Difference between focal length and the distance from the lens

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of lenses in cameras and how to calculate the position of the film or image in relation to the lens. The conversation also touches on the concept of diopters and how they affect the power and focal length of a lens. The importance of understanding the difference between focal length and distance from the lens is also mentioned. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexity of using lenses in photography and the need for a clear understanding of these concepts in order to achieve desired results.
greener1993
Lens and distances

I do use images as help when working theses out. going to try and scan theses in but tryed my best just using pc for now. 0 = lens F = focal length

1) a camera with a 50mm focal length lens is focused on a persons face 1m from the lense. show that the film will be about 53mm behide the lens.
(focal length = 0.05)
------------------0--F--------------
(-) (?) (1m) (+)

Simple knowledge says 1/v=1/u +1/f i then rearranged that to make 1/u=1/1 - 1/ 0.050

= 20... not 53 mm, very confused :S

2) with a zoom lens you can vary the power of a lens. show that a lens power of about 24 dioptre is required to focus a flower that is 250mm in front of the lens on a piece of film that is 50 mm behide the lens.

im extremely confused on this one. I yet again used 1/v=1/u+1/f rearranged it to make 1/u = 1/v - 1/f or 1/u= 1/0.25 - 1/24 = 3.95 :S not 50

I would think I've just messed up the equation in this one.

3)A lamp 400mm from a lens is in focus on a screen 400mm from the lens on the other side of the lens. show that the lens has a power of 5 diopters and a focal lenth of 200mm. Explain why the lamp must be moved nearer to the lens to project its image further away.

im unable to find out how they got 200mm focal lenth from there i can work out the power. 1/0.2 = 5. the wording of this question is extremely bad.

additional help

Just a couple of quick question that arnt on my homework but would like to know for background info.

whats the difference between focal lenth and the distance from the lens and why are they so different? what happens if it is not the same as the focal lenth? it is burred?

Cheers people, Thanks for looking

P.S sorry for bad spelling i have dyslexia:)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1/u=1/1 - 1/ 0.050
Put all distances in the same units. Are you sure about that formula? I seem to remember 1/Di + 1/Do = 1/f where Di is the distance from the lens to the image, Do is the distance from the object to the lens and f is the focal length.

Better look up "dioptre" for #2. You haven't used it correctly.

#3 looks clear to me. Same formula.

I would like to clarify the difference between focal length and the distance from the lens. Focal length is a property of the lens itself and is defined as the distance between the lens and the point where the light rays converge to form a sharp image. It is usually measured in millimeters (mm). On the other hand, the distance from the lens refers to the actual physical distance between the lens and the object or subject being photographed. This distance can vary depending on the position of the object or subject relative to the lens.

In the first question, the film will be about 53mm behind the lens because the focal length of the lens is 50mm and the object is 1m away from the lens. Using the equation 1/v=1/u+1/f, we can calculate the image distance (v) by substituting 1m for the object distance (u) and 50mm for the focal length (f). The result is v=53mm, which means the film will be 53mm behind the lens.

In the second question, the lens power is given in diopters, which is a unit used to measure the optical power of a lens. The equation you used, 1/v=1/u+1/f, is not applicable in this case because it is for thin lenses. For thick lenses, we use a different equation, (n-1)(1/R1+1/R2)=1/f, where n is the refractive index of the lens material, R1 and R2 are the radii of curvature of the lens surfaces, and f is the focal length. Using this equation, we can calculate the required lens power to be 24 diopters.

In the third question, the lens has a power of 5 diopters and a focal length of 200mm. This means that the lens has a curvature that bends light rays to a certain degree, resulting in a focal length of 200mm. The lamp must be moved closer to the lens to project its image further away because the closer the object is to the lens, the larger the image will be. This is due to the fact that the light rays coming from the object will converge more strongly, resulting in a larger image on the screen.

To answer your additional questions, the focal length and the distance from the lens are different because they measure different things. The focal length is a property of the lens itself, while

Related to Difference between focal length and the distance from the lens

1. What is the difference between focal length and the distance from the lens?

Focal length is the distance between the center of a lens and its focal point, where parallel rays of light converge. It is a fixed characteristic of a lens and is measured in millimeters. Distance from the lens refers to the physical distance between the lens and the subject being photographed. It can vary depending on the position of the lens and the subject.

2. How do focal length and distance from the lens affect the appearance of an image?

Focal length determines the magnification and field of view of an image, while distance from the lens affects the perspective and depth of field. A longer focal length will result in a narrower field of view and a more magnified image, while a shorter focal length will result in a wider field of view and a less magnified image. Moving closer or further away from the subject will also change the perspective and depth of field in the image.

3. Can the focal length and distance from the lens be adjusted on a camera?

Yes, most cameras allow for the adjustment of both focal length and distance from the lens through various settings and lens options. For example, a zoom lens allows for the adjustment of focal length, while physically moving closer or further away from the subject can change the distance from the lens.

4. Is there an ideal focal length or distance from the lens for taking certain types of photos?

The ideal focal length and distance from the lens can vary depending on the type of photo you want to take. For example, a longer focal length is often used for portraits to achieve a more flattering perspective, while a wider focal length is preferred for landscape photography to capture more of the scene. Similarly, the distance from the lens can be adjusted to achieve different effects such as shallow or deep depth of field.

5. How does the focal length and distance from the lens affect the sharpness of an image?

The combination of focal length and distance from the lens can affect the sharpness of an image. Generally, a longer focal length and a greater distance from the lens will result in a sharper image, as it minimizes distortion and aberrations. However, it is also important to consider other factors such as aperture and lens quality when aiming for a sharp image.