Linear transformation and change of basis

In summary: But if I were to find the change of basis matrix, what would it be?In summary, the linear transformation [-8,-4;9,4] expressed in terms of the basis B = {(1, -2),(2, -3)} has a matrix representation of [-2,0;1,-2]. To find the change of basis matrix, one would need to find the coefficients α1, α2, β1, and β2 in the matrix [α1,β1;α2,β2].
negation

Homework Statement

Let B = {(1, -2),(2, -3)} and S be the standard basis of R2
and [-8,-4;9,4]
be a linear transformation expressed in terms of the standard basis?

The Attempt at a Solution

1) What is the change of basis matrix PSB ?
-2,-3

2)What is the change of basis matrix PBS ?
-3,-2

What is the linear transform expressed in terms of the basis B?
i spent 4 hours going through the proof for this part but unable to bridge a connection. Something is lacking in my understanding.
Give me a step by step guidance on this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
pondzo said:
I won't give you a step by step guide but i will provide a link that gives a better one than i ever could!
https://www.khanacademy.org/math/li...transformation-matrix-with-respect-to-a-basis

Khan is good but his proof and subscript can at times be sloppy. I enjoy Mathispower4u (discovered it before Physicforum did) but it seems there are no videos on change on basis on Mathispower4u.

But anyway, I have a much rigorous proof on hand that I wish to understand fully.

The transformation machine that maps the vector v with respect to the standard basis, s, is given as [f(v)]s.
[f(v)]s = Ass [v]s
Ass = [ [f(e1)]s [f(e2)]s...[f(en)]s ] (I don't get this part)

There's more to come but I hope to understand this part first before proceeding...

Last edited:
The basic point is this: if we have basis {u, v} then every vector can be written in the form au+ bv and represented as "[itex]\begin{bmatrix}a \\ b\end{bmatrix}[/itex]". In particular, u= 1u+ 0v and is represented as [itex]\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/itex] while v= 0u+ 1v and is represented as [itex]\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}[/itex]. Now suppose linear transformation, A, is represented by the matrix
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Then Au is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}a \\ c \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and Av is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}b \\ d\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

That is, applying the linear transformation to the basis vectors, and then writing the result as a linear combination of the basis vectors, the coefficents give the columns.

In this particular case,
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}-8 & -4\\ 9 & 4\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ -2\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and we can write [itex]\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}= -2\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ -2\end{bmatrix}+ 1\begin{bmatrix}2 \\ -3\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

so the first column of the matrix representation is [itex]\begin{bmatrix}-2 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

Similarly,
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}-8 & -4\\ 9 & 4\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}2 \\ -3\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}-4 \\ 6\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and [itex]\begin{bmatrix}-4 \\ 6\end{bmatrix}= 0\begin{bmatrix}1 \\-2\end{bmatrix}- 2\begin{bmatrix}2 \\ -3\end{bmatrix}[/itex]
so the second column is [itex]\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ -2\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

The matrix representation in this (ordered) basis is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}-2 & 0 \\1 & -2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
The basic point is this: if we have basis {u, v} then every vector can be written in the form au+ bv and represented as "[itex]\begin{bmatrix}a \\ b\end{bmatrix}[/itex]". In particular, u= 1u+ 0v and is represented as [itex]\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/itex] while v= 0u+ 1v and is represented as [itex]\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}[/itex]. Now suppose linear transformation, A, is represented by the matrix
Then Au is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}a \\ c \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and Av is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}b \\ d\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

That is, applying the linear transformation to the basis vectors, and then writing the result as a linear combination of the basis vectors, the coefficents give the columns.

In this particular case,
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}-8 & -4\\ 9 & 4\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ -2\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and we can write [itex]\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}= -2\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ -2\end{bmatrix}+ 1\begin{bmatrix}2 \\ -3\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

so the first column of the matrix representation is [itex]\begin{bmatrix}-2 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

Similarly,
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}-8 & -4\\ 9 & 4\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}2 \\ -3\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}-4 \\ 6\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and [itex]\begin{bmatrix}-4 \\ 6\end{bmatrix}= 0\begin{bmatrix}1 \\-2\end{bmatrix}- 2\begin{bmatrix}2 \\ -3\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

Would the outcome be any different if I first went down the route of

[-8;-9] = α1[1;0] + α2[0;1]
[-4;4] = β1[1;0] + β1[0;1]

that is, I express each column of the matrix A as a linear combination of the vectors in S.

HallsofIvy said:
The basic point is this: if we have basis {u, v} then every vector can be written in the form au+ bv and represented as "[itex]\begin{bmatrix}a \\ b\end{bmatrix}[/itex]". In particular, u= 1u+ 0v and is represented as [itex]\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/itex] while v= 0u+ 1v and is represented as [itex]\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}[/itex].

Now suppose linear transformation, A, is represented by the matrix
Then Au is
and Av is

In this particular case,

Similarly,

Ok I got this. Basically, all I had to find was [T(x)s]B.

Related to Linear transformation and change of basis

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another vector space while preserving the basic structure of the original space. It can be represented by a matrix and is characterized by two properties: additivity and homogeneity.

2. How does a change of basis affect a linear transformation?

A change of basis involves transforming the original coordinate system to a new one. This affects a linear transformation because the transformation may look different in the new coordinate system, but it is still the same underlying function. The change of basis can be represented by a matrix multiplication and can help simplify calculations.

3. What is the difference between an active and passive change of basis?

An active change of basis involves transforming the coordinates of the vectors, while keeping the basis vectors fixed. A passive change of basis involves keeping the coordinates fixed and transforming the basis vectors. Both approaches result in the same transformation, but the interpretation and calculations may differ.

4. Can a linear transformation be inverted?

Not all linear transformations can be inverted. A linear transformation can only be inverted if it is a one-to-one function, meaning that each input has a unique output. This is equivalent to the determinant of the transformation matrix being non-zero. If the transformation is not one-to-one, it cannot be inverted.

5. How is a linear transformation represented in matrix form?

A linear transformation can be represented by a transformation matrix, which is a matrix that maps the original vectors to the transformed vectors. The columns of the matrix are the transformed basis vectors, and the transformation can be applied by multiplying the matrix with the original vector. The resulting vector will be the transformed vector in the new coordinate system.