How Do You Change the Basis of an Operator in Linear Algebra?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the matrix T in different bases and the process of changing bases. The solution involves finding T from scratch instead of using a change of basis, and using the identity matrix in the desired basis to determine T.
perplexabot
Gold Member

Homework Statement

problem_at_hand.png

Homework Equations

[itex] \check{T} = BTB^{-1} [/itex] (eq1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I have a couple of questions here if I may ask... First, I want to be sure I understand the wording of (a) and (b) correctly. Is the following true?:
(a)
Write the matrix T in the basis of x1,x2,x3.
Write the matrix T in the standard R4 basis.
(I just want to make sure that a [and b] actually has two separate parts to be solved!)​
Finally, my attempt:
mat-1.png

So, I am assuming that the T is already in the x1,x2,x3 basis, is that right?
Now to perform a change of basis on T to the standard [itex] R^{4} [/itex] basis.
This is where I am running into a problem!

I know that to get B of eq1 I must perform the operator on the new set of basis (the standard [itex] R^{4} [/itex] basis in this case), use the results to write the new basis in terms of the old one, then the column space of this solution will be B. Once again, assuming to this point what I have done is correct, I do the following:

Let {ε1,ε2, ε3, ε4} be the four standard basis of [itex] R^{4} [/itex]
T*ε1 = :eek:
T being a 4 x 3 matrix and ε1 a 4 x 1 matrix, I am not able to do the multiplication and everything fails!

I have really been at this question for a long long time. Any help/hints will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think what you have already done is to write T in the standard basis for ##\mathbb{R}^3## and ##\mathbb{R}^4##.
To do this in the ##\{x_1, x_2, x_3\}## basis, you would be looking for something that takes
##1x_1= \left[ \begin{array}{c} 1\\ 0\\ 0 \end{array}\right] ## to ##y_1##. And so on for ##x_2, x_3##.

Likes perplexabot
RUber said:
I think what you have already done is to write T in the standard basis for ##\mathbb{R}^3## and ##\mathbb{R}^4##.
So you are saying the T that I have found is in the basis for ##\mathbb{R}^3## AND ##\mathbb{R}^4##?
RUber said:
To do this in the ##\{x_1, x_2, x_3\}## basis, you would be looking for something that takes
##1x_1= \left[ \begin{array}{c} 1\\ 0\\ 0 \end{array}\right] ## to ##y_1##. And so on for ##x_2, x_3##.
Wow. I think I understand what to do. So just form T from scratch instead of going through the change of basis. That makes so much sense. I will try that now. THANKS!

Right, both outputs are in the standard basis for ##\mathbb{R}^4##.
If you are using ##\{x_i\}## as your basis vectors, then ##\{x_1,x_2,x_3\} ## should look like the 3x3 identity matrix.
And T in this basis would be the operator that takes the 3x3 identity to ##\{y_1,y_2,y_3\} ##

Likes perplexabot
RUber said:
Right, both outputs are in the standard basis for ##\mathbb{R}^4##.
If you are using ##\{x_i\}## as your basis vectors, then ##\{x_1,x_2,x_3\} ## should look like the 3x3 identity matrix.
And T in this basis would be the operator that takes the 3x3 identity to ##\{y_1,y_2,y_3\} ##

Thank you, that makes great sense.
EDIT: So T = y

Last edited:

Related to How Do You Change the Basis of an Operator in Linear Algebra?

1. What is an operator change of basis?

An operator change of basis is a mathematical process used to transform a linear operator from one basis to another. It allows for the representation of the same linear transformation using different coordinate systems.

2. Why is operator change of basis important?

Operator change of basis is important because it allows for easier and more efficient calculations in different coordinate systems. It also helps to simplify complex linear transformations and make them more easily understood.

3. What is the difference between an operator change of basis and a change of basis?

An operator change of basis is specifically related to linear operators, while a change of basis can refer to any transformation from one basis to another. The process of operator change of basis involves transforming not only the basis vectors, but also the operator itself to maintain the same linear transformation.

4. How is operator change of basis related to matrix diagonalization?

Operator change of basis is closely related to matrix diagonalization because both processes involve transforming a linear operator into a simpler form. In diagonalization, the goal is to express the operator as a diagonal matrix, while in operator change of basis, the goal is to express the operator in a different coordinate system.

5. What are some real-world applications of operator change of basis?

Operator change of basis has many real-world applications, such as in quantum mechanics, signal processing, and computer graphics. It is also used in engineering and physics to simplify and analyze complex systems and equations.