How Do You Calculate Velocity at Equilibrium in Simple Harmonic Motion?

In summary, a 0.55 kg mass attached to a spring with an amplitude of 0.16 m vibrates at a frequency of 2.0 times per second. To determine the velocity at the equilibrium point, one can use the equation vmax = 2πAf, where A is the amplitude and f is the frequency. The frequency of oscillation is related to the spring constant k and other factors also contribute to determining the frequency. To find the midpoint velocity, one can use the conservation of energy or differentiate the SHM equation y(t) = A*sin(ωt) with ω = √(k/m).
chazgurl4life
A 0.55 kg mass at the end of a spring vibrates 2.0 times per second with an amplitude of 0.16 m.
(a) Determine the velocity when it passes the equilibrium point.
I have no idea how to figure this out

i mean to figure out velocity ...we use this equstion vmax= 2pi*Amplitude* Frequency

I ahve the amplitude but no frequency..im i using the right process?

Physics news on Phys.org
How is the frequency of oscillation related to the spring constant k? What else determines the frequency of oscillation? Once you have k, do you have what you need to figure out the midpoint velocity? You can also do it with energy conservation (KE + PE = constant)...

Ok so i know that K= (2pi*freq.)^2* mass and then once i have K i can uses vmax= 2pi Af and solve for A?

chazgurl4life said:
Ok so i know that K= (2pi*freq.)^2* mass and then once i have K i can uses vmax= 2pi Af and solve for A?
I thought you had the amplitude and frequency already. What is the SHM equation for the motion of the object in terms of the mass, spring constant k, amplitude and frequency?

y(t) = something * sin( something * t )

And then you can get the velocity by differentiating, right? Or else just take the easy way out and use the conservation of energy method that I mentioned.

Related to How Do You Calculate Velocity at Equilibrium in Simple Harmonic Motion?

1. What are vibrations and waves?

Vibrations and waves are disturbances that travel through a medium, transferring energy from one place to another.

2. What causes vibrations and waves?

Vibrations and waves can be caused by a variety of factors, including mechanical disturbances, sound waves, and electromagnetic radiation.

3. How do vibrations and waves differ?

Vibrations and waves are closely related phenomena, but there are some key differences. Vibrations involve periodic back-and-forth motion, while waves involve the transfer of energy through a medium without the actual transfer of matter.

4. What are some real-world applications of vibrations and waves?

Vibrations and waves have many practical applications, such as in communication technology (radio waves), medical imaging (ultrasound waves), and earthquake detection (seismic waves).

5. How can I measure vibrations and waves?

There are various instruments and techniques that can be used to measure vibrations and waves, depending on the specific type and frequency of the disturbance. Some examples include seismographs for measuring earthquake waves and spectrometers for analyzing electromagnetic waves.