How Do You Calculate the Work Function in a Photoelectric Experiment?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a photoelectric experiment in which the metal plate of an evacuated phototube is illuminated with monochromatic light and the resulting current is measured for various applied potential differences. The conversation includes attempts at solving for the maximum kinetic energy of the photoelectrons and the work function of the metal plate. The conversation also asks about the effect of applying a potential on the electron.
iym185
alrighty, run into another problem in this assignment, while my last question i somewhat get... I am not sure at all what to do here, mainly cause i don't really get the graph...

Homework Statement

1. In a photoelectric experiment, the metal plate of an evacuated phototube is illuminated with monochromatic light of wavelength 365 nm. The current I in the circuit, is measured for various values of V, the applied potential difference between metal plate and collector. The results are shown in the below graph.

[PLAIN]http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/2575/graphm.png (i) Calculate the maximum kinetic energy of the photoelectrons.
(ii) Deduce the work function of the metal plate.

Homework Equations

Emax = hf - wo

Emax = 1/2mev^2

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) my friend suggested i use the equation:

E = hc/λ to find the energy... but I am not too sure that's correct.. i mean, we know the λ = 35nm so i can use that to find E, as h and c are also know and such, which would give us:

E = (6.626×10^−34)(3=10^8) / 365x10^-9
E = 5.4x10^-19
im just not sure if that's correct as the equation that i know of for finding the max K.E is:

E = 1/2mv^2

as for part (ii), i know what work function here is:

Work function is the minimum energy needed to remove an electron from a solid to a point immediately outside the solid surface.

and i know the equation to use:

Emax = hf - wo, rearranging to get:

wo = hf - E, the E we can get from above part, h is = 6.626×10^−34, f [i think] can be found using f = c/λ which will give us f = 8.2x10^14

so ya, assuming my part (ii) us correct, I am having trouble with part (i), if anyone could PLEASE help.. ty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What effect do you think applying a potential V has on our electron? ( think about it for when we apply positive V and when we apply negative V )

Related to How Do You Calculate the Work Function in a Photoelectric Experiment?

1. What is the work function?

The work function is a physical quantity that describes the minimum amount of energy required for an electron to be removed from the surface of a material. It is measured in electron-volts (eV) and is also known as the electron affinity or ionization potential.

2. How is the work function calculated?

The work function can be calculated by subtracting the minimum energy of the conduction band from the Fermi energy level of a material. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the stopping potential of a photoelectric effect experiment.

3. What factors affect the work function?

The work function of a material can be affected by various factors such as the type of material, its crystal structure, temperature, and the presence of impurities. It can also be altered by the application of an external electric field or through the use of doping techniques.

4. Why is the work function important?

The work function is important because it determines the ease with which electrons can be emitted from a material's surface. It is a key factor in understanding the behavior of materials in various electronic devices such as solar cells, transistors, and photodiodes.

5. How does the work function relate to the band gap of a material?

The work function and the band gap of a material are closely related. The band gap is the energy difference between the valence and conduction bands of a material, while the work function is the minimum energy required to move an electron from the valence band to the conduction band. In general, a larger band gap corresponds to a higher work function.