Find the photoelectric work function for this metal

In summary, the conversation discusses the finding of the photoelectric work function for a metal from a graph depicting the stopping potential as a function of the frequency of incident light. The solution involves using the gradient of the straight line on the graph and the constant h (Plank's constant) to calculate the work function, which is found to be 4.8eV. There is also a discussion about the threshold frequency and how to find h from the graph. Ultimately, it is determined that h can be obtained from the graph by using the slope of the line and the constant e.
icelated

Homework Statement

The graph in fig shows the stopping potential as a function of the frequency of the incident light falling on the metal surface.

Find the photoelectric work function for this metal

Homework Equations

[itex]V_0 =\frac{hf}{e}-\frac{\phi}{e}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From the graph, fth =1.25×10 Hz.
I am completely lost.
The solution gives 4.8ev
is it h times threshold?
how do you find h?

Attachments

• g.PNG
    g.PNG
    4.9 KB · Views: 1,233
Physics news on Phys.org
icelated said:
From the graph, fth =1.25×10 Hz.
I am completely lost.
The solution gives 4.8ev
is it h times threshold?
how do you find h?
yep. the work function is just the threshold frequency times h. Although, I don't think the threshold frequency is 1.25*10 Hz... shouldn't it be 10 to the power of something? I can't tell because the graph is a bit hard to read. and how to find h? Um. It is just a constant. It should be given to you in the question, or you can look it up online.

Likes 1 person
h is the gradient of the straight line, you need 'e' to convert stopping potential into energy in joules

Likes 1 person
The solutions said fth =1.25×10^15 Hz.
h = planks constant = 6.26x10^-36
if you multiply you get 8.2825 i have to assume that's in jewels
so i convert that to ev
8.2825 / 1.6 x 10^-19 = 5.17ev

but the answer is 4.8ev

I think i got it.
h= (e)(slope) = (1.60×10−16 C)(3.8×10−15 V ⋅ s) = 6.1×10^−34 J ⋅ s
(6.1×10^−34 Js)(1.25x10^15) = 7.75x10^-19
then convert to ev
7.75x10^-19 / 1.6x10^-19 = 4.84 x10^-19

ah, good work. I see, you got h from the graph. nice, I didn't think of that.

Likes 1 person
BruceW said:
ah, good work. I see, you got h from the graph. nice, I didn't think of that.

Yes, i got h from the graph. Thank you.

Related to Find the photoelectric work function for this metal

1. What is the photoelectric work function?

The photoelectric work function is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of a metal. It is typically measured in electron volts (eV) or joules (J).

2. How is the photoelectric work function determined?

The photoelectric work function can be determined experimentally by measuring the kinetic energy of photoelectrons emitted from the metal surface when it is exposed to light of different frequencies. The work function can then be calculated using the equation: hv = Φ + 1/2mv2, where h is Planck's constant, v is the frequency of the incoming light, Φ is the work function, and m is the mass of the electron.

3. What factors affect the photoelectric work function?

The photoelectric work function is affected by the type of metal, the crystal structure of the metal, and the surface conditions of the metal. It also varies with temperature and can be affected by external electric fields.

4. Why is the photoelectric work function important?

The photoelectric work function is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electrons in metals and their interaction with light. It also has practical applications in fields like solar energy, where the photoelectric effect is used to convert light into electricity.

5. Can the photoelectric work function be changed?

Yes, the photoelectric work function can be changed by altering the surface conditions of the metal, such as by applying a coating or by exposing it to certain gases. It can also be changed by applying an external electric field or by heating the metal.