Finding the wavelength from the work function in photoemission

In summary, the formula for maximum electron energy in the photoelectric effect is E = (hc/λ) - σ, where E is the maximum energy, h is Planck's constant, λ is the wavelength, and σ is the work function. To find the maximum wavelength for photoemission, we can use the formula λ = hc/(E+σ), where E is the minimum energy of 0 and σ is the work function. This results in a maximum wavelength of 5.4 x 10-7 m.
EmmaLemming

Homework Statement

a) Write down the formula that relates the maximum electron energy, Emax. to the
frequency of the incident light in the photoelectric effect.

b) Calculate the maximum wavelength of light for which photoemission occurs for light
incident on a metal whose workfunction is 2.30 eV.

2. The attempt at a solution

a) E = hf - σ

where E is the maximum energy, h is Planck's constant and σ is the work function.

b) E = (hc/λ) - σ

where λ is the wavelength and c is the speed of light in a vacuum

∴ λ = hc/(E+σ)

However I'm not given the energy so how am I to calculate λ?

Is there another way to calculate E?
I looked in my textbook but found nothing relevant :(

Physics news on Phys.org
EmmaLemming said:

Homework Statement

a) Write down the formula that relates the maximum electron energy, Emax. to the
frequency of the incident light in the photoelectric effect.

b) Calculate the maximum wavelength of light for which photoemission occurs for light
incident on a metal whose workfunction is 2.30 eV.2. The attempt at a solution

a) E = hf - σ

where E is the maximum energy, h is Planck's constant and σ is the work function.

b) E = (hc/λ) - σ

where λ is the wavelength and c is the speed of light in a vacuum

∴ λ = hc/(E+σ)

However I'm not given the energy so how am I to calculate λ?
The problem statement asked for "maximum wavelength". Don't forget, maximum wavelength corresponds to minimum frequency; thus minimum energy.

What happens if the wavelength is so large that hc/λ = σ ? :wink: What's the wavelength that would cause photoemission to occur, but without any leftover energy?

Okay, so I assume that minimum energy is 0 and then write,

hc/σ = λ

I get, λ = 5.4 x 10-7 m

That seems reasonable , right?

I don't know the answer to your last question.

EmmaLemming said:
Okay, so I assume that minimum energy is 0 and then write,

hc/σ = λ

I get, λ = 5.4 x 10-7 m

That seems reasonable , right?
'Looks right to me. :approve:
I don't know the answer to your last question.

What I mean is that if the light's wavelength is too big, there is not enough energy to overcome the work function and photo-emission doesn't take place at all. As you decrease the wavelength, the energy increases. Decrease it enough and photo-emission begins to occur. Decrease the wavelength even more and the leftover photon energy can end up becoming electron energy.

So the maximum wavelength is the wavelength where the maximum electron energy is zero.

I would first clarify the information provided in the problem. It states that the work function of the metal is 2.30 eV, which is a unit of energy. Therefore, we can use this value to calculate the maximum energy of the emitted electrons.

The formula E = hf - σ is used to calculate the maximum energy of the emitted electrons, where h is Planck's constant and f is the frequency of the incident light. We can rearrange this formula to solve for the frequency, as follows:

f = (E + σ) / h

Now, we can use this frequency to calculate the wavelength of the incident light using the formula λ = c/f, where c is the speed of light in a vacuum. This gives us the maximum wavelength of light for which photoemission occurs.

However, if we are not given the energy of the emitted electrons, we can still calculate the maximum wavelength using the work function and the speed of light. The work function, σ, is defined as the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of the metal. Therefore, the energy of the incident light must be greater than or equal to the work function in order for photoemission to occur.

We can use this information to set up an inequality:

E ≥ σ

This means that the energy of the incident light must be greater than or equal to the work function. Rearranging this inequality gives us:

E + σ ≥ 0

Now, we can use this value in the formula λ = hc/(E+σ), as follows:

λ = hc/(E+σ) ≥ hc/0

Since division by zero is undefined, this means that the maximum wavelength of light for which photoemission occurs is infinite. This makes sense, as any wavelength of light with enough energy to overcome the work function will result in photoemission. Therefore, the maximum wavelength is not a specific value, but rather a range of values with no upper limit.

In conclusion, the formula E = hf - σ can be used to calculate the maximum energy of the emitted electrons, which can then be used to calculate the maximum wavelength of light for photoemission. However, if the energy is not given, we can still determine that the maximum wavelength is infinite using the work function and the speed of light.

Related to Finding the wavelength from the work function in photoemission

1. What is the relationship between the work function and the wavelength in photoemission?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to eject an electron from a material. The wavelength, on the other hand, is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave. In photoemission, the energy of the incident photon must be equal to or greater than the work function for the electron to be ejected. Therefore, the work function and the wavelength are inversely proportional - as the work function increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

2. How is the work function determined experimentally in photoemission?

The work function can be determined experimentally by measuring the kinetic energy of the ejected electrons using a spectrometer. By knowing the energy of the incident photon and the kinetic energy of the ejected electrons, the work function can be calculated using the formula: work function = energy of incident photon - kinetic energy of ejected electrons.

3. Can the work function vary for different materials?

Yes, the work function can vary for different materials. It is a characteristic property of a specific material and is affected by factors such as the material's electronic structure, surface conditions, and temperature. The work function can also vary within the same material depending on its crystal structure or chemical composition.

4. Can the wavelength be directly measured in photoemission?

No, the wavelength cannot be directly measured in photoemission. It can only be calculated using the formula: wavelength = Planck's constant / (mass of electron x velocity of electron). The velocity of the ejected electron can be determined experimentally, but the mass of the electron and Planck's constant are known constants.

5. How does the work function affect the efficiency of photoemission?

The work function has a direct impact on the efficiency of photoemission. A lower work function means that a lower energy photon can eject an electron, making the process more efficient. On the other hand, a higher work function requires a higher energy photon, which may not be readily available, leading to a lower efficiency. Therefore, materials with lower work functions are more efficient in photoemission compared to those with higher work functions.