured in millimeters (mm) and is marked on lenses and mirrors. It can also be calculated by measuring the distance between the lens or mirror and the focal point. In some cases, focal length may be expressed in terms of the radius of curvature of the lens or mirror.